The Churches

graybear13
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

The Churches

Post by graybear13 »

David Franks,

I actually have respect for both science and religion. I know I can not offer you anything because your glass is full but maybe someone else is listening that has ears that can hear.

When a group of people (church) presents an expanded explanation of truth based on fact, I call that science. When a church presents an expanded explanation of truth based on a guess and begins to feel it necessary to defend the church, that is the beginning of turmoil. This distraction may lead to a crisis in science. I hope so!

When a church presents an expanded explanation of truth based only on love, compassion and service to mankind, I call that religion. When a church is based on anything less, hypocrisy creeps in and must be rationalized, justified and defended if necessary. That is the seeds of war. Hypocrisy has taken over the Christian religion and it has been in crisis for a long.

regards, gray
David Franks
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Re: The Churches

Post by David Franks »

graybear13 wrote:I actually have respect for both science and religion.
I believe the word I'm looking for here is snort.
I know I can not offer you anything because your glass is full
That's not why you can't offer me anything.
When a group of people (church) presents an expanded explanation of truth based on fact, I call that science.
Not all explanations based on fact are scientific. "Scientific" and "factual" are not synonymous. But regardless of the nature of the fact-based "explanation of truth", it simply indicates that even church people sometimes talk about something other than religion.
When a church presents an expanded explanation of truth based on a guess and begins to feel it necessary to defend the church, that is the beginning of turmoil.
Religion ultimately bases all explanations on a guess, which, without the benefit of scientific testing, becomes hope and faith; it is not possible to determine whether any of them are "explanations of truth". This is why your posts are more religious than scientific: you avoid the opportunity to support your claims with evidence based on testing. You would know this if you respected religion.
This distraction may lead to a crisis in science.
There are few distractions or crises in science. Science welcomes new hypotheses and further investigation. You would know this if you respected science. Do you hear much about aether, the geocentric universe or phlogiston these days?
I hope so!
Of course you do. Hope is one of the legs of the ladder of religion.
When a church presents an expanded explanation of truth based only on love, compassion and service to mankind, I call that religion.
That's a very incomplete and generous definition of religion.
When a church is based on anything less, hypocrisy creeps in and must be rationalized, justified and defended if necessary.
It's still religion.
That is the seeds of war.
How many wars has science caused?
Hypocrisy has taken over the Christian religion and it has been in crisis for a long.
True, but irrelevant.
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."