Post your Easter Challenge Solution here

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Post your Easter Challenge Solution here

Post by Dardedar »

SteveMc wrote:I plan on being around until at least 2050 when I'll be 83 (with the option to revise that estimate at that time).

"Amazing, none of the people that I have been aware of who passed away recently, planned on when they would die."
Well, at church they are regularly misinformed and told that they won't die, so it probably came as a surprise. Being aware that we all die and pass away, is a sign of mental maturity and health. It may even be unique to our humanness. People go to great efforts to avoid this reality and sometimes they invest their entire life in performing superstitious rites in the hope they can avoid the reality. But in the end, reality isn't fooled. It doesn't care about our religious stories.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
So at our current rate of filling pages (about 4 in a month since I actually started posting in January) this thread will be about 960 pages long, give or take a couple dozen, or hundred. Will that crash your server?
If I am reading our memory allotment correctly, we are using about 1/74,000th of what is available to us. So, no worries.

D.
------------------
"....Man can contemplate his own mortality and finds the thought intolerable. Any animal will struggle to protect itself from a threat of death. Faced with a predator, it flees, hides, fights or employs some other defensive mechanism, such as death-feigning or the emission of stinking fluids. There are many self-protection mechanisms, but they all occur as a response to an immediate danger. When man contemplates his future death, it is as if, by thinking of it, he renders it immediate. His defense is to deny it. He cannot deny that his body will die and rot--the evidence is too strong for that; so he solves the problem by the invention of an immortal soul--a soul which is more 'him' than even his physical body is 'him.' If this soul can survive in an afterlife, then he has successfully defended himself against the threatened attack on his life. This gives the agents of the gods a powerful area of support. All they need to do is to remind their followers constantly of their mortality and to convince them that the afterlife itself is under the personal management of the particular gods they are promoting. The self-protective urges of their worshippers will do the rest."
[Desmond Morris, "Religious Displays," _Manwatching: A Field Guide to Human Behavior, 1977, Abrams, New York, p. 149-51.]
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
SteveMc
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by SteveMc »

Money is going in the mail today. Sorry for the delay, but they had my car in the shop for a day longer than planned. I was on my bicycle and couldn't make it to the Post Office. Those will probably be a thing of the past before long, Post Offices I mean. Bikes are definitely back in. You probably can't trust a lying, dishonest Christian like myself to go ahead and send the book, so I will wait with anticipation. I really would like to have it to take with me to Dallas Seminary.

Have to get back to work.

Steve
John 3:16: For God so loved [Steve McCormick, Darrel, Doug, Sav, kwlyon] that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him would not perish, but have eternal life.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

SteveMc wrote: You probably can't trust a lying, dishonest Christian like myself to go ahead and send the book, so I will wait with anticipation.
I never said you were a "lying dishonest Christian," I said Jesus was a fibber, just like his Papa (see below).

I'll send the book shortly, with a bonus (the Fabulous Fayetteville Freethinker Fact-filled Family Fun Folder).

Have fun in Dallas but remember, what they are peddling at Dallas Theological Seminary isn't scholarship. Scholars don't take loyalty oaths to dogmatic statements of fundamentalist belief before they begin their work.

D.
-------------
And if the prophet be deceived when he hath
spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that
prophet... Ezekiel 14:9
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a
lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and
the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.
1 Kings 22:23 also 2 Chron. 18:22
...Ah, Lord God! surely thou hast greatly deceived
this people and Jerusalem... Jer. 4:10
O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived... Jer 20:7
...God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie... 2 Thess. 2:11
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
SteveMc

Post by SteveMc »

Yeah, I've seen those, and I could give you lots more! And oh, but Darrel, how quickly you forget. You HAVE called me both a liar and intellectually dishonest. Better go back and read the emails and posts, including Facebook.

I am socked in now until Sunday afternoon as far as more time to spend on this. I will respond to Doug's post Sunday or Monday night. Life.

Steve
John 3:16: For God so loved [Steve McCormick, Darrel, Doug, Sav, kwlyon] that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him would not perish, but have eternal life.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

SteveMc wrote:Yeah, I've seen those, and I could give you lots more!
I know. Your God is a liar and deceiver, no big deal. And you could probably give many more Easter problems too (not to suggest that they really are problems). But when are you going to begin to attempt to solve these problems?
You HAVE called me both a liar and intellectually dishonest.
Excellent. Then you'll have no trouble at all backing up your claim citing exactly where I have called you "a liar." Good luck with that. Course when you find that you can't, an apology would be in order.

Intellectual dishonesty? Bigtime. That goes hand in hand with fundamentalism. Dallas Theological Seminary requiring loyalty oaths for participation? That's intellectually dishonest. Intellectually honest people follow the evidence where it leads, they don't presume it from the outset and then make up apologetics to arrive at a predetermined conclusion.
Better go back and read the emails and posts, including Facebook.
I posted nothing on Facebook in the exchange you refer to and all of my emails to you (before the creation of this topic) are posted under this Easter Challenge topic. So a search of each of the 104 posts in this topic finds that the word "liar" doesn't occur until the fourth page of posts and at no time in any of these emails, posts or on Facebook did I ever once call you a liar. That you consistently get things extraordinarily wrong when you refer to what I or SAV have said, has been shown to be the case, over and over and over. This is just another example.

D.
---------------
STEVE: "John 3:16: For God so loved [Steve McCormick, Darrel..., Doug, Sav, kwlyon] that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him would not perish, but have eternal life."

I like Robert Ingersoll's version better:

"God so loved the world that he made up his mind to damn a large majority of the human race."
[Robert G. Ingersoll]
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

SteveMc wrote:[to Darrel] You HAVE called me both a liar and intellectually dishonest. Better go back and read the emails and posts, including Facebook.
You're probably thinking of me. Better go back and read the emails and posts, including facebook, and you'll see why I called you those things, not that you haven't demonstrated plenty of the latter here.
David Franks

Post by David Franks »

SteveMc wrote:So at our current rate of filling pages (about 4 in a month since I actually started posting in January) this thread will be about 960 pages long, give or take a couple dozen, or hundred.
So at the current rate of accomplishment to avoidance, I'm guessing that your response to the Easter Challenge will be on Page 958, give or take a couple dozen, or hundred.

I do hope that you will get to it sooner rather than later, though, as I have my own solution to the Challenge, and I propose to allow you your chance to win the goat before I take it. (For your information, I am fluent in, and rather an expert on, every language needed in order to solve the problems making up the Challenge.)

N. B. -- Being told that your argument is intellectually dishonest is not the same thing as being called intellectually dishonest yourself, though your posts so far appear to support either accusation.
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

David Franks wrote:
SteveMc wrote: ...I have my own solution to the Challenge, and I propose to allow you your chance to win the goat before I take it.
Great. So David is suggesting that either way, somebody is going to GET MY GOAT.

I better get a loaner Billy and have my six nannies get to work making new ones.
SteveMc

Post by SteveMc »

Thanks, Sav, I REALLY (sincerely, so there is no misunderstanding) appreciate your honesty. To be truthful (hard as that may be to imagine) I have not encountered anyone so far in all these discussions (if you can call them that) who has been so honest and transparent as you. I am not kidding or exaggerating when I say that. You are a full time teacher, I have only done that on a substitute basis. I LOVE interacting with students. I have subbed for everything from kindergarten (if there was a purgatory that is one of the occupations they would offer) through high school. I envy your position and opportunity to influence the lives of teenagers, though we would differ on emphasis and direction. If I could go back and do it all again I would love to be a teacher.

David, go for it. I am not in this for a goat, or a thousand dollars, which of course mysteriously disappeared from the table after Darrel told me about it and invited my interaction. Go figure...but why would I be surprised?

Darrel and Doug, you guys are an absolute riot to be engaged in discussion with. This is so much like shooting fish in a barrel I am embarrassed to be doing what I am doing. If you would ever quit feeding me material to research and respond to I guess I would get farther in these posts than I have. I just want you to know I have nothing personal against you guys. I am sure you are terrific apart from all this stuff. Darrel, you talked about going to a bar the other night and being too influenced to make an accurate assessment of my post. I used to work in a bar, Coral Gables in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I knocked a Slo-Gin Fizz over in a girl's lap while delivering pitchers of beer to their table and I think her boyfriend might have killed me if not for the bouncers that CG hired from the Western Michigan football team. They had to wear shirts and ties, but their necks were so big that there was only about six inches of tie left in front of their shirts.

Tag team. I love it. The more the merrier.

And by the way, Darrel, you don't have to use the word "liar" to call someone a liar. But no matter, if you have called my Lord Jesus, and my Father, Yahweh, liars, then you have applied the term to me as well. And I am content with that. I will however have to correct you about your comment earlier about the memory of your server. Your server's memory is barely a fraction of what you posted. That is actually referred to as storage capacity of the hard drive. Your server's memory is the RAM that it runs off to process information. Just so you know in the future for responding to others. I work in IT.

Doug, this is directed to you specifically.

Welcome to the discussion, I notice you have been lurking in the shadows. By your "work" I see you posess (or at least have access to) a Strong's Concordance. Good. It would be better for you if you have access to more advanced resources. Maybe you could tell me what you have so I know what to direct you to. I already know if I ask you what your credentials are that Darrel will blow a gasket, so I will just assume that like the others you don't have any.

I will conclude by what you have said so far that:
A. You believe that Jesus is a real historical figure, and not a figment of imagination like some atheists seem to contend.
B. You believe that the encounter between the high priests, the Sanhedrin with all attendees, and Jesus really took place.
C. That the high priest was really interrogating Jesus.
D. That the words recorded by John were really spoken by Jesus and accurately written down.
E. That the words as recorded in the Gospel according to John are the same words that John actually wrote (that is, there was no corruption in the transmission of them from the autograph to the texts from which modern scholars work to produce our current translations).

There has been so much miscommunication up to this point, let's you and I start fresh. Please confirm that I have accurately assessed your current position. That will help me out when I respond tomorrow or Monday.

For anyone joining the discussion at this point who is unaware of literary devices, what I am doing is called a setup. What Doug and Darrel are about to do is called "Painting yourself into a corner."

I know you guys are aware the playing field is not level. What I am not sure of is that you realize which way it is tilted.

So, although the questions were directed to Doug, you might want to confer with Darrel BEFORE you answer. Because from here on they will get more difficult and more embarrassing to answer. But again, nothing personal.

So, I am off to cut, split, haul, and stack firewood, and work on my taxes. Got to pay the man, or in my case, be paid back by the man. I don't earn enough to pay taxes.

Steve
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

I think Steve is getting a little grumpy, and this makes him even more sloppy and error prone than normal. Xtians get furious when you point out that their Bible reveals their gods to be blatant fibbers.
And careful readers will note that as usual, Steve would rather talk about anything other the Easter problems before him (I was just reading some old posts from October where Steve bragged that it would be "a few weeks" before he would have his book/paper ready to be sent to a publisher for review). Yet here we are four months later and he hasn't even begun.
SteveMc wrote: David, go for it. I am not in this for a goat, or a thousand dollars, which of course mysteriously disappeared from the table after Darrel told me about it and invited my interaction. Go figure...but why would I be surprised?
Steve tells us once again that he isn't in this for the money but then pretends as if it was dishonestly or unfairly taken off the table. This is not accurate. Let me review:

For over a decade have offered various rewards, all of them legitimate and backed by money in the bank.

1) Over ten years ago when there was a spat of bigfoot sightings reported in the news, I went on the local 40/29 evening news and offered a $50,000 reward to anyone that could bring him in. That was about my net worth at the time. Bring in this new hominid, get the money.

2) At our Springfest booth we (meaning me) regularly offer a $5,000 cash reward, to anyone who can move a little Styrofoam ball three inches (under a glass cover), using only the power of their mind. This is a legitimate offer, move the ball, get the money.

3) Also at our booth we offer $1,000 cash reward, on the spot, to anyone that can discern/guess a word that is hidden in an envelope in a box. Guess the word, get the money (we've had probably 400 attempts or so, new word loaded each time).

4) We (meaning me) have long offered (more than a decade) $1,000 standing reward to anyone who can perform a supernatural/paranormal event under proper observing conditions (as determined by all parties involved, in advance). Our local newspaper has published articles about this offer and for years we ran ads. We once had a lady go for this prize based upon her claimed ability to identify the gender of a corpse in a grave using her dowsing rods. We went to a cemetery and she tried her skills on 20 graves where we temporarily hid the gender from her. If she had gotten 16 out of the 20 right (80% accuracy) she would have gotten the $1,000 handed to her on the spot, cash. She got nine right. Less than chance.

The above shows that I am quite forthright in putting my money where my mouth is and providing honest reward offers. All of the above tests above have the fortunate attribute of being straightforward and able to produce black/white up/down results, so discerning success and completion of the challenge is immediately identifiable, no interpretation necessary. This necessarily differs from an offer of a reward regarding supposed prophecy fulfillment or Easter harmonization because when dealing with language, interpretation is required. I've known this from the beginning. So along comes Steve, all full of bluster and talk about how he can waltz through these problems. He talked about the money for a bit but specifically said more than once that he wasn't interested in that. On October 9th he said:

"I don’t have time for finishing this project right now, and in light of what Darrell told me it is pointless to pursue it. I was never in it for the money, so that doesn’t matter." LINK.

Again above he says: "I am not in this for a goat, or a thousand dollars..."

I've already walked him through how this challenge differs from our other rewards in that it requires interpretation. I could see how this could be a useful rabbit trail for Steve to go on endlessly about, and I really wanted to get on to his solutions, but it really became apparent that it was a huge distraction from the actual goal here (supposedly learning about possibly solutions for these Easter problems), when Steve mentioned a concern about being sued over these exchanges. And I quote:

ST: "Who you will get who will be qualified to judge whether or not my exegesis and hermeneutic is properly applied and executed? Are you and those you mentioned who will consider my work experts in these disciplines? I am not especially excited at the prospect of entering a class action suit as defendant where plaintiffs have appointed themselves as judge, jury, and court recorder, not to mention establishing the rules of evidence to suit the situation. I trust this is not what I face, for no amount of effort on my part would overcome such a bias." --ibid

That's when I realized we may not be dealing with a person who's elevator goes all the way to the top floor. It's unfortunate that literary harmonization requires subjective human interpretation but there is nothing I can do about that. I hope this makes it clear why I was interested in getting on to discussing the actual problems at hand rather than trying to figure out a detailed adjudication process with a person who:

a) says they aren't interested in the money/goat anyway
b) is so mentally confused that they could think they might be sued over their inability to solve these Easter problems.

As I've told Steve from the beginning, it really isn't about the goat or the money, it's about teaching Christians things they don't know about their Bible. And as Steve has forthrightly admitted throughout this exchange, and has been obvious to observers, he has learned a great deal about this issue due to these exchanges (as he notes on his blog). Most Christians are oblivious to these problems.

Now on to Steve's further distractions, evasions and time wasting.
This is so much like shooting fish in a barrel I am embarrassed to be doing what I am doing.
That's appropriate. You should be embarrassed. I know you don't think you are the fish in the barrel, but if you did, you would no doubt fancy yourself a great white shark. I think casual observers might find you to be a bit more of a minnow. I certainly do. Always darting this way and that, avoiding.
If you would ever quit feeding me material to research and respond to I guess I would get farther in these posts than I have.
Yes, it's our fault that you haven't focused on the Easter problems before you. If only you had been given an opportunity to address that topic.
Darrel, you talked about going to a bar the other night and being too influenced to make an accurate assessment of my post.
I was asked to do a comedy routine (roast) on January 3. It went quite well. I had three beers. When I saw that you had made a good faith effort to do something, I said: "good job." When I actually read it the next day, I observed that it was a mess.
And by the way, Darrel, you don't have to use the word "liar" to call someone a liar.
Then what word did I use? You don't provide it. I knew your claim was false (and this was easy to show as I already have) because I consistently use a strict definition of liar, which means to intentionally deceive. I try not to attribute to intentional deceit what may just be gross sloppiness and incompetence. For this reason, and knowing your history, I cut you a lot of slack.

You made the charge: "You HAVE called me both a liar and intellectually dishonest."

This suggests that you grasp the difference between "liar" and "intellectually dishonest." Good. Now either admit your claim is incorrect, or produce the citation/reference showing that I "HAVE" called you "a liar." Otherwise you run the risk of, ironically, becoming that which I didn't call you.
Most of your problems arise from a profoundly sloppy use of language. This is not an accident, it's actually what preachers spend a great deal of time learning (in fundie seminaries) and in church teaching the sheep. We'll see if we can get you to be a bit more honest and accurate with language.
But no matter, if you have called my Lord Jesus, and my Father, Yahweh, liars, then you have applied the term to me as well.
No, that doesn't follow. Unless you are so deluded you think you are your gods, then, applying the term to them, does not mean the term applies to you. Non sequiter. Think about it.
I will however have to correct you about your comment earlier about the memory of your server. Your server's memory is barely a fraction of what you posted. That is actually referred to as storage capacity of the hard drive. Your server's memory is the RAM that it runs off to process information.
Our total traffic is: 3.8 GB of 99999.0 GB available.
Our disk usage is 520.24 of 1999999 MB available.

Point being, you can dodge and evade all you want, but even if you upload the entire Dallas Theo. library, you'll be running out of apologetics long before we have to deal with the concern you raised which was: "Will that crash your server?"
I work in IT.
Yes, you are the fellow who incorrectly posted on his blog that the Fayetteville Freethinkers were censoring your posts on this forum because you are so computer literate you didn't notice that our threads have more than one page.
Doug, this is directed to you specifically...
I already know if I ask you what your credentials are that Darrel will blow a gasket, so I will just assume that like the others you don't have any.
(Steve tries to pretend that I am overly concerned with advanced degrees. Little does he know...)
You would have been better off if you had assumed that Doug's credentials vastly exceed your own. Unless Doug pretends to pass himself off as someone who should be listened to regarding ancient dead languages that he doesn't understand, I think we should weigh his arguments upon their merits. Do you have any arguments regarding these Easter problems that we should consider Steve? Maybe you could present them.
A. You believe that Jesus is a real historical figure, and not a figment of imagination like some atheists seem to contend.
B. You believe that the encounter between the high priests, the Sanhedrin with all attendees, and Jesus really took place.
D. That the words recorded by John were really spoken by Jesus and accurately written down.
E. That the words as recorded in the Gospel according to John are the same words that John actually wrote (that is, there was no corruption in the transmission of them from the autograph to the texts from which modern scholars work to produce our current translations).
For someone who thinks they are shooting fish in a barrel, this is such a rudimentary mistake, it's embarrassing. I hope Doug forgives me for plucking this cherry that was handed to him.

Steve, one does not need to believe any of your A-E actually happened, in order to talk about them in the context of what the Bible claims. You are making the elementary mistake of confusing a discussion about whether a book makes a claim, with a discussion about whether that claim is true. These are two completely different things. Note:
It's true that in the Peanuts cartoon series, Charlie Brown has a dog named Snoopy. Whether Charlie Brown and his dog actually exist, is an entirely different question. Understand?
It is quite possible to talk about Tom Sawyer and his adventures with a runaway slave, without considering the question of whether the characters actually existed. Understand?
For anyone joining the discussion at this point who is unaware of literary devices, what I am doing is called a setup. What Doug and Darrel are about to do is called "Painting yourself into a corner."
Poor Steve, he brings a tiny little paint brush to a room with people packing high pressure industrial paint sprayers. Steve started this exchange months ago, painted in a corner, and he's never been able to even begin getting out of it. He's sits in his corner with paint all over his clothes. Will he someday even try to get out of his corner? We'll see. Maybe he'll return with a boatload of excuses when he comes from the Dallas Theological Seminary, truly an American Mecca of apologetic horse manure. And he thinks we haven't seen it before.

D.
---------------
PS. As I told you in an email Thursday Steve, you do not have permission to post my last name in this forum. Remove it from your signature.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

SteveMc wrote:Thanks, Sav, I REALLY (sincerely, so there is no misunderstanding) appreciate your honesty.
Honesty is quite easy when you have nothing to hide and no poorly-supported agenda to push.
SteveMc wrote:... a thousand dollars, which of course mysteriously disappeared from the table after Darrel told me about it and invited my interaction.
No, I think you're confused again. I introduced you to the Easter Challenge (don't you remember wanting to credit me for it?) and told you that there were two $1000 rewards being offered. I had confused the original $1000 Easter Challenge with Darrel's modified-reward version (i.e., forgotten that Darrel's reward was a goat,) but I think that the other $1000 reward is still in effect. We can provide you with the contact information for that person when you want it, but it's also on our website right now.
SteveMc wrote:Your server's memory is barely a fraction of what you posted.
You are almost certainly correct in the case of our server, but you might be surprised; some top-line servers nowadays have multiple hundreds gigs of RAM.
SteveMc wrote:so I will just assume that like the others you don't have any. ....
There has been so much miscommunication up to this point,
Much of this miscommunication derives from your assuming things that just aren't true. This is what led to your attributing statements and positions both to both Darrel and to me that neither of us hold as true, which in turn led me to call you a liar in the first place. Perhaps assumption and inference aren't really your forte; maybe you should try harder to avoid them.

-----
Darrel wrote:DAR
As I told you in an email Thursday Steve, you do not have permission to post my last name in this forum. Remove it from your signature.
I'll do that.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

SteveMc wrote:Doug, this is directed to you specifically.

Welcome to the discussion, I notice you have been lurking in the shadows. By your "work" I see you posess (or at least have access to) a Strong's Concordance. Good. It would be better for you if you have access to more advanced resources.

Seriously Doug, as my aunt so aptly put it during a discussion regarding Lee Strobel's "Case for a Creator", "You shouldn't talk about things you don't know about." She really put me in my place. I'm glad someone of similar expertise on this matter put you in yours!
SteveMc

Post by SteveMc »

I am trying this again as it does not seem to have posted the first time. I tried refreshing my browser and it did not show up, so it may be a dual post. If so Sav, please feel free to delete the first one.

Thanks, Sav, for deleting Darrel’s last name for me. I never got the email he mentioned, or I would have immediately removed it. I don’t know what the problem is though when both Darrel and Doug’s last names are posted publically on the Freethinker website promoting their books.

These are questions and statements made earlier by Darrel and Doug:

#1 So is it true that Jesus always taught in synagogue and in the temple? What does the biblical evidence show? It shows that this is false.
#2 So Jesus lied about where he had been teaching. Jesus wants the High Priest to think that he didn't teach anywhere but in the synagogues and in the temple, and this is a lie." --Doug K.
#3 Jesus' claim that his teachings were always in the synagogues and in the temple is false.[/i]
#4 When Jesus states, "I always taught in synagogues and in the temple," does this mean that Jesus was claiming that his teaching, at all times, took place in the synagogue or he taught in the temple? It would seem so.

The word in John 18:20 being translated as "always" in the NKJ, and by almost everyone else, is the Greek word "pantoteh." This Greek word at John 18:20 it has Strong's Greek number 3842. (Strong's list is the standard, scholarly reference list of Hebrew and Greek words from the bible.) This word is a combination of "pas," meaning "all" or "every," and "hoteh," meaning "when" or "while." "All times," basically.

and hoteh? I think you meant toteh, Doug. And what exactly do you mean by "basically"? Because I don't want to misunderstand or be accused of misrepresentation.

So the issue at this point is are the questions/statements of #1-4 valid, or erroneous? They are all in error to one degree or another except in an ironical sense #1. Jesus did not claim to only teach in the Temple or synagogues.

You are correct in that Strong’s Greek numbers are the standard list. That is because when Dr. James Strong wrote his exhaustive concordance there wasn’t anything like it. It was such a monumental undertaking that nobody wanted to create a list of their own, so everyone used his numbering system. But any scholar, as a matter of fact, any serious student of Scripture knows that you need a lot more than a Strong’s concordance understanding of what terms mean and how they are used. It is without question the most elementary of tools available. And because it is so elementary lots of people get themselves in significant error as a result of relying completely on it. We will get to the meaning of the word translated always eventually. But let’s start at the beginning of the verse.

Let’s look at what Jesus actually said. He said three things to the high priest in this verse:

1. I have spoken openly to the world
2. I have always taught in a synagogue and in the temple where the Jews always gather.
3. in secret I have said nothing.

In #1 Jesus makes a statement that compliments what he will say in the second. The word translated “world” is the Greek term kosmos. Although I took the following list from the Online Bible study software because of its compactness, it is in accord with pages 459-465 of the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament edited by Bromiley, published by Eerdmans/Paternoster. It can mean:

1) an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government
2) ornament, decoration, adornment, i.e. the arrangement of the stars, 'the heavenly hosts', as the ornament of the heavens. #1Pe 3:3
3) the world, the universe
4) the circle of the earth, the earth
5) the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family
6) the ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ
7) world affairs, the aggregate of things earthly
7a) the whole circle of earthly goods, endowments riches, advantages, pleasures, etc, which although hollow and frail and fleeting, stir desire, seduce from God and are obstacles to the cause of Christ
8) any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort
8a) the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews (#Ro 11:12 etc)
8b) of believers only, #John 1:29; 3:16; 3:17; 6:33; 12:47 #1Co 4:9; 2Co 5:19

The student of Scripture who has been trained in exegesis and hermeneutics with an emphasis on lexical-syntactical analysis knows that with multiple potential meanings it is often just the context that determines which meaning applies. An argument could be made for meaning #6 or #8 since that is how John uses the term consistently in the earlier chapters of his Gospel in ten different passages, with the most striking example being Jn 1:10-11 where “the world” represents the Gentiles, and “his own” represents unbelieving Israel . In this case the Gentiles because of his work in the area of Galilee and elsewhere makes the most sense, as first he mentions his teaching at large, “I spoke openly to the world (that is the Gentiles apart from the Jews)…” for the Gentiles would not be meeting in any significant numbers at either the Temple or in synagogues.

Where did he do this speaking to the people of the world other than the Jews? All over the place and gathered huge crowds of both Gentiles and Jews when he did so. Darrel has already rounded up a good selection of verses to prove my point, so let me just borrow them:

Darrel
Jesus taught on a mountain (Matthew 5:1-2):
"Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them, saying..."

On a boat (Matthew 13:1-2):
"That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying..."

On a plain (Luke 6:17-18):
"He went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases."

And in houses too (Luke 5:18-19):
"Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus."

Beside a lake:
Mark 2:13 "Once again Jesus went out beside the lake. A large crowd came to him, and he began to teach them."

Mark 4:1-2:
"Again Jesus began to teach by the lake. The crowd that gathered around him was so large that he got into a boat and sat in it out on the lake, while all the people were along the shore at the water's edge. He taught them many things by parables, and in his teaching said..."

Mark 6:32-35:
So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place. But many who saw them leaving recognized them and ran on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things. By this time it was late in the day, so his disciples came to him. 'This is a remote place,' they said, 'and it's already very late.'"

Thanks, Darrel, you saved me a lot of time.

So as to the questions and or statements posed at the top of this post:
#1 is actually true. The Biblical evidence shows that the assertion that Jesus only taught in the Temple and synagogues is false.
#2 is half false and half true. Jesus did not claim he only taught in the Temple. And the assertion that he claimed that he taught only in the Temple and synagogue is a lie.
#3 is irrational. Jesus did not claim he taught only in the Temple and synagogues as has been demonstrated.
#4 is both irrational and false. First, Jesus did not claim to only teach in the Temple and synagogues, and second, the assertion that he claimed he only taught and spoke in the Temple and synagogues is false.

This is where I restate my five observations of Doug’s position…:

…and wait for an answer from Doug. If I get an answer from him, I will get to the rest of my assessment of the “…careful examination that Doug put together on this:” late tomorrow night if possible.

So far Darrel and Doug, you have given me no reason to be impressed by scholarship, especially you Doug, as a doctoral candidate. I can only hope you do better than this on your doctoral dissertation. But stick to what you do best and you will probably do fine.

This is not your forte.

Steve
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Steve is of the school that a barrel of apologetic ink spilled can wipe away an enormity of Bible problems. Have a bigger problem? You just need more ink! Sometimes you need a whole book. As Voltaire once put it:

"Holy Scriptures contain all that a Christian should know and believe, provided he adds to it a million or so commentaries." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

We'll see how Steve's material holds up in a minute. But first, I have been far too lax in letting Steve flop around and evade points made, evade questions asked and follow through on his burden of backing up assertions he has made. So again on this false accusation he is trying to duck out of:

You made the following charge: "You HAVE called me both a liar and intellectually dishonest."

Now either admit your claim is incorrect, or produce the citation/reference showing that I "HAVE" called you "a liar." Otherwise you voluntarily become that which you falsely claimed I called you. And with Jesus, Yahweh and Peter already in the frying pan on this lying issue, we don't need you in there too (we'll get to that admitted liar Paul in a bit).
SteveMc wrote: I don’t know what the problem is though when both Darrel and Doug’s last names are posted publically on the Freethinker website...
We have had some vile and violent religious crazies around here. One of them was recently arrested with mental problems.

[big snip]
Let’s look at what Jesus actually said. He said three things to the high priest in this verse:
1. I have spoken openly to the world
2. I have always taught in a synagogue and in the temple where the Jews always gather.
3. in secret I have said nothing.
This really shouldn't be that difficult for you. The truth is so simple, only made up stories need such elaborate excuses and apologetic. As SAV succinctly put it above: "Honesty is quite easy when you have nothing to hide and no poorly-supported agenda to push."

1. Did Jesus speak openly to the world? No. Obviously not. He had secret teachings that he told in secret and that he told others to keep secret. If Jesus had spoken openly to the world he wouldn't have had secret teachings that he told in secret and hid in parables.

2. Did Jesus always teach in a synagogue and temple? No. Of course not. So perhaps Jesus shouldn't have said this since it was false, and he knew it was false. For a regular person, as opposed to a living God, I would cut some slack on this one. I could informally say "I always drive this way to work," and while that might be overwhelmingly true, there might have been that time when I took a different route for some reason. If Steve would read Doug's article carefully, he would see that Doug was, I thought, rather reasonable on this point.

3. Did Jesus truly... "in secret," "say nothing?" No. And this is the turd Steve will have the greatest difficulty polishing into an acceptable chocolate bar that anyone is going to want to swallow. The context of #1, as Steve correctly notes when he says:

"In #1 Jesus makes a statement that compliments what he will say in the second."

shows where Jesus was going with this in his #2, and #3. It reveals the question Jesus was probably addressing (not that we need to know what it was). And this #3 is the one where Jesus really needed to have his fingers crossed behind his back when he said it (the lie still counts though). The statement "in secret I have said nothing," only makes sense, as what Jesus plainly meant it to say, and did plainly say: that he didn't have secret teachings that he taught in secret. But he did have those. Bigtime. That's a lie. And we don't need 40 examples of him having secret teachings in order to show this was a lie. We need one.
The word translated “world” is the Greek term kosmos.
I don't think anyone has or will argue that Jesus meant the word "world" here in a literal sense. No one is claiming he lied because he didn't actually, literally, speak to "the world."

[big apologetic snip...]
Where did he do this speaking to the people of the world other than the Jews?
Again, no one is claiming he lied because he didn't actually speak to "the world." You've spent quite a bit of text here on something that has absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
Darrel has already rounded up a good selection of verses to prove my point, so let me just borrow them:
As was clearly marked, this was Doug's article, these are examples he provided. There are more.
Darrel
Jesus taught on a mountain (Matthew 5:1-2):
"Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them, saying..."

Yes, Jesus taught in many places, he didn't always teach in the "synagogue and temple" as he said. What he said, literally is not true. It will be up to readers to decide how literally they take this #2 to be.

Thanks, Darrel, you saved me a lot of time.

I am always happy to provide as much rope as a fundie may need. But as noted, this was an article by Doug. We probably should make it into a tract. Maybe you can poke some holes in it and convince us it doesn't hold up.

So as to the questions and or statements posed at the top of this post:
#1 is actually true. The Biblical evidence shows that the assertion that Jesus only taught in the Temple and synagogues is false.
#2 is half false and half true. Jesus did not claim he only taught in the Temple.

This one needs more massage. Jesus actually said: "I have always taught in a synagogue and in the temple where the Jews always gather." Yet you change it to: "Jesus did not claim he only taught in the Temple." So you seem to change Jesus' claim. Yes, he didn't say "only," he claimed he "always" taught in a synagogue and temple. And the context shows he was saying this to make the point that he: taught openly to the world, "always" taught in these places, and in secret said nothing. But he didn't, he taught in other places and had secret teachings.

And the assertion that he claimed that he taught only in the Temple and synagogue is a lie.

Careful now. To show a lie you need to show intention to deceive. Taking Jesus at his word here, doesn't seem to be unreasonable. He did say after all that he, "always taught in a synagogue and in the temple where the Jews always gather," when in fact, that's not true.

#3 is irrational. Jesus did not claim he taught only in the Temple and synagogues as has been demonstrated.

Your #3 is the same as your #2.

#4 is both irrational and false. First, Jesus did not claim to only teach in the Temple and synagogues, and second, the assertion that he claimed he only taught and spoke in the Temple and synagogues is false.

I see your #4 is the same as your #2. Emphasis through repetition. Works in church! Not so good among freethinkers. Yes, we know you think that when Jesus said he "always" taught in these places that he didn't mean he "always" taught in these places. But that is exactly what he said. And his claim is literally false. Maybe we was being sloppy, like when he mistakenly didn't know that the mustard seed is not the "smallest of all seeds." (Matt. 13:32). Or when he mistakenly thought that his disciples wouldn't die before his second coming (Matt. 16:28). Or when he didn't know that salt doesn't "lose its savour" (Matt. 5:13). Or when he didn't know that hypocrisy is unbecoming when he said that whoever calls somebody a "fool" shall be in danger of hell fire (Matt. 5:22) but later went on to repeatedly called people "fools" (Matt. 23:17). These mistakes and errors are perfectly acceptable for a man but we should expect a higher standard when people later try to pass a person off as being God.

This is where I restate my five observations of Doug’s position…:

Dr. Doug has been quite busy lately but I had brunch with him this afternoon and when I told him you had pulled this one we had a good chuckle. You really don't want to spend much time on this one as it is a most elementary error and we see it a lot with real beginners (someone just pulled it on me the other day on NWAonline). One need not accept that these are historical persons or events in order to talk about these stories and the claims made in them. I told him the examples I gave you and he said he would probably would have asked you "if Sherlock Holmes was smart." Good question. I know you don't like questions but let's if you're up for it:

Was Sherlock Holmes smart?
And a follow up. Does Sherlock Holmes need to have existed and be "a real historical figure, and not a figment of imagination" in order that question to make sense and be answerable? Think about it.

...you have given me no reason to be impressed by scholarship, especially you Doug, as a doctoral candidate.

Your information, like your scholarship, is inaccurate and outdated.

This is not your forte.

And your apologetics are very introductory and transparent. But we do certainly appreciate the effort! Folks who will stand up and fight for these positions of yours are getting rare. And the thing is, when anyone tries to step up and defend the positions you are trying to defend, it really doesn't matter how "good" the apologist thinks they are. It doesn't even matter if they have a Ph.D. from an unaccredited evangelical diploma mill like you wish you had. Because when it comes time to step up and make your case, there is no thing better to have on your side, than the truth. If your God had wanted you to prevail in this exchanges, I think he should have thought to have provided you with that.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

SteveMc wrote:... the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament....

The student of Scripture who has been trained in exegesis and hermeneutics with an emphasis on lexical-syntactical analysis...
I keep seeing this latter combination of words and -- every time -- cannot help but be reminded of a discussion I had with a local preacher after a comment I made that included the Bible's reference to bats being birds. He made a big to-do about the original word "oph" not really meaning fowl as translated. He knew that he was right because the Bible clearly categorizes bats as something that can be described as an "oph," but as a bat is not a fowl, "oph" must mean "flying things." Also, his apologetics dictionary told him so.

I'm kind of surprised that more people don't see a problem with this whole schtick of using the Bible as an inerrant source of determining meanings of words in order to determine if what is in the Bible is true.

(I suppose that it's possible that the translators are wrong, and that "oph" really means "flying things" and not "fowl," but it's hardly any matter. It was one of a long list of blatantly wrong statements from the Bible, was the only one he could even argue about, and can easily be replaced by dozens more.)

Earlier, I wrote:Perhaps assumption and inference aren't really your forte;
SteveMc later wrote:This is not your forte.
You know, it's said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and this is at least the second time that something like this has happened. On the other hand, I've been bluntly honest and forthright... Where's that flattery?
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Savonarola wrote:
SteveMc wrote:... the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament....
.... The student of Scripture who has been trained in exegesis and hermeneutics with an emphasis on lexical-syntactical analysis...
SAV
I keep seeing this latter combination of words...
When Steve says these words to the pew warmers at his Baptist church (but he's not a Baptist), they no doubt fawn and swoon. Only a scholar could say something like that!

I think it would be useful to draw attention to another interesting parallel, or rather inconsistency on Steve's part. Observers may remember that it was only three weeks ago that Steve was making a fuss about Farrell Till's comment which I quoted:
TILL
“To the contrary, the expression ‘and, behold,’ kai idou, in Greek was used to introduce new events or material (usually startlingly new events or material), and invariably the new events happened after those in the verses preceding kai idou.
To which Steve responded:
But please note what Till asserts in his intro to their accurate statements, “…and invariably the new events happened after those in the verses preceding kai idou.” emphasis mine.
At your request Darrel we are seeking a high degree of precision in our communication so as to not mislead, or misinform. The definition of “invariably” according to Merriam-Webster is “: on every occasion : ALWAYS <invariably late>” emphasis theirs.
So, your assignment is to read the references in any English translation you prefer, and answer one simple question. Does Matthew use kai idou in such a manner that “…invariably the new events happened after those in the verses preceding kai idou.”
Steve never did get around to giving us an examples that contradicted this pattern in Matthew, but I am quite sure some exist since other material I posted mentioned that they do. Here is the interesting bit... Steve takes Farrell to task for using "invariably," which Steve says means "ALWAYS" (and it does), but when Jesus actually says "always" Steve is reduced to arguing that actually means "not always."
Oh, yes Darrel, always. You know, like "invariably", like you said about Till. Did you know the first synonym for invariable is always on Thesaurus.com. So I guess by your definition Till is a liar too?
Farrell wasn't necessarily lying, he could have made a mistake, or more likely, with this one word, was over stating his case (which would be lying). But then again, Farrell isn't supposed to be a sinless God. If Jesus had said the following he *could* have saved Steve all of this trouble:

"I [usually, regularly, mostly, often, constantly] taught in synagogues and in the temple..." But Jesus didn't say that. If he had, it would have been accurate. Jesus overstated his case and fudged it, just as regular people do when they argue for positions they hold strongly. Steve's problem is he needs to argue that Jesus said "always" but he didn't meant "not always." I on the other hand, can take Jesus at his word. We know what "always" means and we know Steve knows what it means because he has provided us the definition. It means invariably. Jesus shouldn't have said always, because it wasn't accurate and it wasn't true.

And as bad as this problem is, the "I have said nothing in secret" problem is going to be even worse. Unless Steve is going to argue that "said nothing" really means "said something" (which of course he is going to argue). Oh the burden inerrantists bear.

D.
------------------
"I take Him shopping with me.
I say: "Jesus! Help me find a bargain!"
--Tammy Faye Bakker
SteveMc

Post by SteveMc »

In addition to working on taxes, I have spent most of the evening going back over the first three pages of posts gleaning material for my study at Dallas Sem, so there is little time now to post.

One thing I will mention, since it involves a fairly serious statement by Darrel:
So again on this false accusation he is trying to duck out of:

You made the following charge: "You HAVE called me both a liar and intellectually dishonest."

Now either admit your claim is incorrect, or produce the citation/reference showing that I "HAVE" called you "a liar." Otherwise you voluntarily become that which you falsely claimed I called you. And with Jesus, Yahweh and Peter already in the frying pan on this lying issue, we don't need you in there too (we'll get to that admitted liar Paul in a bit).

I appreciate Sav's honest in claiming ownership of the direct statement. It had been quite a while since it was made and I was genuinely mistaken about who said it. But this comment by Darrel contributed to my belief that he had indeed been the one who called me a liar earlier:

This is not quite halfway down on page three in a section Darrel posted:
Excellent. The more the merrier. Teaching Christians about their Bible and modern scholarship is an important part of our mission. Too many pastors out there lying to their flocks. In fact, we have a former preacher speaking about this at our freethinker meeting this weekend. He's with the Clergy Project, helping unbelieving pastors (there are a lot of them) transition out of their life of promoting religion and superstition. The internet has really opened information up, and it is not going to be helpful to your faith based beliefs, in case you haven't noticed. Emphasis mine.

I am by Darrel's definitions and statement a "fundamentalist", "inerrantist", amongst other things, sharing those agendas and teaching the same things according to his declarations, which to a great degree is true, though not totally. Then as a pastor who teaches both youth and adult groups regularly, I find it pretty safe to say he is calling me a liar too. And this isn't even getting through the third page, so I don't know what else I will come across.

So while I apologize to Sav for not giving credit where credit is due, I fail to see where what I said could in any way be construed as a lie, especially by Darrel's own definition which involves intent to deceive.

Time for bed.

Steve
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

So did Steve retract his claim that I called him a liar? He tries to have it both ways. He says:
SteveMc wrote:It had been quite a while since it was made and I was genuinely mistaken about who said it.
But of course. Perfectly understandable.
But this comment by Darrel contributed to my belief that he had indeed been the one who called me a liar earlier:

Excellent. The more the merrier. Teaching Christians about their Bible and modern scholarship is an important part of our mission. Too many pastors out there lying to their flocks. In fact, we have a former preacher speaking about this at our freethinker meeting this weekend. He's with the Clergy Project, helping unbelieving pastors (there are a lot of them) transition out of their life of promoting religion and superstition. The internet has really opened information up, and it is not going to be helpful to your faith based beliefs, in case you haven't noticed. Emphasis mine.

I am by Darrel's definitions and statement a "fundamentalist", "inerrantist", amongst other things, sharing those agendas and teaching the same things according to his declarations, which to a great degree is true, though not totally.
I know lots of inerrantists. It doesn't follow that they are liars. Many of them are sincere. Many are intellectually dishonest. I didn't call you a liar, and I would never make the error of broadly and incorrectly generalizing all inerrantists as liars.

And then the apologetics (I use the word loosely here to mean excuses) kicks in:
Then as a pastor who teaches both youth and adult groups regularly, I find it pretty safe to say he is calling me a liar too.
Well, except for that fact, that I didn't call you a liar, too. In no way does it follow that a pastor teaching "youth and adult groups regularly" is necessarily a liar. Be honest and precise with language. Most of your problems stem from a very practiced study of elaborate methods of being slippery and self-serving with language. All for the cause of the Lord of course.
And this isn't even getting through the third page, so I don't know what else I will come across.
I'll tell you what won't "come across," in the record, me calling you a liar. The record is here for anyone to see.

D.
-------------------
The Sin of Silence
William Edelen

There is a sin among a large segment of the Christian clergy that I find despicable. It is the sin of omission, the sin of silence. It is the sin of promoting falsehoods in order to hold your job. It is the sin of not sharing with a congregation what you know to be true about the bible and Christianity.

Those graduating in religious studies from every major university in America, as well as every major theological seminary that is independent of Christian financial pressure, know certain facts to be true.
They know that:

1. The entire bible is saturated with common mythological themes, from the creation and flood myth to virgin birth and resurrected hero mythology.
2. The stories of the patriarchs in the Old Testament are known as 'temple legends' to enhance the history of the Hebrew people and are mostly fictional.
3. The gospels were not written by anyone who knew Jesus personally.
4. The 'Christ' myths and formulas are direct copies of Zoroastrian myths adopted by the Jesus sect.
5. These facts, with others, have been known for years, and taught by internationally respected scholars from major universities world wide.

Religiously educated clergy, through the sin of omission and silence, yet continue to promote superstition.

I lost count of the ministerial colleagues, in both the Presbyterian and Congregational churches, who said to me: "For God's sake, Edelen ... forget what you learned in seminary ... just play the game ... you get big churches that way."

A woman in my Idaho church met me in the parking lot one day and said: "I don't care what you learned in seminary. I give more money than anyone in this church and I want to hear about my sweet Jesus or I'm leaving this church." I said to her: "Well, good-bye", and with that, she slapped me so hard across the face you could hear it for a mile... in Christian 'love', no doubt.

The much-loved Senior Minister of the famed City Temple of London, Leslie Weatherhead, wrote: "Not for much longer will the world put up with the lies, distortions and superstitions about Jesus and the bible."

My friend, Dr. Gerald Larue, distinguished professor emeritus of Biblical Studies at the University of Southern California said this: "For clergy who do not know any better, it is simple gross ignorance. For clergy who do know better, it is a disgrace."

For those who know better and yet have chosen, through the sin of omission and silence, to promote falsehoods, I chose the word 'despicable' to define them.

I know of no more accurate word to define those who have been ordained to bring light ... to the human spirit ... to bring light to those "who would keep abreast of the truth."

--William Edelen. An active ordained Presbyterian and Congregational minister for 30 years.
Adjunct professor of Religious Studies and Anthropology, University of Puget Sound Tacoma, Washington

LINK
SteveMc

Post by SteveMc »

Once again:

But this comment by Darrel contributed to my belief that he had indeed been the one who called me a liar earlier:[/i]

"I am by Darrel's definitions and statement a "fundamentalist", "inerrantist", amongst other things, sharing those agendas and teaching the same things according to his declarations, which to a great degree is true, though not totally."

I know lots of inerrantists. It doesn't follow that they are liars. Many of them are sincere. Many are intellectually dishonest. I didn't call you a liar, and I would never make the error of broadly and incorrectly generalizing all inerrantists as liars. Emphasis mine.

How gracious of you that you "...would never make the error of broadly and incorrectly generalizing all inerrantists as liars..." since you would have a difficult time indeed proving that they were teaching what they were teaching with the intent to deceive as you have clearly defined liars.

Then you follow up with:
And then the apologetics (I use the word loosely here to mean excuses) kicks in: for which I stand in awe of your ability to propose a new application/definition of the term, since you will not find an equivalent form in ANY recognized dictionary or encyclopedia. But thank you for the explanation for clarity sake.

Then you quote me:
Then as a pastor who teaches both youth and adult groups regularly, I find it pretty safe to say he is calling me a liar too.

Allow me to explain to you what you seem to be unable to discern on your own, it isn't THAT I teach them, it's WHAT I teach them. But then, you really didn't need me to explain that did you, Darrel? You knew what I meant.

Well, except for that fact, that I didn't call you a liar, too. In no way does it follow that a pastor teaching "youth and adult groups regularly" is necessarily a liar. Be honest and precise with language. Most of your problems stem from a very practiced study of elaborate methods of being slippery and self-serving with language. All for the cause of the Lord of course. Emphasis mine

I concede, Darrel, I will not see the phrases, "You are a liar" or "Steve is a liar" anywhere in the posts. Why would I need to with statements like the following?

"Be honest..." is not an admonition to stop being dishonest? "Most of your problems stem from a very practiced study of elaborate methods of being slippery and self-serving with language. All for the cause of the Lord." Emphasis mine

What is that other than saying I am lying to people to deceive them for selfish purposes?

After which you quote me again:
And this isn't even getting through the third page, so I don't know what else I will come across.

And then you make this hysterically funny statement:
I'll tell you what won't "come across," in the record, me calling you a liar. The record is here for anyone to see.

I'll bet you were a knock out at that comedy roast. LOL.

With that note of levity I will close this post so I can get ready for work, and later begin working on my response to Edelen, Sheehan, and their scholarly cronies.

Steve
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Careful readers will notice that it's been ten days since Steven has referred to his Easter Problems. He also carefully avoids answering any questions directly. Even simple ones. I would never avoid answering his questions. What is he afraid of?

Steve, is Sherlock Holmes smart?
SteveMc wrote: How gracious of you that you "...would never make the error of broadly and incorrectly generalizing all inerrantists as liars..."
It is rather gracious, but I recognize the difference between sincere delusion and intent to deceive.
...you would have a difficult time indeed proving that they were teaching what they were teaching with the intent to deceive as you have clearly defined liars.
Of course, that's why I would never say it and in fact did not say it.
DAR
And then the apologetics (I use the word loosely here to mean excuses) kicks in:

STEVE
"...for which I stand in awe of your ability to propose a new application/definition of the term, since you will not find an equivalent form in ANY recognized dictionary or encyclopedia."
Surely you've noted the similarity between the word "apologize" and "apologetic?" And Christian apologists certainly have a lot to apologize for. Often times their apologetics come across as lame excuses. You know when a politician or famous person makes a big mistake and they have a public spokesperson come forward and speak for them? This person is acting as an "apologist." They appear to be peddling excuses, because they usually are. Since this is practically your main career, you should be familiar with what I am talking about. For instance, Jesus clearly said things that weren't true, and he knew they weren't true (thus lies), and since he can't be here to defend himself, you are busy being his apologist and making excuses for his behavior.
Here is what I have for at the intro of chapter six of my book: Apologetics Department:

apolo get ics: the branch of theology having to do with the defense and proofs of Christianity.
ex cuse: to try to free (a person) of blame; seek to exonerate 2. to try to minimize or pardon (a fault); apologize or give reasons for --Websters

New: "...it isn't THAT I teach them, it's WHAT I teach them."
Right. And while no doubt a great deal of what you teach them is demonstrably false, it doesn't make you a liar just because you are sincerely confused (probably) and work to fill their heads with nonsense and antique scholarship debunked before their great-great grandparents were born.
I concede, Darrel, I will not see the phrases, "You are a liar" or "Steve is a liar" anywhere in the posts.
Right. That's because I didn't call you a liar. Stop being slippery. Let your yes mean yes, and your "liar" mean "liar." You said, I "called you x." But I didn't "call you x." All of these attempts to show that I said something that you reinterpreted (incorrectly) to mean "x," fall short.
DAR
"Most of your problems stem from a very practiced study of elaborate methods of being slippery and self-serving with language.
STEVE: What is that other than saying I am lying to people to deceive them for selfish purposes?
You can be (and in fact are) slippery and self-serving in your elaborate and practiced study of apologetics. Being largely unaware of what you are doing (probably), it doesn't follow that you are lying to them. I use the primary definition and this means that lie includes intent to deceive. That's why I knew your claim was wrong from the beginning (lots of people make this mistake, most know better than to make a big deal out of it).
I'll bet you were a knock out at that comedy roast.
Slayed them.
I will... later begin working on my response to Edelen, Sheehan, and their scholarly cronies.
Careful readers will notice that Steve will hop down any rabbit trail available in order to avoid dealing with any of the 16 Easter problems he has identified and has before him. He also seems to want to now duck the most difficult part of this example of Jesus lying, that is, when he said: "in secret I have said nothing." That's okay (bear with us as we broaden the scope of this thread SAV). There are lots of Bible topics Steve needs to learn to be more skeptical about.

It would be nice if he could stop ducking points and rise to responding and interacting with stimulus by way of direct questions. That really shouldn't be too much to ask. Is Sherlock Holmes smart Steve?

D.
----------------
Bonus... When I said: "the apologetics (I use the word loosely here to mean excuses) kicks in:..."
Steve responded: "I stand in awe of your ability to propose a new application/definition of the term, since you will not find an equivalent form in ANY recognized dictionary or encyclopedia."

It's interesting to note that at dictionary.com, in the eight sentences they use to provide a sample context for the word "apologist," about six of them are negative and show that common/modern usage of the word finds it quite compatible with something like "shill" or with regard to someone who is being slippery with language for a cause:

He is no apologist for history, but he knows that there is more contained in the present than meets the eye.
The rest of your apologist rant is not even worth replying to.
Apologist reports in state media are adding insult to injury.
Please remove this buffoon and his apologist arguments from your writing staff immediately.
Leonhardt's failure to mention it here, only reinforces the perception that he is an apologist as well for this group as well.
He was no longer either a southern apologist or a complainer.

LINK