June 2011 Freethinker Meeting

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

June 2011 Freethinker Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

Spring is gone, summer is here and it's time for our June Freethinker meeting! And note, months ago this meeting was scheduled for Sunday but because of a library conflict, we got bumped to our regular Saturday.

We're going to take it easy this time folks. At our last meeting we did the hard work of covering a lot of information about climatology. Sometimes we probably try to pack just too much goodness into a single meeting. So, no huge topics this time.

Doug will moderate our Moral Question of the Day. Specifically, the smoking ban that almost passed in Fayetteville. Now that the smoke has cleared, what's wrong with banning a harmful substance?

Darrel will walk us through the anatomy of a debunk he found particularly interesting to research. We'll play some really cool heretical video shorts, go over some of the material in our new booklet and then we'll take a nice long break so you can visit the freethinker community we've all created together.

Speaking of that, did you know we have 295 friends on facebook and they are almost perfectly split between male and female? Interesting. And a whole lot of them are single. We've never emphasized this part of our group before, but if you are single and would like to meet someone with a secular inclination, a freethinker meeting might just be a very good place to do that. We know of at least one couple, now married, that first met at one of our meetings.

Also a reminder, if you have leftover books, magazines or DVD's that are on scientific or skeptical topics, or may be of interest to those in our group, bring them to share on our free table.

Hope to see you at the meeting (and remember, as usual, there is no meeting in July).

Meeting Details:

When: Saturday, June 25, 2011.

Where: The Fayetteville Public Library. 401 W. Mountain
St. (two blocks west of the town square). Library phone: 571-2222.

Time: 2:00 - 4:45 pm

Room: The Walker Room, the main meeting room. Go in the front door,
through the lobby and go to your right. You can bring a snack or coffee from Arsaga's in the library lobby.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/b3sfgf

We'll go for dinner afterward at "Damngoode Pies." (37 E Center St)

Questions? Send us an email or a note on Facebook.

Clips from our May meeting:

After the Rapture

32,000 scientists

Camping admits prophecy failure

How to beat your wife

Sharia Law - She's buried chest high (warning, disturbing content)
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer