How to argue like a Jackass

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

How to argue like a Jackass

Post by Dardedar »

Post by Guest »

hey, that reminds me of the neocon debate techniques on nwapolitics.com!!!!!!
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

The mod part of me wants to move this to the Humor forum.
However, considering my experience with "debating" creationists, and especially because just last night I took issue with a fellow who had already epitomized the comic's assertions in an earlier debate with me, I think I'll leave it right here.
<Physt> If 2 billion people believed in FSM.. we would use ID as the joke.. "YEAH, an invisible man just created everything".."Har har"
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Jesus, I didn't even notice we had a humor forum. I am just off my game when there aren't fundies around to roast.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:Jesus, I didn't even notice we had a humor forum. I am just off my game when there aren't fundies around to roast.
It's brand new. And it's hidden near the bottom.. Perhaps I should change that...
<Physt> If 2 billion people believed in FSM.. we would use ID as the joke.. "YEAH, an invisible man just created everything".."Har har"
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:Jesus, I didn't even notice we had a humor forum. I am just off my game when there aren't fundies around to roast.
DOUG
Humor? This was an instructional, factually correct piece that just happened to have pictures.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

I think the fundie in the cartoon looks a bit like Kent Hovind.
Doug

Notice the Resemblance

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:I think the fundie in the cartoon looks a bit like Kent Hovind.
DOUG
No, he just acts like him.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Unfortunately, we've all dealt with people who argue like jackasses. since reaching them is not an option, what do we do about them? Especially when they have enough power to remove science from science classes, and global warming from our governmental reports?
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Excellent question, Barbara. If anybody knew the answer to that, the world would be a much better place.

I have heard a couple of stories about people actually "seeing the light", both had to do with someone saying something that actually got through to them, which made them think for a while and they eventually realized that, hey, maybe they were WRONG about that. As soon as that happens, it's like the dam broke and they change completely rather quickly. You never know what little comment is the one that will get through to them, it's sometimes so random, or something they've already heard 50 times and for some reason one day it makes sense to them. That's why I hung in there for months on NWAP, and why I'm glad you do, in a way, although I finally really gave up hope on those losers. They are so far outside just even being reasonable that it's just an exercise in frustration.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Hey, DQ commented I was probably right about a post on Paul Hackett dropping out of the Ohio Senate race & sometimes we agree on educational matters. There's hope yet.

Seriously, I guess just keep bringing in the facts. We'll never reach people like LVAsh - who may have been posting as sanantonio sam and rocky roads over the weekend - the screeds sounded like him - but Maddox and McClave and DQ have all had sane moments (even Miss Anne the NRA worshipper sometimes sounds sane, although she'll never admit the "Remember New Orleans" gun both need & removal is NRA BS). And those 4 are all honorable about not messing with other people's posts. I work under the assumption that honorable behavior in one area will eventually lead to honorable behavior in others - and that's when the light goes on.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

yeah, I think LV was ghost-posting w/those other names, too. The two new names have the same (probably bogus) email address listed.

Hang in there -