Help with Guest Posting

Ask questions about this discussion board here.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Help with Guest Posting

Post by Savonarola »

"Help! I can't seem to submit a guest post!"

Due to the abundance of spamming robots, FFForums uses measures to reduce the amount of spam that is posted on our boards. These measures may prove mildly difficult for some guests to circumvent without help.

Here's how you can prove you're not a robot:
  1. Fill in the silly question field. This question will change periodically, but the answer will always be obvious. Bots insert text into known fields and submit; most will not recognize this field and either leave it blank or fill it with garbage/spam. Without inserting the correct code, a guest post will not be submitted. Show us you're not a robot by reading and understanding directions.
  2. Be sure that at least ten seconds has elapsed between the time you load a reply page and the time you hit submit. Bots tend to automatically fill out fields in the blink of an eye and submit; show us you're not a bot by actually typing a meaningful message, which ought to take that much time anyway.
    • If you submit too quickly, your action will be treated as a preview request. Simply wait ten seconds after the preview has loaded to submit.
    • You will have to fill out the silly question field again whenever a preview is generated.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Re: Help with Guest Posting

Post by Savonarola »

Savonarola wrote:Due to the abundance of spamming robots, FFForums uses measures to reduce the amount of spam that is posted on our boards. These measures may prove mildly difficult for some guests to circumvent without help.
Due to a change in software, the above anti-spam measures have now been changed. The anti-spam measures that now apply to guests are:
  1. All guests will be required to answer the CAPTCHA question correctly when posting. A CAPTCHA is a string of characters obscured by visual interference; it is designed to be readable by humans but not by automated spammers.
  2. Guests are no longer allowed to post URLs or images. This is an unfortunate but necessary change that is likely to severely inhibit the incidence of advertisement spam, which has become overwhelming despite other methods that have been implemented both behind the scenes and not.

I regret the inconvenience to our guest posters who responsibly participate on our forums.

I would like to encourage those guests to register as users. An email address is required when registering, but we do not currently check the authenticity of these addresses (partly because emailing via the forums has been disabled for your protection). There are a few anti-bot and anti-spam devices in place for registration and for newly registered (i.e. unconfirmed-as-human) users that can be read about here. There are additional features available to registered users, as well.

For those users who have registered but have continued to participate as guests for such an extended period of time that you have forgotten your password, email fayfreethinkers AT yahoo DOT com to have your password reset and sent to you.

It is my hope that these changes will result in an overall more enjoyable experience here at FFForums. Thank you for your cooperation.
--Savonarola, FFForums Mod@Large

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone. I am a new member here and I have faced the same problem and haven't found the solution yet.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Guest wrote:Hi everyone. I am a new member here and I have faced the same problem and haven't found the solution yet.
Interesting.
You are a member, yet you are trying to submit posts as guests.
You cannot submit a guest post, which you tell us in a guest post.

If you have a real problem, please be more specific regarding what you are trying to do and what happens when you try.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

Looks like a spammer, see here.

Notice they posted there as "Best 19." We have a new "best 19" and they responded with a similarly generic reply:

"I was laughing for five minutes after I had read it. That was really funny, I have never read such a ridiculous article."

...to a link in James's article that no longer works.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:Looks like a spammer, see here.
Yep, thanks for the heads-up.
Darrel wrote:We have a new "best 19" ...
Not for long!