Political Quotes of the Day

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Political Quotes of the Day

Post by Dardedar »

"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.

“Both sides do it” or “There is plenty of blame to go around” are the traditional refuges for an American news media intent on proving its lack of bias, while political scientists prefer generality and neutrality when discussing partisan polarization. Many self-styled bipartisan groups, in their search for common ground, propose solutions that move both sides to the center, a strategy that is simply untenable when one side is so far out of reach."
--Mann, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, and Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"...although the economy’s performance has been disappointing, to say the least, none of the disasters Republicans predicted have come to pass. Remember all those assertions that budget deficits would lead to soaring interest rates? Well, U.S. borrowing costs have just hit a record low. And remember those dire warnings about inflation and the “debasement” of the dollar? Well, inflation remains low, and the dollar has been stronger than it was in the Bush years.

Put it this way: Republicans have been warning that we were about to turn into Greece because President Obama was doing too much to boost the economy; Keynesian economists like myself warned that we were, on the contrary, at risk of turning into Japan because he was doing too little. And Japanification it is, except with a level of misery the Japanese never had to endure." --Krugman This Republican Economy
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Krugman on austerity: "We are not a household. We are an economy. Your spending is my income, and my spending is your income."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

“The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country
more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime;
he is a good citizen driven to despair.” ― H.L. Mencken
L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

FAIR: Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting

Sunday Shows: More than GOP TV? 4/25/12
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"74 members of Congress urged him to recuse himself from any decision regarding the ACA – more than six months before it even reached the Supreme Court. Justice Thomas only revealed under longstanding legal obligation that opposing the ACA brought his household hundreds of thousands of dollars through his spouse Ginni Thomas’ lobbying – with promises of future gigs if she can defeat the piece of legislation before the bulk of it goes into effect."

http://other98.com/time-for-clarence-th ... e-himself/
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Republicans... "Remember this is the party that in the wake of September 11th—an attack by citizens of Saudi Arabia,
organized in Afghanistan by a leader hanging out in Lebanon—decided to invade (wait for it) Iraq."
Link
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Texas Republican Party Calls For...

"Early this month, Texas Republican delegates met in Fort Worth to approve their 2012 platform, notable parts of which take aim at the state's education system.

In the section titled "Educating Our Children," the document states that "corporal punishment is effective" and recommends teachers be given "more authority" to deal with disciplinary problems.

Additionally, the document states the party opposes mandatory pre-school and kindergarten, saying parents are "best suited to train their children in their early development."

The position causing the most controversy, however, is the statement that they oppose the teaching of "higher order thinking skills" -- a curriculum which strives to encourage critical thinking -- arguing that it might challenge "student's fixed beliefs" and undermine "parental authority."

The rest...
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

John Kenneth Galbraith
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"GOP congressional candidate Chris Collins knows health care is expensive these days, but he argues it's for good reason: People are no longer dying from deadly forms of cancer.

"The fact of the matter is, our healthcare today is so much better, we're living so much longer, because of innovations in drug development, surgical procedures, stents, implantable cardiac defibrillators, neural stimulators -- they didn't exist 10 years ago," he continued. "The increase in cost is not because doctors are making a lot more money. It's what you can get for healthcare, extending your life and curing diseases."

"People now don't die from prostate cancer, breast cancer and some of the other things," he told The Batavian in an interview,.... Collins was discussing his desire to repeal Obamacare.

In fact,... An estimated 577,190 people in the United States will die from cancer this year, including about 39,920 deaths from breast cancer and 28,170 from prostate cancer, according to the American Cancer Society."

Huff Po
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I've become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy."
--Judge Richard Posner, conservative on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, has long been one of the nation's most respected and admired legal thinkers on the right. Link
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

David Franks
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by David Franks »

On the other hand, the Swiss are doing pretty well.
We'll ignore the misspelling of "levees".
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."