Creationist Lecture in town

Nick_F

Creationist Lecture in town

Post by Nick_F »

I went back to my hometown of Harrison the other day to spend Thanksgiving with my family and noticed that the newspaper ran a half-page advertisement every single day for a "Creation and Evolution Forum" that is being held at the community COLLEGE. Not only that but I encountered several local businesses that were displaying this same advertisement on their front doors. This kind of thing angers me to the core and I was only planning on going if some of you will be there as well. The paper says that the primary questions that will be answered are those such as "Did humans evolve from ape-like creatures? How is atheism infiltrating American culture? We will investigate the evidence." In case anyone wants to make the trip (it's only 75 minutes from Fayetteville) here's the event calendar, and please comment if you plan to attend: Dec 4th @ 7PM - Atheism's Attack on America
Dec 5th @ 6:30 - Genesis vs Darwin
@7:30 - The Dinosaur Dilemma
Dec 6th @ 9AM - 7 Reasons we are losing our kids

I expect this to be a lecture format since there is a guest speaker coming in (Brad Harrub who apparently has his doctorate in anatomy and neurobiology) and a Q&A afterwards.
kwlyon

Re: Creationist Lecture in town

Post by kwlyon »

I would like to attend. I will have to check my calendar and see if I am free but I think I will be able to.

Kevin
Nick_F

Post by Nick_F »

Great. Well just let me know and we can either ride over together or meet up when we get there.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

I'm in a strange position. I'm tempted to go, but at the same time, I think it will be largely a waste of time.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

I am working 4,5, and 6 this week. If you go, tell them if they want to defend any of this tripe we'll be glad to debate them in Fayetteville.
Nick_F

Post by Nick_F »

Savonarola wrote:I'm in a strange position. I'm tempted to go, but at the same time, I think it will be largely a waste of time.
That is what I originally thought when I saw it in the paper, but when I noticed more of these flyers around town I realized it may be a bit bigger than I thought. This seems to be well advertised.
Nick_F

Post by Nick_F »

Oh, and this is the same town that has a huge billboard on the highway advertising a Creation Club. http://creationclub. us/index.cfm?i=8316&mid=2 I'm sure they will be there too.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Nick_F wrote:Great. Well just let me know and we can either ride over together or meet up when we get there.
Carpooling would be great...I mean just in case jesus is delayed. We should try to keep the air a little clean. Of course this will be a waist of time. But so are video games...this kinda stuff is generally far more entertaining. It's like a good horror flick...only unlike the exorcist it's all real.
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

Hey guys, Larry and I plan to go. We would like to meetup with yall as well. Since, I live in Harrison, I can help with deciding where to meetup at. My house is even an option.

Click Here for directions to the Durand Center.

Email: rbtmdl@email.com

EDIT (200912031620): I fixed the link to the google map to the Durand Center. I messed up and pasted the wrong url. Sorry.
Last edited by RobertMadewell on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick_F

Post by Nick_F »

Kevin - Why don't you give me a call tomorrow afternoon sometime (around 4 is best) and we'll set up a time and place to meet up and leave. I was planning on just driving up there Saturday afternoon and coming right back after it's over. 870-715-5838.

Robert - We could just meet you guys up there at around 6 if that works for you.
Judy Madewell

Post by Judy Madewell »

My husband has told me about this meeting. I have a suggestion or two if I may. Please spread out instead of sitting near each other. Don't want them to catch on too quick that it isn't going their way. When you ask a question to the forum, it isn't about their answer. You already know their answer. Imagine me in the audience. That is the person you are presenting a new way of thinking to. Robert has talked with me and planted seeds in my head. I think over them for awhile and then that raises more questions and further investigation. When I heard PZ Myers say "Your religion is ridiculous" my ears heard, "You are stupid and have no brain". Going this way shut me down. Thank you for allowing me to share these ideas. This is just one way to go about it. It seems to me that this forum will be controlled and injecting arguments will divide people. And a Christian is going to go to the Christian side even if they don't know what is going on. So this may not be the time and place to vent or let ego show that you know more about everything then they do. To me, if you go down the road of aggressively trying to make your point (on deaf ears) then it is a power play. I would walk away with being down on people telling me that what I had believed all my life was stupid or something worse, like the God I love doesn't exist. But I certaintly have had seeds gently planted in my head and months later, came around to accepting evolution.
Judy Madewell

Post by Judy Madewell »

Actually Robert said that PZ said "Religion is ridiculous" not "Your religion is. . . " Again, just hard to hear what he is actually is saying."
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'll go. Fayetteville departure, 479/846/5446
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

Hey Nick_F!

Is this the sign you were talking about? I took the photo about a week ago, but was not feeling very good that week, so I didn't get it uploaded, until today when you reminded me.

I took two (in case one was crap). They both came out great and legible. I'm posting the 320x240 versions of them. Click on the pictures to download the 1024x768 versions. Do whatever with them, if you want. I am not going to copyright them.

Image Image

I actually do know the pastor of this church, Heath Kirkpatrick. He and I have actually became good friends, despite our differences and he's slowly coming around to the idea that atheists aren't neccessarily evil. He still say's we're going to Hail, though. Small step, I guess.

In one of our conversations, he claimed that creationism is not religiously motivated, and that creationists are scientifically seeking truth and it's creationism that's passing their scientific tests. You can be sure that I told him why I thought that statement is false.

I may ask Heath that if creationism is not religiously motivated, in his opinion, why did he paint the letter T, in the word creation, on that sign as a religious symbol. Seems a bit contradictory to me. Maybe, we'll see him at the convention. I'l introduce you all. He'll crack you up!
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

I just realized that parking is going to be hard. The Durand Center does not have a large parking lot. The church that is hosting this convention is a block or two from the Center and they have a huge parking lot. So, maybe there'll be additional parking there.

Another option is that I have room for a few cars to park in my driveway and back yard. I have room for 3 or 4 people besides myself in my car, so if anyone wants to ride with me, meet me at my house before 6:30 on Friday, and 6:00 on Saturday.

Google Map to My House!

Edit (200912031640): Whew! I finally got the google map fixed right. It's pretty cool, because the street view parks you right in front of my house. Turn to the right on the street view and there's a picture of my house! It's the "Spanish Villa." I think it looks like a castle.
Last edited by RobertMadewell on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

RobertMadewell wrote:I actually do know the pastor of this church, Heath Kirkpatrick. He and I have actually became good friends, despite our differences and he's slowly coming around to the idea that atheists aren't neccessarily evil. He still say's we're going to Hail, though. Small step, I guess.
Exactly. That is how I was "saved". I had a pagan dorm mate so many years ago...he was a very good person. At first I tried to believe he wasn't for real, but as it became increasingly evident that he was in fact an extraordinarily good human being, I was ultimately forced to address the idea that he was going to hell. This was the beginning of the end for me...it set me on my path to salvation:) Be kind to these people. Be respectful. Understand you are on their turf. And engage them...speak to them and exchange ideas. Stand your ground and insist on honesty, accuracy, and respect. Basically, live up to the ideals that they so often fail to. In the end I don't want to force them to think like me...or even agree with me. All I want is for them to respect me as a neighbor. If that is ever going to happen, we must be the grownups.

Kevin
Last edited by kwlyon on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Savonarola wrote:I'm in a strange position. I'm tempted to go, but at the same time, I think it will be largely a waste of time.
I agree...but I think I will go. If nothing else I am exceedingly proficient at playing the "good cop". If you go I might actually figure out who the hell you are!

Kevin
Nick_F

Post by Nick_F »

Kevin, are we carpooling? If so I thought we could meet up at the Harps on Crossover and Mission and head out from there. By the way, I talked to Robert today on the phone and he said you were a graduate student at the UofA. I'm also a student going through the biology curriculum. But anyway, just let me know what you decide either way.
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

Hey Kevin!

I really am going to Hell. Click here to see how I'm going to get there.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Can we get a brief (or even a not-so-brief, if there's time and that much content worth sharing) report about how this went?