Recommended Reading-A little brain food!

JamesH
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Recommended Reading-A little brain food!

Post by JamesH »

Greetings,

I began this year with a goal to educate myself more on religion. I mentioned this to Darrel or Doug and found out that each of them had written a books. I have read Doug's book once and I am working my way through it a second time within the last 2 months. Darrel's book I started and then my wife took off with it and I have not seen it since.

"What is Atheism, A Short Introduction" is an excellent book. I was actually on a trip working and at the end of each day I looked forward to get back to my hotel to read. But for me his book cleared up and made me understand what I already knew and put it in a nice logical order. By reading some of my post you will see that I may not be the most articulate person that ever walked the earth but I do understand most things that are presented to me.

I have been a full blown atheist for several years now and even before I declared myself an atheist I knew it was all a bunch of bull full of condridictions. But what I found over the years that when I would descuss my atheism with religionist I always felt that I was struggling with explaining why I was an atheist. All of the ideas tha Doug presented in his book are ideas that I have thought of in the past but I was unable to articulate those thoughts very well. His "eight questions" about the existance of god is well thought out with examples and quotes from the bible.

Doug, thanks for a great book and I would recommend this book to anyone as a good starting point on atheism. Sorry that the book review is not very articulate but that is why I work on machines and not write for a living.

James

Is there a spell check some place I can use on my post?[/u]
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Re: Recommended Reading-A little brain food!

Post by Savonarola »

JamesH wrote:Is there a spell check some place I can use on my post?
Sorry, we do not have an integrated spell checker. However, a google search turned up this website, which may suit your needs. Alternatively, you could use MS Word or OpenOffice (a free MS Office clone) if you have either of them installed on your computer.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Recommended Reading-A little brain food!

Post by Dardedar »

JamesH wrote:
Doug, thanks for a great book and I would recommend this book to anyone as a good starting point on atheism. [/u]
DAR
Thanks for the comments James. It can be interesting to read the reviews (and debates) for Doug's book on amazon.com here

D.

ps my first short link!
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

cool, thanks - as soon as my credit card payment clears, I'm going to buy one - and it sounds like something I could give to those who could use some information on the subject, so I might get a few more, too...