Freethinker Poem Request

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Freethinker Poem Request

Post by Dardedar »

I was chatting with an old high school friend in Canada who is a poet. I sent her the following note and thought I might post it here in case we have any poets in the house.

I was thinking of commissioning a poem from you.

It's rather bizarre. We have a friend in our group that is very fond of a phrase from Martin Luther (the Lutheran fellow). It's:

Die verfluchte Hure, Vernunft

and it means:

"That damned whore reason"

Anyway, it is sort of the epitome of religious contempt for reason (Luther had a bunch of other similar quotes). Back then they much more open and honest about it. Well us freethinkers are just crazy about that "damn whore reason" and I was thinking of making a tee shirt with a real hot girl on it, and that quote, and a short poem about how we love her so.

If you have a vision or the slightest interest, let me know.

A working title might be something like: "That Damned Whore Reason, how we love her so"

Extra points if it has "Die verfluchte Hure, Vernunft" in there some where.

D.
-----------------
Bonus Luther quotes:

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians." --Martin Luther

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight, and wish to know nothing but the word of God."
-- Martin Luther quoted in Walter Kaufmann's Critique of Religion and Philosophy

"Whoever wishes to be a Christian, let him pluck out the eyes of his reason."
--Martin Luther (First Psalm Lectures, Luther's Works, Vol. 11, p.285)

"Whoever wants to be a Christian must be intent on silencing the voice of reason."
--Martin Luther (Sermons on the Gospel of St. John, Luther's Works, V.23, p. 99)

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not --struggles against the Divine Word...." --Martin Luther

"The damned whore Reason..." --Martin Luther

"Reason is the Devil's greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil's appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets."
-- From Martin Luther, Erlangen Edition v. 16
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer