Does Soy Cause Brain Atrophy in Men?

Hogeye
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Does Soy Cause Brain Atrophy in Men?

Post by Hogeye »

Occasionally I read articles about weird, or more accurately surprising, science. What do you think of this?
New Findings May Support Soy-Dementia in Men
The Trouble With Tofu: Soy and the Brain
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Very interesting.
Doug

Re: Does Soy Cause Brain Atrophy in Men?

Post by Doug »

Hogeye wrote:Occasionally I read articles about weird, or more accurately surprising, science. What do you think of this?
New Findings May Support Soy-Dementia in Men
The Trouble With Tofu: Soy and the Brain
DOUG
I don't buy it. For one really good reason:
[from prevention.com]

"In eastern Asia, where soy foods are staples, rates of dementia in old age are lower than they are in Europe, where soy foods are uncommon."

So much more study needs to be done to establish any cause and effect relationship.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

"In eastern Asia, where soy foods are staples, rates of dementia in old age are lower than they are in Europe, where soy foods are uncommon."
I don't believe that soy foods are uncommon in Europe. I think Europe is much like the US, where approximately 80% of prepared foods have soy additives. (When you read "protein additive" on a label, that's usually soy.)

Furthermore, the processing of soy probably makes a huge difference - fermented/processed soy eaten in Asia is very different from non or improperly processed soy additives in American foods.

Also, the question arises: How do male vs female rates of dementia compare in East Asia?

I agree that there may be something else going on. E.g. Maybe milk-drinking (which westerners do more than east asians) combined with tofu-eating causes brain atrophe. Maybe east asians are eating something (e.g. a lot of fish) which counteracts the soy.

Obviously, a lot more study is needed to reach any solid conclusions. Meanwhile, I'll try to avoid soy products.
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll