global warming

purnima

global warming

Post by purnima »

What are some good arguments for global warming being fake? For my speech class, I'm doing a persuasive speech and my topic is persuading people that global warming is fake. Whether it's real or not, what are some arguments for saying that global warming isn't real?
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: global warming

Post by Dardedar »

Nothing to see here folks, this is just a spam bot pretending to ask a question. I know this because I put:

"for global warming being fake"

into google and found the exact quote posted all over the place.

But to answer the question. There are no good arguments for global warming being fake. However, there are a lot of fake arguments for global warming being fake.

See 114 of them here.

This probably belongs in the science section, or could be deleted. Sav's call.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:This probably belongs in the science section, or could be deleted. Sav's call.
Well done, Darrel. I'll toss it into Science and leave it as an example of how to address such a silly question.
Jellen00

Post by Jellen00 »

I am terribly interested in where a person who thinks only for him/herself aquires Data on global warming without consulting someone or something else.

Global warming could very well have been considered a legitimate concern by reputable scientists before CNN got involved. I can hardly blame someone for doubting the evidence of global warming as it has been chopped up and slanted in so many ways to provide a great deal of confusion for the masses.

Believe what you will, as always, but I warn you to be prepared to back up claims such as "Volcanoes and the ocean are by FAR larger sources of CO2 and other "greenhouse" gases. Many, many, many multiples of the amounts we exhaust." lest you become guilty of that which you speak again.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Jellen00 wrote:I am terribly interested in where a person who thinks only for him/herself aquires Data on global warming without consulting someone or something else.

Global warming could very well have been considered a legitimate concern by reputable scientists before CNN got involved. I can hardly blame someone for doubting the evidence of global warming as it has been chopped up and slanted in so many ways to provide a great deal of confusion for the masses.

Believe what you will, as always, but I warn you to be prepared to back up claims such as "Volcanoes and the ocean are by FAR larger sources of CO2 and other "greenhouse" gases. Many, many, many multiples of the amounts we exhaust." lest you become guilty of that which you speak again.
DOUG
Even the spambots are getting dumber!
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Doug wrote: DOUG
Even the spambots are getting dumber!
DAR
But wow, they know where to put their shite. Or did Sav shovel it here?
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:But wow, they know where to put their shite. Or did Sav shovel it here?
I didn't move it. However, I could find only one other instance of this comment anywhere online.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Savonarola wrote:I could find only one other instance of this comment anywhere online.
DAR
That's true (I didn't even bother to check). It's a comment in a thread attributed to:

"Scott Mandrake 23 months ago"

It probably was a legitimate comment there. Perhaps a bot picked it up and put it here. Over there it was in response to a truly stupendously idiotic denier article written by a rightwing know nothing clown calling himself "KutWrite." His 14 lines of evidence begins:
Just Use Logic
Do you believe in Man-Made Global warming? Well, you shouldn't! Why?

You don't need a huge think-tank to see through the propaganda. Here's how to figure out the truth for yourself:

1. Have you looked at your own outside thermometer? Record lows and snow storms abound.

2. Seventh grade physics shows that CO2's molecular weight makes it very heavy. It can't rise high enough to cause the greenhouse effect.
Etc.

And this stupid article has hundreds of comments over two years and is still going.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Well I started on his list and couldn't stop.

Each one of these 15 lines of supposed evidence are ludicrously false. Anyone who uses them as evidence in an argument against global warming is going to get creamed.

Each and every one is debunked here:

http://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

See also here:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-nonsense

Let me give them a quick roast:

1. Have you looked outside.">>

This confuses weather with climate.

2. "Co2 can't rise high enough to cause the greenhouse effect.">>

That CO2 causes the greenhouse effect was discovered in 1824 and confirmed countless times since then.

3. error rate in temperature samples used is greater than claimed rise.">>

Someone clearly doesn't understand how averaging works.

4. Glaciers in Greenland have recently been shown to be getting thcker,>>

Warmer = more moisture = more snow. Greenland ice is melting and shrinking at the rate of 267 cubic kilometers per year (2007).

"Same with antarctic ice,">>

Antarctic land ice losses range from losing 100-300 cubic kilometers per year.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarct ... ng-ice.htm

5. Stories of polar bears declining are lies,"

Wrong. "of the 19 recognised subpopulations of polar bears, 8 are in decline, 1 is increasing, 3 are stable and 7 don’t have enough data to draw any conclusions."

http://www.skepticalscience.com/polar-b ... arming.htm

6. CO2 is plant food!">>

CO2 represents about .04% of our atmosphere and this very tiny constituency provides for about 60 degrees of the earth's warming. We've increased it 38% in 150 years.

7. "Clearing of forests happens only where governments own the forest.">>

It doesn't really matter who is burning the rainforests to make a quick buck.

8. "Sunspot activity is in a cycle... is actually causing a cooling cycle.">>

Wrong. "In the last 35 years of global warming, the sun has shown a slight cooling trend. Sun and climate have been going in opposite directions."

http://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-a ... arming.htm

9. "What about recent record cold temperatures and snow storms?">>

"The past year, 2009, tied as the second warmest year since global instrumental temperature records began 130 years ago... January 2000 to December 2009 came out as the warmest decade on record."

http://climate.nasa.gov/warmingworld/

2010 is on track to be the hottest. The warmest decade before that was the 90's. The warmest decade before that was the 80's.

10. "Why is it that the big scares always mean big profits for companies connected to governments.">>

Right. Private oil companies don't stand to lose anything if carbon use is restricted.

11. "Al Gore making his millions - driving his SUVs, owning several energy inefficient HOMES, plura.
He tells us to stop using gas, while he is private-jetting around">>

Let's list the lies:

a) Al Gore donated all of the money from the movie and book.
b) He drives hybrids.
c) His homes have won environmental awards, have solar panels, geothermal etc.
d) He has never said people should "stop using gas"
e) he flies commercial and has never owned a private jet

12. "same companies made big money off the "ozone layer" scam.">>

The ozone hole was not a scam and our change in use of refrigerants is a testament to the success of the science and our ability to change how we damage the earth's atmosphere.

13. "Seven years ago government-connected scientists and insiders were trying to scare us with the coming ice age.">>

You meant to say in "70's" but you are too dense to even get your false global warming talking points straight. In the 1970's the scientists predicting a warming earth out numbered the ones predicting cooling 6 to 1.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age ... -1970s.htm

14. Volcanoes and the ocean are by FAR larger sources of CO2 and other "greenhouse" gases.>>

This was a lie popularized by Rush Limbaugh. "The sum total of all volcanoes emit CO2 at a rate about 1/150th that of anthropogenic emissions." Translation: Humans emit 150 times as much CO2 as all of the worlds volcanoes combined.

http://illconsidered.blogspot.com/2006/ ... e-co2.html

15. NASA was actually caught faking "warming" data."

The scientist were cleared of all charges by 5 separate committees.

http://factcheck.org/2009/12/climategate/

I have been debunking global warming denier claims for several years and I must say your compilation with it's 15 arguments is one of the most idiotic pile of falsehoods I have ever seen put together. You truly are an idiot.

Cross posted here:

Darrel
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:7. "Clearing of forests happens only where governments own the forest.">>

It doesn't really matter who is burning the rainforests to make a quick buck.
DOUG
True, it doesn't matter who is doing the deforestation, but there are plenty of examples of private land being cleared away, both abroad and in the U.S.

In the U.S. the recent trend is chip mills, that spur the greatest deforestation.

And:

"Most of the logging to supply chip mills comes from private lands which comprise 90% of the forest land in the South."

See here.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."