Voltairine de Cleyre

If it belongs nowhere else, it belongs here!
Hogeye
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Voltairine de Cleyre

Post by Hogeye »

What is the history of free thought? Is it not so, that since we have Anarchy there, since all the children of the brain are legitimate, that there has been less waste of intellectual energy, more cooperation in the scientific world, truer economy in utilizing the mentalities of men, than there ever was, or ever could be, under authoritative dominion of the church? Is it not true that with the liberty of thought, Truth has been able to prove herself without the aid of force? Does not error die from want of vitality when there is no force to keep it alive? Is it not true that natural attractions have led men into associative groups, who can best follow their chosen paths of thought, and give the benefit of their studies to mankind with better economy than if some coercive power had said, "You think in this line - you in that"; or what the majority had by ballot decided it was best to think about? - Voltairine de Cleyre, The Economic Tendency of Freethought (1890)
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll