November 2012 Freethinker Meeting

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

November 2012 Freethinker Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

Hello Freethinkers, it's time to gather for our last Fayetteville Freethinker meeting of 2012.

We've got lot's going on, so listen up!

Next week, on Thursday 29th, Doug and Darrel will be helping the University freethought group Occam's Razor's with
another annual Freethinker Bible Study. It will be held at Kimpel 105, University of Arkansas, from 6:00 - 8:00pm. Details here.

Also, a reminder that we will be having our Freethinker Solstice dinner on December 21st at Powerhouse Seafood.
Not only is this on the very day of Solstice, but we've also learned that this is the great and feared day (by some) that the
Maya calendar will turn a page and may in fact trigger The End. So this really could be a "Last Supper" of sorts. You don't want to miss that.

What's on the agenda for our meeting this Saturday:

First, congratulations to our friend Felix who has just earned his PhD in Space and Planetary Sciences. His studies have concentrated
on the surface liquids on Saturn's moon Titan using laboratory experimentation along with observations from the Cassini spacecraft.
He will be giving us a presentation entitled "Cassini-Huygens Mission to Saturn."

Doug will give a presentation regarding the evidence of whether Jesus necessarily existed. Even if the Jesus of the Gospels is exaggerated,
was there someone named Jesus who inspired apostles and preached in Galilee? Doug will talk about the Mythicist Jesus view, which
answers the above questions "No." What is the case against a living, breathing Nazarene named Jesus? Come find out in time for Christmas
so you can be the Grinch at your family's next Xmas party!

Mary will give us a report on the Skepticon convention.

AJ will introduce us to his new bride!

Also, we've been remiss in passing along links to all of the videos played at some recent meetings (if you want them fresh, you've got to attend).
So, here is everything going back to May:

Our May meeting video clips are posted here, June clips are here, August clips are here, September clips are here, and October clips are here.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and be thankful for our local freethinker friends and family!

Meeting Details:

When: Saturday, November 24, 2012.

Where: The Fayetteville Public Library. 401 W. Mountain
St. (two blocks west of the town square). Library phone: 571-2222.

Time: 2:00 - 4:30 pm

Room: The Walker Room, the main meeting room. Go in the front door, through the
lobby and to your right. You can bring a snack or coffee from Arsaga's in the library lobby.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/b3sfgf
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer