The debate will be held at

Garrison Lecture Hall
Henderson University
1045 McKnight Dr.
Arkadelphia, Ar

7:00 pm
Thursday, February 23

The debate is entitled "Does Ethics Require God?"

Depending on which road you take, I think it is about the distance of Little Rock. Doug and I at least are thinking of going. Anyone else interested? I would have at least to more seats available in my truck. Barker, although not a philosopher, has debated this many times and no doubt will do a very good job against this minister.

D.
-----------------------------
“Regardless, I think it is pretty easy to justify a moral/ethical principle. If
morality is the minimizing of harm, then an action (or intent) or principle can be justified by showing how it in fact lessens harm. Given a choice, then on balance, less harm = justified; more harm = not justified.” -–Dan Barker
Last edited by Dardedar on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Announcement: Dan Barker to Debate Ethics at Arkansas ch

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:The debate is entitled "Does Ethics Require God?"

Depending on which road you take, I think it is about the distance of Little Rock. Doug and I at least are thinking of going. Anyone else interested? I would have at least to more seats available in my truck. Barker, although not a philosopher, has debated this many times and no doubt will do a very good job against this minister.
DOUG
I just corresponded with Dan Barker. He has asked whether one of us could staff a table with his books at the event. He invited me to add my book too, and I suppose we can add Darrel's and perhaps other material.

Sometimes at these events some of the most entertaining debate takes place in the "post roast" period, from the end of the debate until the fundies run away. If you haven't been to one of these, I encourage readers to consider going even though it's on a Thursday night.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

So let's get this straight:

Feb 23: Debate in Arkadelphia
Feb 24: Live Call-in CAT Show
Feb 25: Fayfreethinkers Meeting
Feb 25 evening: Freethinker Party

Do you have any irons left, or are they all in the fire at this point?
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Darrell,

What channel is the call in show on Friday on? My wife and I plan to come down on Friday night and watch the show in a motel Friday night. So we have to make sure we get a motel that has the correct channel.
JamesH
"Knowledge will set you free, but freedom comes with responsibilities." I know that someone had to say that before me.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

JamesH wrote:Darrell,

What channel is the call in show on Friday on? My wife and I plan to come down on Friday night and watch the show in a motel Friday night.
DAR
It's channel 18. You could come on down to the station and hang out a bit. Also, you could watch from just off stage a little, or you can watch in the front lobby. But the motel might be more fun than that.

D.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Most motels I've been to have special channel packages. I have no idea if local motels carry CAT, nor if it's channel 18 to them.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Going to the station might be fun. I don't think I have ever seen a tv show produced. I will ask my wife if she would like to do that. I am sure she would but I will have to ask first.
JamesH
"Knowledge will set you free, but freedom comes with responsibilities." I know that someone had to say that before me.