Religious News/Quotes of the Day

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

"I tell you there is something splendid in a man that will not always mind. Why, if we had done as kings told us five hundred years ago we would all have been slaves. If we had done as the priests told us we would all have been idiots. If we had done as the doctors told us we would have been dead. We have been saved by disobedience. We are saved by that splendid thing called independence, and I want to see more of it day after day, and I want to see children raised so they will have it. That is my doctrine. Give the children a chance. Be perfectly honor bright with them and they will be your friends when you are old."
--Robert Ingersoll, LINK
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Sex in Christ

Anal Sex in Accordance with God's Will

Rather explicit but quite scriptural.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:Sex in Christ

Anal Sex in Accordance with God's Will

Rather explicit but quite scriptural.
DOUG
Some people are opposed to anal sex, depending on how they were reared.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Fun little online atheist poll to crash.

Right now the score is: 73% don't believe in God.

I bet they didn't expect that.
rubbar

Post by rubbar »

"Evidence, Evidence, BAH! Everyone knows that god planted dinosaur bones in an attempt to grow dinosaurs!" -- Link McMissuns

It's from the Adult Swim show Moral Orel, Season 2.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"The words Christianity and God are not found anywhere in the constitution. Jefferson and other founding fathers thought Christianity was medieval crap.

America was founded on the principle that government and religious stupidity must always be kept completely separate." --Bob P.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Re: Religious Quotes of the Day

Post by Dardedar »

Not from the Onion! Legitimate news:

Ohio church: No kissing, tickling allowed

CINCINNATI - The Archdiocese of Cincinnati has issued a detailed list of inappropriate behaviors for priests, saying they should not kiss, tickle or wrestle children.

The newest version of the archdiocese's Decree on Child Protection also prohibits bear hugs, lap-sitting and piggyback rides.

But it says priests may still shake children's hands, pat them on the back and give high-fives.

LINK
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Psst! Sex is not on that prohibited list. Did you notice?"
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Doug

Post by Doug »

DOUG
Perhaps a poor design?

"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Emanuel Goldstein

Post by Emanuel Goldstein »

Lets not forget one of the best atheist quotes of all time, by one of the most famous atheists of the past three centuries...

"Elimination of the weak and defective, the first principle of our philosophy. And we should help them to do it!"

Friedrich Nietzsche, The AntiChrist, sec. 2

Of course, we now know his reasoning was addled by untreated syphillitic paresis a decade before he finally spritzed out, but what the heck? Atheists still love him!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Emanuel Goldstein wrote:Lets not forget one of the best atheist quotes of all time, by one of the most famous atheists of the past three centuries...

"Elimination of the weak and defective, the first principle of our philosophy. And we should help them to do it!"

Friedrich Nietzsche, The AntiChrist, sec. 2

Of course, we now know his reasoning was addled by untreated syphillitic paresis a decade before he finally spritzed out, but what the heck? Atheists still love him!
DOUG
Nietzsche is good for soundbites, and a lot of atheists like his writing, but I don't know of any atheists that would agree that we should "eliminate the weak and defective."

Unlike religions, atheists don't have holy writ. If someone writes a book, you can agree with part of it and disagree with part of it and it's OK.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Doug wrote: DOUG
Nietzsche is good for soundbites, and a lot of atheists like his writing, but I don't know of any atheists that would agree that we should "eliminate the weak and defective."
DAR
Hitler was into that sort of thing, but he usually credited his God, the God of the Christian Bible, as his inspiration for his actions in this regard:

"...I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord.: --Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

"Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews.... The work that Christ started but could not finish, I -- Adolf Hitler -- will conclude." --Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

And Hitler certainly found basis in the Bible for punishing and eliminating the "weak and defective" (however defined). After all it was one of Yahweh's favorite pastimes. Curious how it needed to be enforced by his earthly agents. Agents who also happened to write the book they referred to as Holy Writ. Examples provided upon request.

D.
----------------------------
Nietzsche said some dumb nasty stuff but lets not let that detract from when he gets it right:

"The adoption of guiding principles without reasons is called faith." --Nietzsche

"You who hate the Jews so, why did you adopt their religion?" --Nietzsche
tmiller51

Post by tmiller51 »

If we listen to John McCain's buddy Rev. Hagee, maybe we can't really blame Hitler but instead god himself:
John Hagee, the controversial evangelical leader and endorser of Sen. John McCain, argued in a late 1990s sermon that the Nazis had operated on God's behalf to chase the Jews from Europe and shepherd them to Palestine. According to the Reverend, Adolph Hitler was a "hunter," sent by God, who was tasked with expediting God's will of having the Jews re-establish a state of Israel.

Going in and out of biblical verse, Hagee preached: "'And they the hunters should hunt them,' that will be the Jews. 'From every mountain and from every hill and from out of the holes of the rocks.' If that doesn't describe what Hitler did in the holocaust you can't see that."

He goes on: "Theodore Herzl is the father of Zionism. He was a Jew who at the turn of the 19th century said, this land is our land, God wants us to live there. So he went to the Jews of Europe and said 'I want you to come and join me in the land of Israel.' So few went that Hertzel went into depression. Those who came founded Israel; those who did not went through the hell of the holocaust.
Full Article

Tim
Dardedar
Site Admin

Re: Religious News/Quotes of the Day

Post by Dardedar »

New contestant, same game show
by Gene Lyons

Excerpt:

Does Palin think of the war as 'a task that is from God'? As she put it, "That’s what we have to make sure
that we’re praying for - that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan." That this happens to be precisely
what Osama bin Laden tells his own deluded followers. Except to notice, as Middle Eastern scholar Juan Cole
points out in Salon, that theocrats commonly 'confuse God’s will with their own mortal policies.'

Citing chapter and verse on a broad range of social issues, he asks, "What is the difference between Palin
and a Muslim fundamentalist ? Lipstick." But hasn’t Alaska’s one-time 'Miss Congeniality' a right to believe
anything she likes ? Absolutely. But the rest of us are not compelled to take her views on Biblical 'prophecy'
more seriously than rival forms of soothsaying, such as Tarot card reading, crystal ball gazing, or examining
the entrails of sheep. Persons who practice such rites, whether in the wholesome suburban confines of the
Wasilla Bible Church or a cavern in the tribal areas of Pakistan are either frauds, fools or both.

It’s time the rest of us quit being polite about it.

Link

L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution

The Church of England is to apologise to Charles Darwin for its initial rejection of his theories, nearly 150 years after he published his most famous work.

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:06AM BST 14 Sep 2008

The Church of England will concede in a statement that it was over-defensive and over-emotional in dismissing Darwin's ideas. It will call "anti-evolutionary fervour" an "indictment" on the Church".

The bold move is certain to dismay sections of the Church that believe in creationism and regard Darwin's views as directly opposed to traditional Christian teaching.

The apology, which has been written by the Rev Dr Malcolm Brown, the Church's director of mission and public affairs, says that Christians, in their response to Darwin's theory of natural selection, repeated the mistakes they made in doubting Galileo's astronomy in the 17th century.

"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England...
DAR
WOW.
L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

Thought you would appreciate that DAR, I thought about giving it a single thread but there's too many already

"theocrats commonly 'confuse God’s will with their own mortal policies.'
....the 3 qualities Seneca posited about religion:

Believers find it true

Wise find it False

Politicians find it Useful

"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
rubbar

Post by rubbar »

"Darwinism is an evil, RACIST theory" - Moses

He tends to stress the word racist. It's beyond me how this is, and he refuses to explain it.
Doug

Post by Doug »

"More people get stoned in the Old Testament than in my jacuzzi."
--Bill Maher, Real Time on HBO, 10/3/08.