Creationist Lecture in town

Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Re: Creationist Lecture in town

Post by Savonarola »

Jenn79 wrote:His first answer was to deflect and ask me What I thought happened after death.
The correct answer in this case is: "The topic of your talk was not what happens after death but rather that atheism/atheists are to blame for the problem. You failed to draw a causal connection between these actions to which you object and atheism. Why, Dr. Harrub, why?"
Jenn79 wrote:I waited another 15 minutes to get him to sign it and he signed it saying "Keep looking for your evidence" which I felt was sort of a snide dig at me and my disbelief without being mean.
You should find a copy of Galileo's Dialogue and send it to him after writing in the front: "Found it! In accordance with tradition, it was being ignored and misrepresented by religion the whole time!"
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

kwlyon wrote:NO ONE WON THE COLD WAR....The US just lost a little less than Russia
DAR
Yes, I can see how you can say that. But that is using "won" in a very different sense than the prophecies the JW's referred too. The USSR was supposed to kick America's ass. Didn't happen. And if there was to be a "winner," it wasn't in any sense, the Soviets.

D.
------------------------
"The King of the North: The United States. ... and the king of the North will storm against him with chariots, with horsemen and with many ships; and he will enter countries, overflow them and pass through." (Daniel 11: 40)

http://www.teachinghearts.org/dre17hdan11b.html

(typical loony site)
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Darrel wrote: DAR
Yes, I can see how you can say that. But that is using "won" in a very different sense than the prophecies the JW's referred too. The USSR was supposed to kick America's ass. Didn't happen. And if there was to be a "winner," it wasn't in any sense, the Soviets.
Agreed... You know if you got the deluxe system, you could even role play the interactive Bedazzled story line... I think I would choose an alternative ending.... It would involve my "eternal damnation".
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:This is so breathtakingly stupid I can't attribute this to anything but voluntary intellectual dishonesty. I pointed out that Russia was so poor they had some ships that had run out of gas and needed to be helped by some US ships that were nearby (this was years ago). I pointed out that US wealth and economy VASTLY exceeded that of Russia. At the time, the state (maybe it was the city) of New York collected more in tax revenue than Russia.
DOUG
What does your mama say about those facts? Does she just deny that those statements are true, or does she insist that the Soviets had secret money? Why did the Soviet Union disband if they won the Cold War? Usually the winners survive and the losers in war do not, if one has to go. Funny how this worked out the reverse!
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Darrel wrote:I will call him in the morning. It's written in my book, so it will happen.
DAR
Okay, I just called him, as promised. He said he had just seen my card in his desk and said to himself "Gee, I need to give him a call." See, he's a good guy just like I said!

So we set it up for the evening of the 15th at a restaurant in Springdale. We didn't talk about bringing other people but I was thinking maybe Doug and Dr. Cherry (who mentioned he would like to come). He might keep me and Doug calm if we get too excited. Cherry seems to have infinite patience since he had many one on one sessions with Briney without actually strangling him (very impressive). I don't want to overwhelm him with too many of us on the first visit. If it goes well maybe we can do it again (he'll probably say, "yeah, lets do it again") and then we can cycle different freethinkers through each time.

D.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Doug wrote:DOUG
What does your mama say about those facts?
DAR
She says she "knew I would be disagreeable about it."
Does she just deny that those statements are true, or does she insist that the Soviets had secret money?
DAR
See's quoting this information from the Watchtower, so she doesn't need to think about such things. God's organization wouldn't lie.
Why did the Soviet Union disband if they won the Cold War?
DAR
Actually, the JW's have been floating the idea of changing who is/was the "King of the North." I think they even mentioned... "maybe China." Or maybe that was my JW grandmother. One of them did.
Funny how this worked out the reverse!
DAR
Pretty standard really. The JW's have a perfect record of prophecy failure. Just like the Bible.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:He said he had just seen my card in his desk and said to himself "Gee, I need to give him a call."
DOUG
OK, so he's still a liar.

The 15th, 6:30pm at the restaurant. Sounds good. I wonder if the restaurant has Keebler products...
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:So we set it up for the evening of the 15th at a restaurant in Springdale. We didn't talk about bringing other people but I was thinking maybe Doug and Dr. Cherry (who mentioned he would like to come).
1. I think it's a great idea to have Dr. Cherry there.
2. I'm tempted to crash this party.
3. It would probably be better if I didn't.
4. Because of my school schedule, I don't think I could anyway.
5. I demand a full report on or before the Solstice/Humanlight dinner.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Bah. He probably sincerely thought he would call when he said that (if he said that). As I said, I am not even sure how we left it with regard to who was going to call who. We were both heading out for month long vacations, we each had each others contact information and we said we would get together later. And now we shall, just as we said we would.

You better be on good behavior. I wouldn't mind setting up something regular with the guy.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Savonarola wrote: 5. I demand a full report on or before the Solstice/Humanlight dinner.
DAR
Righto. Would have loved to have you but four on one is really pushing it. If we can set up another one, or something regular you'll definitely be in the loop. I just bought a new spy pen that actually takes really good video and audio. Maybe I'll ask him if I can use it (or maybe I won't...).
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Darrel wrote:
Savonarola wrote: 5. I demand a full report on or before the Solstice/Humanlight dinner.
DAR
Righto. Would have loved to have you but four on one is really pushing it. If we can set up another one, or something regular you'll definitely be in the loop. I just bought a new spy pen that actually takes really good video and audio. Maybe I'll ask him if I can use it (or maybe I won't...).
Yes I think it would be best to set up something some time where he will not feel so on the defensive. I would love to meet with him however I am quite open about my agenda...I am always respectful and overly kind. I just don't like people, even inadvertently, misinforming young people. If you ever set up something less confrontational feel free to invite me. I would love to lend my assistance and would enjoy the opportunity to discuss with him the inevitable consequences to his misinformation.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:
DAR
Bah. He probably sincerely thought he would call when he said that (if he said that)."

DOUG
He did say that. That's why I called him a liar to his face more than once. I knew he would not call you. But in this case, I said he is still a liar, suggesting that he was a liar when he lied and said he would call you, and he was a liar again when he said (What a coincidence!) that when you called he had just seen your card in his desk and said to himself "Gee, I need to give him a call." What are the odds?

Of course, I will be polite when we meet.