Cardboard signs don't come with spell checker.

RobertMadewell
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Cardboard signs don't come with spell checker.

Post by RobertMadewell »

I know that I have mentioned the fundie lady that tapes the ugly cardboard signs to stop signs in Harrison. This one was put up a couple of weeks ago. As a matter of fact, it was put up March 31, just before we went to Fayetteville for the meeting. The lady that put it up was driving a beat up old van that had "Harvest time ministries" painted on the side. Anyhoos, just today I noticed something funny about the sign. I've been driving past it for 2 weeks and finally noticed. I got a picture of it. Look closely.

Hey, I got the big version of this picture and a few other pictures of this sign (I took 7). I'll let anyone who wants it have one. I can bring them to the next meeting on USB drive. Feel free to copy this 320x240 version as well.

This picture is a photograph taken by me. As such it is my own work and belongs to me. I hereby release it to the public domain.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
You should send the pic, along with this explanation to Freethought Today (ffrf.org). They'll probably put it in their paper.

Good one!
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

Good idea Darrel, I'm going to check it out.

I've been sitting here having a little fun with it. Look at this.

Here's the message at original resolution cropped to 320x240.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Maybe she was trying to imply that only her ministry saves and left out an apostrophe - Jus' Us Saves. Or maybe just the United States saves - Jus' U.S. Saves. Or even Justice (mispelled) Saves - that's not bad considering the recent 5-4 SCOTUS decision that yes, habeas corpus applies to anybody picked up by Americans anyplace for any reason.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Maybe the lady is just not into detail. A person not used to paying attention to accuracy. No, that too charitable. Maybe she is just really stupid.

The sign is a classic. She better watch it. God's aren't impressed when their followers can't show the respect of even spelling their name right.
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

I pronouce it "JOO-sus".

Darrel, if she had misspelled any other word, it wouldn't have been funny and I wouldn't have bothered getting my digital camera out and putting batteries in it. I wouldn't have made fun of someone for saying "Jesus seves." I make similar mistakes all the time. I'm sure there is a misspelled word somewhere in this post. However, I do make an effort to get someones name right. I even looked to make sure I got your name right. It's a courtesy. Keeping that in mind, what does that say about someone who doesn't check to see if Jesus is spelled right? Is she not being courtious to Jesus? Maybe she was just in a hurry.

The woman doing this doubtless considers it a ministry. Keeping that in mind, I would ask her if anyone has converted after viewing the signs. I would also ask her if she thought that tape hanging off of a post, after the wind blew the cardboard flap off, was pretty. This sign is 2 blocks from my house. My neighborhood. The message on the sign is moot. They are freaking ugly and I really don't want them in my neighborhood. If she wishes to spread the gospel, maybe she can rent a billboard somewhere and get a professional to paint it.

There are at least 4 other signs in town with similar messages. One says "Jesus or Hell?" At least Jesus wasn't misspelled in that one.

Despite the fact that the signs are butt ugly, I'm not going to do anything about it for now. I'd like to see how far she'll take it. I'm curious if she'll get bold enough to say something like "Fags will burn in hell!" or something fred-phelpsish. If so, I'll put more batteries in my camera and take a walk.

There's got to be a special place in hell for someone who misspells the name of her lord and saviour.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Rest assured that 95% of people who see something like this are embarrassed by her actions.

Gawd, I hope they are.

I think it is hard for people, perhaps especially freethinkers with no fundie background, to grasp how fanatical some of these people are. These people are actually the consistent ones. They follow through on their beliefs rather than go to church on the weekends and don't do anything.

If I really believed that Jesus was coming and that everyone had to be "saved" (whatever that means) or else burn forever in hell... if you really really believe that, the compassionate thing to do is not be complacent but rather tape signs where ever you can, do whatever you have to do, to let people know of the impending doom.

It seems it is the really dumb ones who can consistently muster the necessary amount of faith to get to this position of fanaticism where they "really really" believe. But at least they are consistent. They are not hypocrites.

D.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:A person not used to paying attention to accuracy.
Or reality, apparently.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Robert said: There's got to be a special place in hell for someone who misspells the name of her lord and saviour.

**** perhaps she'll have to sit in the corner?
LaWood

Post by LaWood »

I pronouce it "JOO-sus".
JOO-sus

Joo-joo

Ju-boy
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

now THAT's funny, I don't care who you are. good one, lawood.
RobertMadewell

Post by RobertMadewell »

My picture has been posted on one of my favorite blogs.