June 2009 Meeting

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

June 2009 Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

Freethinkers, it's time to put away the sunscreen, put away the lawn mower, hang up the wet swimsuits, put on some half-decent clothes--and get to the Fayetteville Public Library for the June meeting of the Fayetteville Freethinkers!

(OK, you can come in your swimsuit. Just make sure it isn't wet.)

On the agenda:

Jack Makens will give a presentation celebrating the life of Thomas Paine. He invites everyone to:

Come celebrate July 4 at the June 27th meeting as we commemorate Thomas Paine. It is important that the life of this courageous man be remembered, and told to our youth and young in spirit, for the optimistic inspiration it gives of what one person can do to change the world for the better. We will also listen to a dynamic presentation from Carl Shapiro entitled “Thomas Paine and the American Revolution” on CD.

Jack will have some handouts about Paine at a table in the back.

Doug Krueger will tell us how to rebut the famous Pascal's Wager argument. "If you believe in God and you die, you may win everything. If you do not believe and you die, you may lose everything. Since you have to believe or not, you may as well believe, since belief costs you nothing. So it is a better bet to believe than not believe, so you should believe in God." You've probably heard some version of this argument. What kind of response do you have?

Leonard Schulte, also a professional philosopher, will tell us why freethinkers should question the notion of free will. Most people like to think that we all have free will--but what is it, and how can we tell whether we really have it? Leonard will challenge some of our most cherished assumptions.

And we've got some good funny clips.

Also, we will now be using the library PA system so if you have been having any trouble hearing, you won't anymore.

As usual, there will be no July meeting. This is your last chance to catch a meeting until the end of August (meetings are the last Saturday of the month, except for July/Dec).

Freethinker Meeting Details:

When: Saturday, June 27, 2009

Where: The Fayetteville Public Library. 401 W. Mountain
St. (two blocks west of the town square). Library phone: 571-2222.

Time: 2:00 pm

Room: The Walker Room. This is the main meeting room. Go in the front
door, through the lobby and go to your right. You can bring a snack or coffee from Arsaga's in the library lobby.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/b3sfgf

We'll go for dinner afterward at... The Thai Diner.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/myosmp
tmiller51

Re: June 2009 Meeting

Post by tmiller51 »

I can't find the Fayetteville Freethinkers group on Facebook that was mentioned at the June meeting. What is the group name?

Tim
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

The name of the group is... "Fayetteville Freethinkers"

No wonder you couldn't find it!

Just kidding!

This link might work for you:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... eethinkers

We will be working on getting some info uploaded to this facebook group TODAY.

We have 27 friends already and other than the little mention at the meeting, we haven't told anyone.
tmiller51

Post by tmiller51 »

Thanks, that link worked. I was searching on Fayetteville Freethinkers but nothing showed up; Facebook search is wonky.

Tim
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

tmiller51 wrote:I was searching on Fayetteville Freethinkers but nothing showed up; Facebook search is wonky.
I think that this profile has been made as a "person" instead of as a group. Would Darrel or Tamara consider changing this?
Tamara

Post by Tamara »

Savonarola wrote: I think that this profile has been made as a "person" instead of as a group. Would Darrel or Tamara consider changing this?
I think it's a little too late for that since we already have a bunch of friends on the one I created. I don't see too much difference between having it as a person or as a group. I've seen groups done both ways on Facebook. I changed one of the settings to allow basic information to be viewed by everyone whereas before the default was only for our network and friends to be able to view it. Hopefully that will allow anyone searching to be able to find us.