King David “as an angel of God”?
The biblical character King David is often represented as a great Bible hero. For instance:
- God says, "I have found David the son of Jesse a man after mine own heart." Acts 13:22
- "My lord the King [David] ...is as an angel of God," 2 Sam 19:27
- "My lord [King David] fighteth the battles of the LORD, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days." 1 Sam. 25:28
- "King David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite." 1 Kings 15:5
But let’s look at some of the things King David did:
- He was really good at killing people. 1 Sam. 18:7
- He told his friend, Jonathan, to lie. 1 Sam. 20:5-6
- King David lied to a high priest. 1 Sam. 21:1-2
- He committed extortion. 1 Sam 25:5-8
- King David committed unprovoked aggression and mass killing of men and women. 1 Sam. 27:8-11
- With God’s approval he committed bigamy and polygamy. 2 Sam. 3:2-3, 5:13
- Exposed himself like a pervert. 2 Sam. 6:20
- He hamstrung over 1,000 horses. 2 Sam. 8:4
- He impregnated another man's wife. 2 Sam. 11:2-5
- Intentionally arranged for a man to be killed in battle so he could have his wife. 2 Sam. 11:14-17
- He despised the word of the Lord. 2 Sam. 12:9-11
- He sent seven of Saul's descendants to be given as human sacrifices to Yahweh. 2 Sam. 21:1-9
- He locked up ten concubines for life for no apparent reason. 2 Sam. 20:3
- He sinned by taking a census which caused Yahweh to kill 70,000 people. 2 Sam. 24:19
As a Bible hero, David is often given as an example of someone to look up to. What do you think? Would you want to associate with someone who behaved like this?
Read the Bible, it’s not what you have been told.
Read more at http://www.nobeliefs.com/DarkBible/darkbible3.htm and http://www.religioustolerance.org/imm_bibl2.htm.