February 2013 Freethinker Meeting

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

February 2013 Freethinker Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

Time for our February Fayetteville Freethinker meeting! We have a LOT of good stuff for you this month. The month is short but our agenda is not!

U. of A. physics grad student Kevin L. will give us the science behind fly-by asteroids and those pesky meteors that disturb nice Russians
in the middle of the day. Did we miss Armageddon by just a whisker? How big are those things? What are they made of? Say, how fast are
they going, anyway? And how are they different from comets?

Doug Krueger will critique the argument for God's existence that relies on the intuition that you can't get something from nothing. Everything has
to come from somewhere, right? So the universe had to come from somewhere--namely from God! Hmm. Doug has a few things to say
about this. (Plus, he's going to wear one of his kilts again...)

Darrel will continue his new "Let's Hear It for the Optimists!" segment. Others claim to give you good news. Come hear the REAL good news!
Being a freethinker is a daily joy. Get your optimism fix!

Our agenda has been too full lately to show some of our best freethinker clips and cartoons, so we'll share some we have been holding back.

Also, we've had some excellent feedback with ideas about a new meeting format and events that you may want to get involved with.

We'll have our new freethinker library on hand, check it out. Thanks to our freethinker librarian Cat for taking this on. Remember, this is separate
from the books that belong to the public library. This is our own collection. Care to make a contribution? Talk to Cat!

All this, plus: hobnob with fellow freethinkers. Eat a meal with us afterwards. Become a better person. Advance civilization. All in one afternoon!

Meeting Details:

When: Saturday, February 23, 2013.

Where: The Fayetteville Public Library. 401 W. Mountain
St. (two blocks west of the town square). Library phone: 571-2222.

Time: 2:00 - 4:30 pm (with intermission)

Room: The Walker Room, the main meeting room. Go in the front door, through the
lobby and to your right. You can bring a snack or coffee from Arsaga's in the library lobby.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/b3sfgf

PS. We try to send notices out as soon as we have established our secular meeting agenda but some would like to have more notice. For those who plan ahead,
here are the meeting dates we have planned, at the Fayetteville Library, for the rest of the year (if this changes, we'll let you know):

Feb 23
Mar 30
April 27
May 25
June (library not available, new arrangements not made yet)
July no meeting
August 17
Sept 28
Oct 26
Nov 30
Dec no meeting (date of solstice dinner not yet determined)
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer