Website suggestions

Use this forum to report abuse by moderators or administrators.
juju
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Website suggestions

Post by juju »

I think the front page of your site has some challenges with regard to how it attempts to convey information. I hope no offense will be taken, but I like you guys, and your cause, so I offer my opinion. I think these changes would improve people's perception of your group, and would also increase membership.

There is too much unsorted information on the front page. Web users are very fickle and impatient. Even though the information is all good, it's too densely compacted. No one is going to sit there and read all that stuff. Information should be separated into clearly labeled, digestable chunks.

Also, the look of the front page is completely different from the look of the forum. That makes it look completely unprofessional and fly-by-nightish. You should have one theme that's the same on every page.

I think a good solution to both of these problems would be to get one of those phpbb mods that converts the front page of the website into a blog. You could set it up so that every post in the "Fayfreethinker News" forums automatically gets posted to the front page of the site.

This would effectively take the core content of your site and shift it to the front page, where it can be more easily seen. This will also make it easier for you to update your front page: just make a new post in that forum. Also, this will ensure the front page content is always changing. A website that looks frequently updated is more likely to draw new visitors.

A lot of the information on the bottom part of the front page should be broken up into a separate about page.

That brings up another point. A user should never have to scroll down to see your content. They just aren't going to, and your content will be missed. It should fit onto one page.

This will have to do for now, as I have to put the kids to bed. As I said, I hope no one gets offended, they're just my opinions!
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
I think these are some good suggestions. Some of it, and certainly how to do it, goes over my head. SAV and I are really busy fellows and he (with some input from me) put this whole thing together in a short time. It would be good to go back and revise and update things, even a complete makeover. If you are interested in being involved in such a project, could you send me a note at:

fayfreethinkers@yahoo.com

I think I met you at the meeting yesterday? Maybe we can have a little planning meeting about this? I don't think SAV would be against spreading out the responsibility on this.

I also need a proper website for my business. If this is what you do, or can do, I may have some work for you there if you are interested.

Darrel.

ps. Fixed email address.
Last edited by Dardedar on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Re: Website suggestions

Post by Savonarola »

juju wrote:There is too much unsorted information on the front page. Web users are very fickle and impatient. Even though the information is all good, it's too densely compacted. No one is going to sit there and read all that stuff. Information should be separated into clearly labeled, digestable chunks.
I agree that we should clean up the main page. I can add this to my list, making it #4,836 that needs to be done with the website but consumes time that I largely don't have. I could guess that I can dedicate a few evenings next month to this cause, but -- and I hate to say it -- there are other website concerns that take priority over this one (like simple updating).
juju wrote:Also, the look of the front page is completely different from the look of the forum. That makes it look completely unprofessional and fly-by-nightish. You should have one theme that's the same on every page.
I consider the bulletin board a separate entity. You'll notice that all of the webpages have the same format, but the board is an out-of-the-box program that none of us have the expertise to extensively edit. We are somewhat handcuffed by time, compatibility constraints, and cost. Having a forum setup that isn't identical to the website for a company/organization is nothing out of the ordinary.
juju wrote:I think a good solution to both of these problems would be to get one of those phpbb mods that converts the front page of the website into a blog.
We don't want a blog proper. We want a bona fide website. The forums are a great addition.
juju wrote:You could set it up so that every post in the "Fayfreethinker News" forums automatically gets posted to the front page of the site.
Or, we could add to the main page a permalink that takes the viewer to the News forum.
juju wrote:This would effectively take the core content of your site and shift it to the front page, where it can be more easily seen.
I disagree with your assessment. I feel that the core content of the site is not in the forums. The webpages are chock full of freethinker information and resources, and those in my opinion are more important to the new or occasional viewer than news that comes and goes. When people feel that they're old pros at the freethinking basics, then they can focus more on the forums.
juju wrote:A website that looks frequently updated is more likely to draw new visitors.
Am I the only one wondering how a "new" user would be aware of pre-change content?
juju wrote:As I said, I hope no one gets offended, they're just my opinions!
I'm not offended, but don't expect miracles. (*rim shot*) So far I've spent 80% of my waking vacation time working.

I think what Darrel meant was that if you'd like to volunteer to do some HTML work, email him at the address that you can find on the website. Visiting said website doesn't necessarily do that...
juju

Post by juju »

I kinda figured that was where you guys were at, time and priority-wise. I wouldn't mind helping out with the technical bits, although I suppose it would depend on the scope of what was agreed on.

As far as professional work for your business, I'd rather stray away from that. Although I have the skills, I get enough work on my day job that I don't need to be taking on second jobs. I don't mind giving you advice on it, though.

As for disagreement on the blog point: Static content isn't going to drive people to your site. Dynamic content will. I think you've got it backwards. You should use user-generated content to drive people to your site, and let the static content be there as an addition.

You're right that there's no way for someone to tell when stuff was added to the site. I see that as a problem. How are they to know if the site hasn't been updated in 10 years? With no timestamps, the assumption will be just that.

Anyways, it's just my take, and I respect your disagreement. It's just part of my new commitment to actually voice my opinions.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

juju wrote:I kinda figured that was where you guys were at, time and priority-wise. I wouldn't mind helping out with the technical bits, although I suppose it would depend on the scope of what was agreed on.
DAR
It could be real limited. And my business website could be extremely simple. One page. Maybe next time SAV comes over for a game of pool I can get him to whip up a blank page template for me. I think I get two domains with this deal I have with the website provider.
It's just part of my new commitment to actually voice my opinions.
DAR
Good job!
tmiller51

Post by tmiller51 »

I ran across this site: http://www.slideshare.net/ that looks useful for embedding powerpoint slides on the web site. It's easy to upload a powerpoint to the site and then you can embed a viewer on your web page; the bandwidth is on them.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

If I find a little time, I'd like to modernize the logo a little bit - unless that would offend anyone...
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Betsy wrote:If I find a little time, I'd like to modernize the logo a little bit - unless that would offend anyone...
DAR
Take a look at the logo used by the newspaper ad, on the fayfreethinker.com website. The black and white version (I just scanned it from the newspaper) really doesn't do it justice. I am hoping to talk the newspaper people into letting me have the full color beautiful digital version if we buy a bunch of ads. Then we can replace the temporary rudimentary one on the page (top left).
But feel free to work on a snazzy one of your own. Something with a brain and little electrons spinning around seems to be a nice theme. Or maybe something else.

D.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

that's what I meant - not really CHANGE the whole concept, just make it more modern
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
SAV was able to come over Saturday and was able to incorporate some of your suggestions Juju. The website looks a lot cleaner now. Thanks for the suggestions.

D.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Betsy has tracked down some logos that might be useful to us. I have split her post to a new thread for easier feedback.

--Sav, Mod@Large
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Betsy

Post by Betsy »

that is super cool - is it copyrighted or can you purchase it to use?
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Betsy wrote:is it copyrighted or can you purchase it to use?
DAR
I don't know. Probably. I just googled "brain logo" and found bunches.

Post by guest »

DAR
Bump to get my red name off the main screen.

Post by guest »

Bump