Republicans officially endorse creationism

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Republicans officially endorse creationism

Post by Savonarola »

The brainless fundy I've been roasting on another forum who's been claiming that liberals are evil for promoting the teaching of evolution can now eat his heart out.

From the South Dakota Republican Party platform:
Resolution 16:
WHEREAS, education on species origin is a vital aspect in the understanding of nature and the purpose of human life; and,

WHEREAS, evolution is a theory that is taught in public schools as fact and at the exclusion of all other theories; and

WHEREAS, the South Dakota Republican Party believes there are other plausible theories, including creationism;

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, the South Dakota Republican Party supports efforts to expand beyond evolution the knowledge, scope, and debate in public education on the theories of species origin.
But it's the liberals who are evil because they treat science as science instead of a popularity contest? Make your case in the scientific community, then you get to be heard in schools. If you really think that creationism is scientifically plausible, you should have no problem showing it. Why do you insist on making it a public debate instead of a scientific one? Are you afraid that science will prove you wrong on this issue, as it has done for 150 years?

Only after I saw this was it pointed out that Bush II's Texas friends beat them to the punch by six years:
The Party believes that scientific topics, such as the question of universe and life origins and environmental theories, should not be constrained to one opinion or viewpoint. We support the teaching equally of scientific strengths and weaknesses of all scientific theories--as Texas now requires (but has yet to enforce) in public school science course standards. We urge revising all environmental education standards to require this also. We support individual teachers’ right to teach creation science in Texas public schools.
I guess Texas Republicans support the teaching of geocentrism, flat Earthism, luminiferous aether, phlogisten, the plum pudding model, and all the other scientific theories, you know, ever.

This kind of idiocy is inexcusable, but the Republican party promotes it.
<Physt> If 2 billion people believed in FSM.. we would use ID as the joke.. "YEAH, an invisible man just created everything".."Har har"
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

If you have money and power you can hire someone to deal with the details - like thinking up the really dumb stuff to attract the unthinking. but loyal. Many of those without money and power were never taught to think in the first place, which, of course, makes them prime targets for the money and power people.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

Watch out, Barbara - you're sounding like an anarchist! All you need to do now is draw the obvious conclusion that such concentrations of political power are undesirable and should be abolished.
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

I'd be happy to see such concentrations abolished, but the only powers strong enough to abolish concentrations of wealth and power are governments.
Barbara Fitzpatrick