Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Creationist Forums and Presentations

Post by Doug »

An announcement at my college:
SCIENCE AND RELIGION FORUM
Featuring: Scientists and Science Educators
Thursday, April 12th, 7-9 PM
Everyone is Welcome – No Cost
Room 108A/B in the Student Center -- Bring your questions to the EXPERTS.

This is NOT the same event as the Casey Luskin creationism thing next week.

This event is sponsored by the Baptist Collegiate Ministry. However, they won't tell me who is on the panel. One e-mail from one organizer, regarding my request for more info, said that there will be "nationally recognized" experts. One person drawing advertising with chalk on the sidewalk said they will have a microbiologist. That's probably Pat Briney.

They said they will answer questions, but via e-mail they told me that all questions must be submitted in advance. I am going to ignore that since it makes no sense. How can I know what to ask about if I haven't even heard what the panel is going to say?

They did say that Noah's Ark might be one of the topics. I'm going. Join me so freethinkers have a large presence!

I was also told that there will be tons of junk food.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Doug

Re: Creationist Forums and Presentations

Post by Doug »

DOUG writes:
Attended. First, they were SELLING the snacks, which was something I was not told ahead of time.

Yes, Pat Briney was on the panel. He did his usual polo halo misinformation song and dance, even though he's been corrected on this in the past. This is his supposed ace-in-the-hole for a young earth.
But see it roasted here in a couple of articles: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/po-halos/

They also addressed the tenability of Noah putting two of every "kind" in the ark. Shows you the level of discussion we were dealing with. They stated at the outset that all questions should be science related, so I asked why a question about Noah's Ark, a myth, should be considered science-related. I made some other, tougher points near the end of the forum.

The panel will have another science and religion forum in two weeks. I can't wait!
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
RobertMadewell

Re: Creationist Forums and Presentations

Post by RobertMadewell »

When Doug asked the question about Noah's ark, the couple sitting next to him had a shocked look on their faces.