Bush slides to All-time Low

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Bush slides to All-time Low

Post by Dardedar »

(CBS) The latest CBS News poll finds President Bush's approval rating has fallen to an all-time low of 34 percent, while pessimism about the Iraq war has risen to a new high.

Americans are also overwhelmingly opposed to the Bush-backed deal giving a Dubai-owned company operational control over six major U.S. ports. Seven in 10 Americans, including 58 percent of Republicans, say they're opposed to the agreement.

In a separate poll, two out of three Americans said they do not think President Bush has responded adequately to the needs of Katrina victims. Only 32 percent approve of the way President Bush is responding to those needs, a drop of 12 points from last September’s poll, taken just two weeks after the storm made landfall.

Just 30 percent approve of how Mr. Bush is handling the Iraq war, another all-time low.

By two to one, the poll finds Americans think U.S. efforts to bring stability to Iraq are going badly – the worst assessment yet of progress in Iraq.

Even on fighting terrorism, which has long been a strong suit for Mr. Bush, his ratings dropped lower than ever. Half of Americans say they disapprove of how he's handling the war on terror, while 43 percent approve.

...Just 18 percent said they had a favorable view of the vice president, down from 23 percent in January.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/ ... 0874.shtml

Doug

You Beat Me To It!

Post by Doug »

DOUG writes:
Ahh, you beat me to it. I just heard of Bush's dismal poll ratings on Air America and I was going to post that info here.

Dare we be so optimistic to suppose that America is waking up?

Nah...
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

The good news is that people are starting to realize that Bush is a scumbag. The bad news is that they buy his villification of Muslims, his support for interventionism, and his worship of State. They still see Big Brother as their friend instead of their enemy. Thus, they'll simply switch tyrants. If you read the news, you know that Hitlery is just as much a warmonger as Bush. So the US sheeple will make yet another cosmetic change in personnel - and the War Party wins again.

Tweedledee or Tweedledum - don't vote.
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

okay, so the majority have FINALLY figured out that GWB is a worthless horrible disaster monkey with evil motives. Now, what? Do we have to wait until 2008 *(too late) for anything to change?
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Hogeye wrote:The good news is that people are starting to realize that Bush is a scumbag. The bad news is that they buy his villification of Muslims, ...
DAR
When/where has Bush villified Muslims?

D.

----------------------
In the President’s Words: Respecting Islam

# "Here in the United States our Muslim citizens are making many contributions in business, science and law, medicine and education, and in other fields. Muslim members of our Armed Forces and of my administration are serving their fellow Americans with distinction, upholding our nation's ideals of liberty and justice in a world at peace."

Remarks by the President on Eid Al-Fitr
The Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
December 5, 2002

# "Over the past month, Muslims have fasted, taking no food or water during daylight hours, in order to refocus their minds on faith and redirect their hearts to charity. Muslims worldwide have stretched out a hand of mercy to those in need. Charity tables at which the poor can break their fast line the streets of cities and towns. And gifts of food and clothing and money are distributed to ensure that all share in God's abundance. Muslims often invite members of other families to their evening iftar meals, demonstrating a spirit of tolerance."

Remarks by the President on Eid Al-Fitr
The Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
December 5, 2002

# "America treasures the relationship we have with our many Muslim friends, and we respect the vibrant faith of Islam which inspires countless individuals to lead lives of honesty, integrity, and morality. This year, may Eid also be a time in which we recognize the values of progress, pluralism, and acceptance that bind us together as a Nation and a global community. By working together to advance mutual understanding, we point the way to a brighter future for all."

Presidential Message Eid al-Fitr
December 5, 2002

# "Islam brings hope and comfort to millions of people in my country, and to more than a billion people worldwide. Ramadan is also an occasion to remember that Islam gave birth to a rich civilization of learning that has benefited mankind."

President's Eid al-Fitr Greeting to Muslims around the World
December 4, 2002

# "Ours is a war not against a religion, not against the Muslim faith. But ours is a war against individuals who absolutely hate what America stands for, and hate the freedom of the Czech Republic. And therefore, we must work together to defend ourselves. And by remaining strong and united and tough, we'll prevail."

Press Conference by President Bush and President Havel of Czech Republic
Prague Castle, Prague, Czech Republic
November 20, 2002

# "Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans. Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others. Ours is a country based upon tolerance and we welcome people of all faiths in America."

Remarks by President George W. Bush in a statement to reporters during a meeting with U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan
The Oval Office, Washington, DC
November 13, 2002

# "We see in Islam a religion that traces its origins back to God's call on Abraham. We share your belief in God's justice, and your insistence on man's moral responsibility. We thank the many Muslim nations who stand with us against terror. Nations that are often victims of terror, themselves."

President Hosts Iftaar Dinner
Remarks by the President at Iftaar Dinner
State Dining Room

# "Islam is a vibrant faith. Millions of our fellow citizens are Muslim. We respect the faith. We honor its traditions. Our enemy does not. Our enemy doesn't follow the great traditions of Islam. They've hijacked a great religion."

Remarks by President George W. Bush on U.S. Humanitarian Aid to Afghanistan
Presidential Hall, Dwight David Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Washington, D.C.
October 11, 2002

# "Islam is a faith that brings comfort to people. It inspires them to lead lives based on honesty, and justice, and compassion."

Remarks by President George W. Bush on U.S. Humanitarian Aid to Afghanistan
Presidential Hall, Dwight David Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Washington, D.C.
October 11, 2002

# "All Americans must recognize that the face of terror is not the true faith -- face of Islam. Islam is a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world. It's a faith that has made brothers and sisters of every race. It's a faith based upon love, not hate."

President George W. Bush Holds Roundtable with Arab and Muslim-American Leaders
Afghanistan Embassy, Washington, D.C.
September 10, 2002

# "If liberty can blossom in the rocky soil of the West Bank and Gaza, it will inspire millions of men and women around the globe who are equally weary of poverty and oppression, equally entitled to the benefits of democratic government. I have a hope for the people of Muslim countries. Your commitments to morality, and learning, and tolerance led to great historical achievements. And those values are alive in the Islamic world today. You have a rich culture, and you share the aspirations of men and women in every culture. Prosperity and freedom and dignity are not just American hopes, or Western hopes. They are universal, human hopes. And even in the violence and turmoil of the Middle East, America believes those hopes have the power to transform lives and nations."

President George W. Bush Calls for New Palestinian Leadership
The Rose Garden, Washington, D.C.
June 24, 2002

# "America rejects bigotry. We reject every act of hatred against people of Arab background or Muslim faith America values and welcomes peaceful people of all faiths -- Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu and many others. Every faith is practiced and protected here, because we are one country. Every immigrant can be fully and equally American because we're one country. Race and color should not divide us, because America is one country."

President George W. Bush Promotes Compassionate Conservatism
Parkside Hall, San Jose, California
April 30, 2002

# "We're taking action against evil people. Because this great nation of many religions understands, our war is not against Islam, or against faith practiced by the Muslim people. Our war is a war against evil. This is clearly a case of good versus evil, and make no mistake about it -- good will prevail."

Remarks by the President George W. Bush at a Town Hall Meeting with Citizens of Ontario
Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, California
January 5, 2002

# "The Islam that we know is a faith devoted to the worship of one God, as revealed through The Holy Qur'an. It teaches the value and the importance of charity, mercy, and peace."

President George W. Bush's Message for Ramadan
November 15, 2001

# "This new enemy seeks to destroy our freedom and impose its views. We value life; the terrorists ruthlessly destroy it. We value education; the terrorists do not believe women should be educated or should have health care, or should leave their homes. We value the right to speak our minds; for the terrorists, free expression can be grounds for execution. We respect people of all faiths and welcome the free practice of religion; our enemy wants to dictate how to think and how to worship even to their fellow Muslims."

President George W. Bush Addresses the Nation
World Congress Center, Atlanta, Georgia
November 8, 2001

# "All of us here today understand this: We do not fight Islam, we fight against evil."

Remarks by President George W. Bush to the Warsaw Conference on Combating Terrorism
November 6, 2001

# "I have assured His Majesty that our war is against evil, not against Islam. There are thousands of Muslims who proudly call themselves Americans, and they know what I know -- that the Muslim faith is based upon peace and love and compassion. The exact opposite of the teachings of the al Qaeda organization, which is based upon evil and hate and destruction."

Remarks by President George W. Bush and His Majesty King Abdullah of Jordan
The Oval Office, Washington, D.C.
September 28, 2001

# "Americans understand we fight not a religion; ours is not a campaign against the Muslim faith. Ours is a campaign against evil."

President George W. Bush Remarks by the President to Airline Employees
O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, Illinois
September 27, 2001

"The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them."

President George W. Bush's Address to a Joint Session of Congress and the American People
United States Capitol, Washington, D.C.
September 20, 2001

# "I've made it clear, Madam President, that the war against terrorism is not a war against Muslims, nor is it a war against Arabs. It's a war against evil people who conduct crimes against innocent people."

Remarks by President George W. Bush and President Megawati of Indonesia
The Oval Office, Washington, D.C.
September 19, 2001

# "The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don't represent peace. They represent evil and war."

Remarks by the President at Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C.
September 17, 2001
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

DAR - I don't have any quotes to the contrary, but you note all those were from the campaign season before the '02 congressional elections. W & Co have definitely given the impression that Muslim=Terrorist. However, it really doesn't matter how low W's ratings go - he doesn't care. He will continue to do what he wants to do and his party will fall in line like whipped dogs. (Cheney will do any whipping necessary.) Unless the owners' of the MSM decide the Republican Party is too expensive at the moment (scandals and all that), we will continue to get the "Grand Old Party" vs the disorganized tax-and-spend Dems propaganda - this election, next election, every election until the media monopoly is broken or they decide to switch parties. They feed Hogeye's "no difference" claims, just like they fed Nadar's claims in 2000 that Clinton & Gore had done nothing on the energy/environment/global warming front, by ignoring & refusing to publish any facts showing otherwise. Lies by omission are still lies. One thing I like better about the Parlimentary system than our federal system is - with polling numbers like this - an election could be forced by a "vote of no confidence", but we're stuck wit W & Co until January 2009 (barring the unlikelihood of impeachment).
Doug

Post by Doug »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:However, it really doesn't matter how low W's ratings go - he doesn't care. He will continue to do what he wants to do and his party will fall in line like whipped dogs. (Cheney will do any whipping necessary.)
DOUG
Well, not exactly. Bush pulled out Harriet Miers when that was unpopular, and he obviously, in his dull world, wanted her to be on the Supreme Court. He also did a flip-flop on whether we should have a department of Homeland Security and whether we should have a 9-11 Commission.

Bush used to be immune to polls--until his "went south."
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

Okay, I'm convinced that Bush didn't villify Muslims. He talks a good (tolerance) game, and in his speeches separates Islam from Islamo-fascism.
Bush wrote:[Islamic terrorist] attacks serve a clear and focused ideology, a set of beliefs and goals that are evil, but not insane. Some call this evil Islamic radicalism; others, militant Jihadism; still others, Islamo-fascism. Whatever it's called, this ideology is very different from the religion of Islam.
So, tomorrow will people in Iran be declared "Muslim" or "Islamo-fascist" by Bush? What about people in Pakistan, when they kick out their current ruler?
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DOUG
Bush pulled out Harriet Miers when that was unpopular, and he obviously, in his dull world, wanted her to be on the Supreme Court. He also did a flip-flop on whether we should have a department of Homeland Security and whether we should have a 9-11 Commission.

DAR
Reminds me of this comment:

"Bush believes in bumping chests. And when he finds somebody with a bigger chest then he will step back. He did it on torture and he is doing it on the surveillance story. Bush, when people push back, gives in. Social Security, you name it, he gives in. Bush's lines in the sand stay there only until the next tide comes in."
-- Brookings Institution scholar Ivo Daalder, an expert on Der Monkey and foreign policy
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Barbara Fitzpatrick

Ivo Daalder was incorrect - Bush doesn't give in, he just backs off a little to find a better place to stick it to us. Notice he slipped Social Security privatization and drilling in AWR into the '07 budget - and he is still torturing and wiretapping, the only thing he backed off on was vetoing the legislation & why should he bother, since he has no intension of following the law anyway.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

The Master of D

Post by Dardedar »

D.
-----------------------
"Bush speaks to the audience as if they're idiots. I think the reason he does that is because that's the way these issues were explained to him."
-- Graydon Carter
Last edited by Dardedar on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dardedar
Site Admin

For Hogeye

Post by Dardedar »

Hogeye will love this one:

Dardedar
Site Admin

Where have all the red states gone?

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Important Whopper from Bush today

Post by Dardedar »

Bush today:
"First, just if I might correct a misperception, I don't think we ever said -- at least I know I didn't say that there was a direct connection between September the 11th and Saddam Hussein." (3/21/06)

Versus:

"The use of armed forces against Iraq is consistent with the United States and other countries continuing to take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations or person who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001." [President George W. Bush, Letter to Congress, 3/21/03]
Dardedar
Site Admin

Chris Matthews quote

Post by Dardedar »

Usually a major Bush brown noser, looks like Matthews is waking up.

From today's Imus in the Morning show:

Matthews: "Well I am just going to stick to this point that the president led us in there with the background music of American culture. Everybody was led to believe that we were getting payback, we were avenging what happened on 9/11 and that we are going to get them. Vice President Cheney said we are going to attack terrorism at its base. Over and over the language was, this is where it came from, in fact most recently the President suggested that it was always the hot pursuit, like a new York police chase, we chased them back into their country. We pursued the terrorists back to Iraq and it's all nonsense. The reason there are terrorists in Iraq today like Zarqawi is we created the opening by blowing the country apart.

From the beginning it's been not true. Now you can't prove motive and you can't prove somebody lies, but from the beginning everything about how they've got WMD's, they are a threat to us, they are going to bomb us with a nuclear weapon, this country is going to be an easy liberate, it's going to be a cake walk. As Cheney said as recently as ten months ago the insurgents are in their last throws. Everything that is said is not true. And right to the end here, here we are now and it's not a civil war and when Allawi the prime Minster is saying it is a civil war and here is the president quoting his own people that it's not a civil war. I mean the denial has been continuous. So you really can't count on the administration to tell you what is going on. That is just the fact. You've got to check it out.

By the way, the president said this week that he wants the whole truth about what is going on in Iraq, the whole truth and that the media isn't telling the whole story. I'll tell you what we are not telling. We are not showing pictures of the twenty five hundred bodies coming back because they won't let us show the pictures. They don't want the whole truth out and that's the fact."

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Another article ripping Bush that is about as pessimistic and concerned about the future as I am:

'Worse than a Fool'
By James Wolcott
Wolcott.com/Vanity Fair

Thursday 23 March 2006

Among the many peculiarities of this president is his utter refusal to listen to those within his own orbit in the oil realm. It's understandable, if unacceptable, that Bush would ignore the warnings of environmentalists regarding Peak Oil and global warming, but why would he tune out the words of his gummy ally Tony Blair, Matthew Simmons, the expert oil analyst and author of Twilight in the Desert who has briefed Bush personally, and Richard Rainwater?

"Richard Rainwater doesn't want to sound like a kook," began a profile of the super investor in Fortune magazine (the italics below are mine). "But he's about as worried as a happily married guy with more than $2 billion and a home in Pebble Beach can get. Americans are in the kind of trouble people shouldn't find themselves in," he says. He's just wary about being the one to sound the alarm.

Rainwater is something of a behind-the-scenes type - at least as far as alpha-male billionaires go. He counts President Bush as a personal friend but dislikes politics, and frankly, when he gets worked up, he says some pretty far-out things that could easily be taken out of context. Such as: An economic tsunami is about to hit the global economy as the world runs out of oil. Or a coalition of communist and Islamic states may decide to stop selling their precious crude to Americans any day now. Or food shortages may soon hit the US Or he read on a blog last night that there's this one gargantuan chunk of ice sitting on a precipice in Antarctica that, if it falls off, will raise sea levels worldwide by two feet - and it's getting closer to the edge.... And then he'll interrupt himself: 'Look, I'm not predicting anything,' he'll say. 'That's when you get a little kooky-sounding.'

Rainwater is no crackpot. But you don't get to be a multibillionaire investor - one who's more than doubled his net worth in a decade - through incremental gains on little stock trades. You have to push way past conventional thinking, test the boundaries of chaos, see events in a bigger context. You have to look at all the scenarios, from "A to friggin' Z," as he says, and not be afraid to focus on Z. Only when you've vacuumed up as much information as possible and you know the world is at a major inflection point do you put a hell of a lot of money behind your conviction.

Such insights have allowed Rainwater to turn moments of cataclysm into gigantic paydays before. In the mid-1990s he saw panic selling in Houston real estate and bought some 15 million square feet; now the properties are selling for three times his purchase price. In the late '90s, when oil seemed plentiful and its price had fallen to the low teens, he bet hundreds of millions - by investing in oil stocks and futures - that it would rise. A billion dollars later, that move is still paying off. "Most people invest and then sit around worrying what the next blowup will be," he says. "I do the opposite. I wait for the blowup, then invest."

"The next blowup, however, looms so large that it scares and confuses him. For the past few months he's been holed up in hard-core research mode - reading books, academic studies, and, yes, blogs. Every morning he rises before dawn at one of his houses in Texas or South Carolina or California (he actually owns a piece of Pebble Beach Resorts) and spends four or five hours reading sites like LifeAftertheOilCrash.net or DieOff.org, obsessively following links and sifting through data. How worried is he? He has some $500 million of his $2.5 billion fortune in cash, more than ever before. "I'm long oil and I'm liquid," he says. "I've put myself in a position that if the end of the world came tomorrow I'd kind of be prepared." He's also ready to move fast if he spots an opening.

His instincts tell him that another enormous moneymaking opportunity is about to present itself, what he calls a "slow pitch down the middle." But, at 61, wealthier and happier than ever before, Rainwater finds himself reacting differently this time. He's focused more on staying rich than on getting richer. But there's something else too: a sort of billionaire-style civic duty he feels to get a conversation started. Why couldn't energy prices skyrocket, with grave repercussions, not just economic but political? As industry analysts debate whether the world's oil production is destined to decline, the prospect makes him itchy.

"This is a nonrecurring event," he says. The 100-year flood in Houston real estate was one, the ability to buy oil and gas really cheap was another, and now there's the opportunity to do something based on a shortage of natural resources. Can you make money? Well, yeah. One way is to just stay long domestic oil. But there may be something more important than making money. This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind. I don't want the world to wake up one day and say, "How come some doofus billionaire in Texas made all this money by being aware of this, and why didn't someone tell us?"

The only explanation, apart from Bush's cognitive disability in facing reality, is that he sociopathically doesn't care about the coming calamity endangering the planet because he and his cronies will be financially prepared even as most Americans lose their standard of living.

There are so many reasons that Bush's name should be dragged through the dust of his post-presidency for the harm and disgrace his administration has inflicted, and so impeachable offenses for which he would prosecuted today if we had a Congress worthy of the Founders. His malign indifference to Peak Oil and global warming may be the greatest of his crimes, because it will lead to the misery and deaths of untold millions of people, animals, and natural resources.

The Rest Here

Barbara Fitzpatrick

So maybe Rainwater should start investing in renewables. We have enough oil left we can phase in renewables and not lower the standard of living - but we're passed Peak & everyday we delay phasing in renewables the more likely we are to hit the disaster scenarios.
Barbara Fitzpatrick