Romney Watch: New Frontiers of Falsehood

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Romney Watch: New Frontiers of Falsehood

Post by Dardedar »

"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"On NBC’s “Meet The Press,” Romney dodged multiple questions about which deductions or credits he’d target, saying only that he’ll get rid of “some of the loopholes and deductions at the high end” while seeking to “lower the burden on middle income people.”

Pressed for one specific example, Romney replied, “Well, the specifics are these which is those principles I described are the heart of my policy.”

LINK
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Romney delves into science:

"I do believe in basic science. I believe in participating in space. I believe in analysis of new sources of energy. I believe in laboratories, looking at ways to conduct electricity with -- with cold fusion, if we can come up with it. It was the University of Utah that solved that. We somehow can’t figure out how to duplicate it."
http://washingtonexaminer.com/transcrip ... GEMGI2PV-Q

Romney on airplanes with windows that won't open:

"When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem." — Mitt Romney, LINK

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"It looks awful when a man with millions in the Caymans
tells half the country "I don't have to worry about you.' "
-- David Gergen, CNN
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

A wingnut posting on intrade (KevinCT), was caught in a pinch so he resorted to claiming that if people click on my links (often to this forum) this action would "install tracking software" on their computer. Another person (infernoman) debunked this and then archived the exchange this in a screen capture:

Posted here for posterity and humor value. Wingnuts say silly things when corned.

Compiled by "infernoman," more tracks from....... "KevinCT's Greatest Hits: The ConservaTard Remixes"...

The KevinConservaTard Report Card:

http://imgur.com/Gf4pP : KevinCT says bad Obama news coming out before first debate, says sell obama @ 66 in next 2 weeks
http://imgur.com/B2Wtq : KevinCT doesn't get the difference between Venture Capital and late-stage Private Equity
http://imgur.com/MJLSh : KevinCT thinks that people "practice" VC, gets terminology all wrong while bluffing expertise
http://imgur.com/Pdzx3 : KevinCT libels Dardedar's site, doesn't know how web viruses work
http://imgur.com/Lb3kY : KevinCT mistakes voter fraud for voter registration fraud. duh.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Romney Tells 27 Myths in 38 Minutes

Nation of Change

Excerpt:

"Pundits from both sides of the aisle have lauded Mitt Romney’s strong debate performance, praising his preparedness and ability to challenge President Obama’s policies and accomplishments. But Romney only accomplished this goal by repeatedly misleading viewers. He spoke for 38 minutes of the 90 minute debate and told at least 27 myths:

1) “[G]et us energy independent, North American energy independent. That creates about 4 million jobs”. Romney’s plan for “energy independence” actually relies heavily on a study that assumes the U.S. continues with fuel efficiency standards set by the Obama administration. For instance, he uses Citigroup research based off the assumption that “‘the United States will continue with strict fuel economy standards that will lower its oil demand.” Since he promises to undo the Obama administration’s new fuel efficiency standards, he would cut oil consumption savings of 2 million barrels per day by 2025.

2) “I don’t have a $5 trillion tax cut. I don’t have a tax cut of a scale that you’re talking about.” A Tax Policy Center analysis of Romney’s proposal for a 20 percent across-the-board tax cut in all federal income tax rates, eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax, eliminating the estate tax and other tax reductions, would reduce federal revenue $480 billion in 2015. This amount to $5 trillion over the decade.

3) “My view is that we ought to provide tax relief to people in the middle class. But I’m not going to reduce the share of taxes paid by high-income people.” If Romney hopes to provide tax relief to the middle class, then his $5 trillion tax cut would add to the deficit. There are not enough deductions in the tax code that primarily benefit rich people to make his math work.

4) “My — my number-one principal is, there will be no tax cut that adds to the deficit. I want to underline that: no tax cut that adds to the deficit.” As the Tax Policy Center concluded, Romney’s plan can’t both exempt middle class families from tax cuts and remain revenue neutral. “He’s promised all these things and he can’t do them all. In order for him to cover the cost of his tax cut without adding to the deficit, he’d have to find a way to raise taxes on middle income people or people making less than $200,000 a year,” the Center found.

5) “I will not under any circumstances raise taxes on middle-income families. I will lower taxes on middle-income families. Now, you cite a study. There are six other studies that looked at the study you describe and say it’s completely wrong.” The studies Romney cites actuallyfurther prove that Romney would, in fact, have to raise taxes on the middle class if he were to keep his promise not to lose revenue with his tax rate reduction.

The rest...

And ten more here:

10 Pieces Of Proof That Mitt Romney Thinks You're Stupid

LINK

“This is the Romney i've been waiting for - the windsock of a man who now
is suddenly for the low income folks and no tax cuts for rich."
-- Bill Maher, watching the debates
MootsaGootsa

Post by MootsaGootsa »

There's only one person to vote for this election and that person is Gary Johnson. Obama is not doing our country any good. He is using drones to kill innocent woman and children. He went against his word and is attacking and closing medical marijuana facilities. He has no clue how business works. If you don't like Romney then vote for Gary Johnson, he is the best route to world peace. It's time to make a stand.

Add a dot com to my name and get rewarded by thinking of someone famous that passed away that no other player registered.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Nice rant. Saw it on Huff Po:

"MEMO"

TO: Baggers (and baguettes):

We voters who still retain some semblance of lucidity regret to inform you that Mitt Romney will NEVER become President.

We might disagree with President Obama on a variety of issues but if any of you think that we would even CONSIDER voting for:

(a) A party vying to roll back child labor laws.

(b) A party attempting to defund Social Security & Medicare.

(c) A party attempting to defund the arts & education.

(d) A party filled with misȏgynȋsts trying to redefine "rape" or disallow a womans sovereignty over her own body.

(e) A party of SEDITIONISTS replacing locally elected officials with "emergency managers".

(f) A party hellbent to further destroy the working class & create a substrata of indentured servants.

(g) A party comprised of hȏmȏphȏbȇs & ẋȇnȏphȏbȇs who still insist that there are such things as "second-class" human beings.

-or-

(h) A party of thugs trying to keep people of color from the voting booths.

If you truly think that we'd EVER lend our support to the SOCIOPATHS whom you represent, empower & enable, then you are more DELUSIONAL than your combined rotting worldviews.

So snark all you want... bleat your vapid platitudes with all the vigor you can muster after your bi-weekly showers.

Sure, we'll bitch & moan that we didn't get everything we wanted the moment we wanted it or didn't attain some ideologically pure objectives despite tremendous progress in the right direction, but in the end, we will reelect”

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

It's just an endless stream of lies with this guy:

Romney Told 31 Myths In 41 Minutes During Last Night's Debate
Mendacious Mitt strikes again.

LINK

Cherry picking my favorite examples (and adding some supplementary evidence):

2) “I put out a five-point plan that gets America 12 million new jobs in four years and rising take-home pay.”

[Reality] The Washington Post’s in-house fact checker tore Romney’s claim that he will create 12 million jobs to shreds. The Post wrote that the “‘new math’” in Romney’s plan “doesn’t add up.” In awarding the claim four Pinocchios — the most untrue possible rating, the Post expressed incredulity at the fact Romney would personally stand behind such a flawed, baseless claim.

3) “And the president’s right in terms of the additional oil production, but none of it came on federal land. As a matter of fact, oil production is down 14 percent this year on federal land, and gas production was down 9 percent.”

[Reality] 14 percent is a one-year number. “Overall, oil production on federal land under Obama is up from 566 million barrels in 2008 to 626 million barrels in 2011, a 10.6 percent increase.” Compared to the last three years of President Bush, there have been 241 million more barrels of oil produced from public lands in the first three years of Obama." [...]

6) “And coal, coal production is not up; coal jobs are not up.”

[Reality] 1,500 coal jobs have been created under Obama." LINK

And:
U.S. Coal Production Up for Second Year
Posted by Cooperative Finance Corporation - March 2nd, 2012
FEBRUARY 27, 2012

U.S. coal production increased slightly during 2011 for the second year in a row, rising to 1.09 billion short tons. That was an increase of about 0.4 percent from the 2010 level, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) data.
“Exports drove gains in production as U.S. coal shipments to other countries climbed to their highest level in two decades, while domestic coal consumption for electricity generation fell,” EIA said. The electric power sector consumed 852 million short tons of U.S. coal in 2011, down from 971 million in 2010." LINK
14) “I went to a number of women’s groups and said, ‘Can you help us find folks,’ and they brought us whole binders full of women. I was proud of the fact that after I staffed my Cabinet and my senior staff, that the University of New York in Albany did a survey of all 50 states, and concluded that mine had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state in America.”

[Reality] Romney did not ask women groups for candidates. LINK
Instead, prior to his election, a “bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government.” They “put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions” and presented it to Romney after he was elected. A UMass-Boston study found that “the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006.”

17) “So when you say that I wanted to take the auto industry bankrupt, you actually did. And — and I think it’s important to know that that was a process that was necessary to get those companies back on their feet, so they could start hiring more people. That was precisely what I recommend and ultimately what happened.”

[Reality] This is false. [/url=http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-1 ... lity-check]Link[/url]
As Businessweek explains: Romney “opposed any use of taxpayer dollars to bail out the automakers, advice that President George W. Bush and Obama ignored. GM and Chrysler went through managed bankruptcies after Bush, at the end of his presidency, and later Obama provided federal funds.” “Without federal funds, GM and Chyrsler would not have survived. As former Bush aide Tony Fratto explained, “It wasn’t just that there wasn’t credit available; a lot of private equity had cash, they just weren't giving it away.”

Better roast here: Delusions About the Detroit Bailout... http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/opini ... ilout.html

19) “He keeps saying, ‘Look, I’ve created 5 million jobs.’ That’s after losing 5 million jobs. The entire record is such that the unemployment has not been reduced in this country.”

[Reality] Job creation is net positive since Obama took office in the middle of the worst recession since the great depression. Economists estimate that up to 3 million jobs were created by the stimulus alone.

Regarding the republican fetish with the word "terror:"

23) “It was a terrorist attack and it took a long time for that to be told to the American people.”

[Reality] Obama called the Libya incident an act of “terror” the very next day . “No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for,” he said. “Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.”

29) “Canada’s tax rate on companies is now 15 percent. Ours is 35 percent. So if you’re starting a business, where would you rather start it? We have to be competitive if we’re going to create more jobs here.”

[Reality] The U.S. is raising historically low amounts of revenue from the corporate income tax, and it already has the second lowest effective corporate tax rate in the world. U.S. corporations are taxed less than their foreign rivals, and the U.S. effective corporate tax rate is low compared to other developed economies.

30) “And there’s no question but that Obamacare has been an extraordinary deterrent to enterprises of all kinds hiring people.”

[Reality] Under the law, only companies with more than 50 employees must provide health insurance or pay a fine — that’s just 2.6 percent of businesses. If anything, expanding health care coverage to more Americans will actually create hundreds of thousands of new jobs."

Alternet
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

Tagg and Mitt's Romney's Link to Eight Billion Stanford Financial Group Ponzi scheme

"The private equity firm run by Tagg Romney—Mitt’s eldest son, who is now taking a leadership role in guiding his father’s presidential campaign—misled reporters last year about its involvement with a company run by men accused of taking part in a multibillion-dollar Ponzi scheme.

Last year, I reported that Tagg had formed a business partnership with several North Carolina investors who are still facing a lawsuit for receiving bonus pay for selling CDs as part of the $8 billion Stanford Financial Group Ponzi scheme.

In a nutshell, Tagg helped these investors form a company—called Solamere Advisors, a nod to Tagg’s firm Solamere Capital—shortly after their boss, Allen Stanford, was caught by law enforcement for his elaborate Ponzi fraud.

When I interviewed him in Las Vegas, Tagg told me that his associates were “cleared” of any wrongdoing associated with the Stanford Ponzi scheme. Court documents directly contradict Tagg and show that the lawsuit has not been dismissed.

The New York Times followed up on my story with its own report and confirmed that Tagg’s business partners received incentive pay for selling bunk Stanford CDs. They wrote about one Stanford victim, a local Charlotte businessman and philanthropist named Herman Stone. Stone was pressured by Brandon Phillips, an executive working now for Tagg’s firm, into putting $2 million into a fraudulent Stanford CD and lost everything.

Solamere Capital attempted to distance itself from the story by claiming that their business was not actually connected to the Ponzi-tainted firm, Solamere Advisors. In a statement to ABC News, they claimed that their managers, not Solamere Capital itself, were involved (emphasis added):

“It is inaccurate to suggest that Solamere Capital made an investment in this firm [Solamere Advisors]. Solamere Capital was approached to invest in a new wealth management firm being launched by these three individuals. After extensive due diligence, Solamere Capital decided not to invest because the business was at an early stage and did not meet our investment criteria. However, Spencer Zwick, Tagg Romney and Eric Scheuermann each own a minority stake in the business as individual investors.”

However, Solamere Capital’s statement, provided to ABC News, is false. Disclosures from the Securities and Exchange Commission show that Tagg’s company indeed maintains ties with the Ponzi-linked firm, Solamere Advisors.

rest at http://www.thenation.com/blog/170546/ta ... inked-firm#
"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Via Supak, on Intrade:

"[W]e don't want to broadcast to our enemies 'put a date on your calendar, wait us out, and then come back.'"--Ryan
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/1 ... questions/

-

"I don't think you set hard and fast deadlines."--Willard
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/politics/ ... index.html

-

"The biggest mistake [Obama] has made in Afghanistan were, one, announcing the specific date we would withdraw."--Wilard
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/ ... understand

-

"[W]e're going to be finished by 2014. And when I'm president, we'll make sure we bring our troops out by the end of 2014."--Willard
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml