8-year-old Girl Knows More Than O'Reilly

Freethinker jokes, anecdotes, etc.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

8-year-old Girl Knows More Than O'Reilly

Post by Doug »

A YouTube video of a little girl roasting O'Reilly. Well done.

See here.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

It is really good; I just wish she hadn't used curse words to get her point across. It undermines the message.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Not so much a roast of O'R as atheist propaganda. I call it propaganda, even though much of it was true, because the kid was taught/coached/rehearsed in that bit. The language wasn't "childlike" (and I don't mean the curse words - those, unfortunately, are quite prevalent in modern 8-year-old conversation) and it went on too long for what a child would have said. True it's no different from the christian propaganda kids are tutored in, but I had hoped better from the atheists.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I agree, Barbara. I felt uncomfortable about the video and you were able to articulate exactly why.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote: Not so much a roast of O'R as atheist propaganda. I call it propaganda, even though much of it was true, because the kid was taught/coached/rehearsed in that bit. The language wasn't "childlike" (and I don't mean the curse words - those, unfortunately, are quite prevalent in modern 8-year-old conversation) and it went on too long for what a child would have said.
DOUG
The whole thing was words put in the little girl's mouth. The point was not to suggest that this is some child prodigy. That is why it is under "Humor" and not "Science."
Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:True it's no different from the christian propaganda kids are tutored in, but I had hoped better from the atheists.
DOUG
I don't know who "the atheists" are. This was not some concerted effort from some national atheist organization.

I thought it was a great roast.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Doug - that's my point. I hate seeing children used that way, no matter which point of view is doing the using. The points were "a great roast" - the use of a child as the vehicle of delivery put me off. I know this wasn't a "concerted effort from some national atheist organization" (IS there a national atheist organization?), but whoever did it either was a misguided atheist or else a "true believer" using the "robocall" method to put people off atheists.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

I thought it was cute but went on a little long.