Camp Quest - a Humanist summer camp

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

I want to call your attention to Camp Quest of the Smoky Mountains (CQSM), one of 10 affiliated Camp Quests to be held this summer across North America. The Camp Quests were created for the children of atheists, agnostics, and all freethinkers and nontheists as a place where children 8 - 17 can feel free to express their beliefs with others like themselves, while engaging in many traditional camp activities. That said, no child is rejected based on their developing beliefs or the beliefs of their parents, so long as the parents recognize the Humanist principles on which the camp is conducted. Campers are encouraged to think critically and be skeptical of unsupported claims, to think in natural rather than supernatural terms.

CQSM, held at Tremont in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (near Townsend, south of Knoxville), was started nine years ago as a project of the Rationalists of East Tennessee. Last summer we had 25 campers coming from 10 states, about equal numbers of girls and boys, and below and above age 13, and counselors from 5 states. You can learn more by visiting our web site at "rationalists.org/cq/" or "smokymountains.campquest.org" or the CQ national web site at "campquest.org", where links can be found to all of the camps.

The 2011 camp begins on Sunday, July 31 and ends on Saturday, August 6. We expect to have another exciting year with adventure, friendship, leadership, and community service. I can be contacted by email at CQSmokyMts@gmail.com or CQSM@rationalists.org, or by telephone at (865) 896-9270.

Jonas Holdeman
CQSM Director

http://www.campquest.org/
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer