Student at Uark; fundalmentalist raising.

that guy
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Student at Uark; fundalmentalist raising.

Post by that guy »

Hey everyone. I'm a freshman at the University of Arkansas. I just moved up here from a tiny town about 2 1/2 hours south of here the week before last. I'm liking college a lot so far.

From what I understand, this group meets the last Saturday of every month at 2 PM in the Fayetteville Public Library. I look forward to attending the meeting next month.

Ok, now to the good stuff:
You see, I was raised my whole life in church. My dad is a preacher of a small church. My mom teaches Sunday School and ministers to young troubled girls at the local detention center. My uncle is an evangelist. Him and my dad have been to Africa several times on mission trips. My younger sister (16) has recently began to speak at youth meetings. My dad, along with other church members, believes that the Earth was literally created in six days, 6000 years ago. They also believe that the end of the world is near, with the second coming of the Christ approaching. To my dad, leaving Christianity is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Well, a few years ago, I began to examine my own beliefs. The problems with the Bible itself had a major part in destroying my faith. I read it. I found contradictions, errors, disturbing violence condoned by God, and all manor of nonsense. I started with the presumption that the Bible was the true word of God. After examining my beliefs, I discovered that I had been wrong. It took me a long time to admit this to myself.

Eventually, I could no longer honestly call myself a Christian. In fact, I realized that the God concept did nothing to explain reality. So, I am no longer a theist at all. I have not disclosed this to my family yet, for fear of disownment, hatred, or however they might react.

I have, however, told my friends back home, as well as my roommate here (No one I know back home came here). I've never really had the opportunity to discuss topics I'm interested in in great detail, at least in person. I think the freethinker meeting next month will be enjoyable.

Can anyone tell me approximately how many people attend such meetings, and what age groups?

I've also looked online. On the Uark website, the Atheist and Agnostic Society is listed as a registered club, but the website gives no information on how to contact them.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Student at Uark; fundalmentalist raising.

Post by Dardedar »

Hello That Guy. You situation is similar to my own except my parents were JW's. I wrote a book about errors in the Bible and you can check out a good sized sample of it here:

http://fayfreethinkers.com/ourbooks/mirrorsample.shtml

(I am not trying to sell you a book, I don't even have copies right now)
Can anyone tell me approximately how many people attend such meetings, and what age groups?
DAR
We had 72 at our meeting last Saturday but average is more like 40-50. You can read about our past meetings for the past several years by snooping around this forum in Fayfreethinker News.

I didn't know about an "Atheist and Agnostic Society" at the U of A. There is a freethinker group called Occam Razors but I don't know that they have any activities going on right now. Send a request to fayfreethinkers@yahoo.com to get on our email list and receive notices about our meetings. Our main website is here if you haven't seen it already.

Darrel
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

My advice, regarding family issues (which you didn't ask for and are in no way obligated to accept), is don't fight any unnecessary battles until such time as you are completely self reliant. Also, such unnecessary mental strain can prove detrimental to your studies. I'm not advocating lying to your folks, however your "spiritual path" or lack there of is no ones business but your own. And if you have reason to believe that being candid regarding your beliefs will create a shit storm, well, fight that battle when you are on firm footing.

Look forward to meeting you next time. Be sure to introduce yourself and you should try to go out and eat with us afterwords--we have quite a blast with good food and great company. I don't know of anything going on campus. I am a graduate student up there but I haven't heard of anything...shame.... At any rate, welcome to Fayetteville!
Hydro

Post by Hydro »

I attended the meeting this last week for the first time...and I actually was surprised at the age distribution of the meeting...quite a few women, lots of middle aged folks...sometimes these things tend to be dominated by college age to 40 year ish old males.

Group seems to have a nice mix and variation of people, young and old, male and female.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

Looks like our 163 Fayetteville Freethinker friends on facebook are split down the middle, have male, half female.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Hydro wrote:Group seems to have a nice mix and variation of people, young and old, male and female.
As opposed to the "young white male" schtick that Worden tried to superimpose upon us.
Hydro

Post by Hydro »

Savonarola wrote:
Hydro wrote:Group seems to have a nice mix and variation of people, young and old, male and female.
As opposed to the "young white male" schtick that Worden tried to superimpose upon us.
indeed

I've been to a few different freethinker clubs where the "young white male" brand fit it quite well though....including the last one I attended

So is this Worden ever going to come down to a meeting? I'd definitely pay admission to see that
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Hydro wrote:
Savonarola wrote:
indeed

I've been to a few different freethinker clubs where the "young white male" brand fit it quite well though....including the last one I attended

So is this Worden ever going to come down to a meeting? I'd definitely pay admission to see that

...right....Is Kent Hovind ever going to voluntarily pay his taxes?
djark

Post by djark »

Student at UARK, I just spent 30 minutes carefully composing a reply to your post. Unfortunately, the forum would not allow me to post it.

You will find others in the group who have a similar background to yours. I know I do! I hope you will begin attending meetings and networking with others of like mind. I think the advice to concentrate on your studies for now is a very wise one. I think the less you say to your family at this point, the happier you will be. Just be their loving son and realize they are a product of their own generation and environment.

I would like to tell you more about my story, but right now I am not even sure if I can post since I have only been a member here for two days myself.
Hydro

Post by Hydro »

kwlyon wrote: ...right....Is Kent Hovind ever going to voluntarily pay his taxes?
Ironically, I'm a fan of Hovind.

I might not have slipped the grip of religion had it not been for his videos
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Hydro wrote:
kwlyon wrote: ...right....Is Kent Hovind ever going to voluntarily pay his taxes?
Ironically, I'm a fan of Hovind.

I might not have slipped the grip of religion had it not been for his videos
I don't know what you mean by "ironically"...I am a HUGE hovind fan! Although I must say I feel a ting of guilt having a laugh at his expense...the man is stone cold crazy...and I very much pity him...but he is just SO DAMN HILARIOUS!