Church mailers

Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Church mailers

Post by Savonarola »

I received a mailer from a large-ish local church today. It says in giant, red letters,
SO, YOU THINK YOU KNOW JESUS?
And is followed by,
There are lots of stereotypes out there and misconceptions about Jesus and who He really is. Come join us at [church identity] as we explore who Jesus, Himself, claims to be. It is interesting, every revelation that Jesus makes about His identity has a direct correlation to your deepest human needs. So, if you do not have a church home, join us on this adventure of discovery over the next six weeks. I believe you will encounter the Savior for which your heart longs.
The message is from the "lead pastor," which I'll presume means he's in charge and not that he's a dense, dull, poisonous fellow. (I've met him because he happens to be the father of one of my students, and -- to be fair -- he's certainly a nice guy.) Although I probably wouldn't do it anyway, I'm much more reluctant to send a response due to "coincidences" like this, or perhaps because several of the higher-ups in my job also attend this church, or both. But it sure would be fun to pick apart this thing.
There are lots of stereotypes out there
And in your church, I'm sure.
... of stereotypes out there and misconceptions about Jesus ...
So the stereotypes are out there, but the misconceptions are not? Or are the misconceptions about Jesus and the stereotypes not?
There are lots of stereotypes out there and misconceptions about Jesus and who He really is.
But you have it right, of course. The other 30,000 sects of Christianity have it all wrong.
Come join us at [church identity]
No.
as we explore who Jesus, Himself, claims to be.
You've had 2000 years to figure it out, but you're still exploring? and using the same methods and materials that have been around for hundreds or thousands of years? You must really suck at this; why would I want to join you?
It is interesting,
It is?
every revelation that Jesus makes about His identity
is contradicted elsewhere in the Bible.
has a direct correlation to your deepest human needs.
So if I need to get laid, Jesus' identity has a direct correlation to that? Or do I just need a sword and not peace?
So, if you do not have a church home,
Hey, that's me! I don't have a church home; I live in an apartment. But I'd make much better home of a church than you guys do a house of "education."
join us on this adventure of discovery over the next six weeks.
Wait, wait, wait. Again, you've had 2000 years, but you think that you can knock the rest of it out in just six weeks? And as you meet just once a week, you really mean six days? You want to complete such an amazing accomplishment in a mere six days? Who do you think you are... God?
I believe
a lot of things that are silly and untrue.
you will encounter the Savior for which your heart longs.
So it's not really about what the Savior is really like, it's what I long for in a Savior? Then why should I show up? Why sit there for six weeks just to be told what I already know I want? What a waste of time.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Church mailers

Post by Doug »

Savonarola wrote:
So if I need to get laid, Jesus' identity has a direct correlation to that? Or do I just need a sword and not peace?
If Jesus has a direct correlation to your deepest human needs, sounds like you bring the sword and he'll provide the piece.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

One of our deep needs is for close bonding in human kinship, usually family relationships. Other species share a similar need.
Yet with Jesus we find that is no longer the case:

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." 1 Luke 14:26

So has Jesus turned the entire "family values" thing upside down?

"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

L.Wood wrote:.So has Jesus turned the entire "family values" thing upside down?

"Perhaps you could tell us a model family in the Bible that I can take as a guide?
One husband, just one wife, a few children, born by natural means, no murder,
no incest, no polygamy." --Steven Carr
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:"Perhaps you could tell us a model family in the Bible that I can take as a guide?
One husband, just one wife, a few children, born by natural means, no murder,
no incest, no polygamy." --Steven Carr
DOUG
Tough puzzle. The only one I can think of is John the Baptist's family.

But I guess he was murdered. But not by his parents. Does that mean he didn't have a model family?
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."