Occam's Razor's

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Occam's Razor's

Post by Dardedar »

Congratulations to Occam's Razor's and their very successful lecture event last night with Greta Christian and JT Eberhard. I counted over 125 in attendance:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/occamsrazors/
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
juju

Re: Occam's Razor's

Post by juju »

People drove from Tulsa, Little Rock, Conway, and Branson to attend. Pretty cool!
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Nice logo:

(Russell's Teapot I presume...)
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
David Franks
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by David Franks »

Darrel wrote:Nice logo:

[image]

(Russell's Teapot I presume...)
Speaking for the visually impaired, I strongly suggest that some white highlights be added to the teapot to make it more visible. Black and red (this red, anyway) don't have enough contrast. Even if the color is actually Razorback red, highlights would improve the image.
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."
Doug

Post by Doug »

David Franks wrote:(Russell's Teapot I presume...)
Speaking for the visually impaired, I strongly suggest that some white highlights be added to the teapot to make it more visible. Black and red (this red, anyway) don't have enough contrast. Even if the color is actually Razorback red, highlights would improve the image.[/quote]

DOUG
I suggest ditching the teapot altogether. I like Russell's teapot analogy, but since few people know about it, AND the prominence of the Tea Party would readily lend itself to misinterpretation, you would probably find more people thinking that Occam's Razors is a political organization than anything else.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
David Franks

Post by David Franks »

Doug wrote:I suggest ditching the teapot altogether. I like Russell's teapot analogy, but since few people know about it, AND the prominence of the Tea Party would readily lend itself to misinterpretation, you would probably find more people thinking that Occam's Razors is a political organization than anything else.
Though I didn't want to meddle too much with a logo that has little to do with me, this is a good point. There are a couple of ways to address the matter. One would be to add a "slogan" at the bottom, on the lines of "Why a teapot?" or "Ask us about the teapot", which might help to engage others. Another way would be to redesign the graphic to somehow show the teapot as an object orbiting the sun.

I have to wonder: why not "Occam's Razorbacks"? And speaking of plays on the official state porcine mammal, who remembers the Razordykes?
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

David Franks wrote: ...on the lines of "Why a teapot?" or "Ask us about the teapot", which might help to engage others."
It definitely needs a name tag. "Russell's Teapot" would do it nicely.
I have to wonder: why not "Occam's Razorbacks"?
This was hashed out years ago. As I remember, the powers that own the licensing of the word "Razorback" are rather strict about its use. And if you want to make tee shirts, merchandise or a website using the word, it complicates things greatly (if you can do it at all). Roasting fundies has not yet been deemed a sporting event it seems (even though it should be). "Occam's Razor's" was actually my idea and I like it a little better than going whole hog with the standard connotation which is so associated with sports. Those who can't connect the dots, or be curious enough to look up "Occam" with the clue, shouldn't be smart enough to join anyway.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:As I remember, the powers that own the licensing of the word "Razorback" are rather strict about its use.
DOUG
At the beginning of each semester, you could put up a sign with "Join Us to Welcome Occam's Razors Back!"
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

LOGICON this Weekend!

More details on their Facebook page here.
David Franks

Post by David Franks »

Doug wrote:
Darrel wrote:As I remember, the powers that own the licensing of the word "Razorback" are rather strict about its use.
DOUG
At the beginning of each semester, you could put up a sign with "Join Us to Welcome Occam's Razors Back!"
Or have T-shirts printed front and back:

I Am An
Occam's
Razor
(front)

and

I Am An
Occam's
Razor
(back)