Waiting for Armageddon

Kyrios
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Waiting for Armageddon

Post by Kyrios »

Wikipedia wrote:Waiting for Armageddon is a documentary that studies Armageddon theology and Christian eschatology. Some evangelicals in the United States believes that bible prophecy predicts events including the Rapture and the Battle of Armageddon. The documentary raises questions regarding how this theology shapes United States and Middle East relations and how it may encourage an international holy war.
The Bible's blind, the Torah's deaf, the Qur'an is mute. If you burned them all together, you'd be close to the truth.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Waiting for Armageddon

Post by Dardedar »

This stuff is so dumb. And this is what I grew up with. Four generations of this crap on my mom's side.
Kyrios

Post by Kyrios »

Ugh, I know. And watching the young women who are saying they don't think they'll be able to get jobs or start a family because it's going to happen really, really soon is just sad.
The Bible's blind, the Torah's deaf, the Qur'an is mute. If you burned them all together, you'd be close to the truth.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Yeah, I have many relatives who have lived their entire lives with The End, "just around the corner." My mom dropped out of school after the eighth grade ("you don't really learn anything after that" so said her granny) to full time pioneer. That means, a hundred hours a month of going door to door to tell everyone "the end is near." In the 1940's the Jehovah's Witnesses came out with a book called "Children" which advised against having them because the end is so near and they should devote all of their efforts to the ministy. Many people found themselves elderly and childless because of this.

My mom would like to learn to play the piano but is putting it off until after Armageddon when she'll have a lot more time. I hate these fucking cults.

Here are the type of pictures, depicting Armageddon, I had forced upon me as a child:

Here are Jehovah's people leaving the mess as Jehovah kicks everyone else's ass.

More horseshit:

The answer to that one (1980) was yes.

Another:

Another doosey:

Check this quote out:
"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things… .all evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years… as a young person you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.

If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone"!
-- Awake, 5/22/1969, pg15
And then there's the problem of the bodies. This guy addresses that, with the JW answer:

The “Watchtower” of February 15th, 2001, p 16, Happy Jehovah’s Witnesses, survivors of Armageddon!

AFTER ARMAGEDDON
So, let’s say that Armageddon is over. Have all our problems finished? Not, at all. It’s now that they start. And the first and biggest problem is that of the corpses. As we all know every war has its victims. Especially during such a war which covers the whole Earth. So, there will be billions of dead bodies. What is going to happen? Jehovah’s Witnesses who have survived are not enough to bury them all. So, they run the risk of disease spread. An immediate solution must be found. And it is found indeed. You wonder what it is; but, ‘Deus ex machina’, of course.

According to the “Watchtower” of June 1st, 1973, pp 345-346, God will use…highly scientific means he has at his disposal, to clean the earth from the corpses! And we thought we had heard it all! But we had never heard of a Scientist God before.
“But the animals could never dispose of all those slain at Har–Magedon. Hence, the Almighty God will doubtless use some highly scientific means at his disposal to get rid of the surplus of the decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way.”
I guess that's enough Armageddon for this evening.

D.
Kyrios

Post by Kyrios »

That line about being encouraged to not have children reminds me of the Catharism of the 11-13th centuries. They did not participate in procreation, as that would needlessly bring souls into the sin of flesh.

All in all, informative, but still depressing. Thanks for the information!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:Many people found themselves elderly and childless because of this.
"… as a young person you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.
DOUG
OK, so they ended up with many, many people old, childless, with no careers to look back on, and no meaningful education.

What a horrible thing to do to people. That is an evil system of thought.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."