Springfest 2009 Mythbuster Board ideas

Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Springfest 2009 Mythbuster Board ideas

Post by Savonarola »

As discussed at the March meeting, we need a topic for our Mythbuster Board. This thread is for suggestions and feedback on those suggestions.

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but of the ones I can remember, here are some ideas that were mentioned at the meeting:

Unkept promises of the Obama administration
True origins of "Biblical" (or not!) claims
Myths about atheists/atheism

Please respond with other suggestions, opinions, possible tidbits for inclusion, etc.

If it is so desired, I can make this question into a poll, but (a) I want to provide the opportunity for more topics to be presented first (b) it might be good to have discussion before any voting (c) I can't guarantee that the poll results will have any more impact than the discussion.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Springfest 2009 Mythbuster Board ideas

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Unkept promises of the Obama administration?

So Galt did come to the meeting? Maybe an anarchist dropped by?

Two months in and someone thinks they can provide 12, non-trivial (i.e. interesting, substantive) examples of unkept promises of the Obama administration? That would be a neat trick. I would be surprised if there wasn't one or two but I don't know of one.

Regardless, it's far too overtly, blatantly, political/partisan. We've never touched something like that, from the left or the right, and if we did we would cease to be a non-profit(ish), educational, non-political club promoting freethought. Instead we would be a political advocacy group. DOA.

D.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Savonarola wrote:Myths about atheists/atheism
I happened to see a substitute nutjob on O'Reilly's show tonight issue a teaser for the next segment by referencing the increase in atheism and asking if we should be worried about values.

I try to refrain from blowing up at these reprehensible schmucks, and I hate that we even have to have such a discussion, but it probably needs to be done.

This topic should probably be discussed, at least briefly, at the next meeting -- unless we get some significant feedback here. (C'mon, people.)
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Doug and I had a good idea the other day. What the hell was it? Most ridiculous myths of all time or something?
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:What the hell was it? Most ridiculous myths of all time or something?
So the board would just need one very large placard labeled "religion"?
Doug

Post by Doug »

Savonarola wrote:So the board would just need one very large placard labeled "religion"?
DOUG
And a shovel. The plaque could read "What is the biggest load of manure ever shoveled?"

You lift the plaque and read the answer given above...
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."