October 2010 Freethinker Meeting

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

October 2010 Freethinker Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

Hello, freethinkers! It's time for our October meeting of the Fayetteville
Freethinkers. We have some interesting topics for you this month, just on the eve of Halloween.
If you think vampires, werewolves, and zombies are scary, you should see how folks at the local
churches jump at the sight of freethinkers!

On the agenda so far:

Our main event will be watching a little known gem we discovered. It's a documentary entitled "Marjo"
which is about an evangelical prodigy who was pushed into preaching at age four but eventually had a
crisis of conscience and gave it up. He spills the beans about what a scam it all is and gives a behind
the scene view of it all. It won Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature (1972) and it didn't play
in the South (other than Texas) because the distributor was afraid it would cause outrage in the Bible Belt.
We think it's been long enough.

With the current buzz about geocentrism making a come back (in "certain circles") we will have Felix, our
resident aerospace engineer, give us few reasons to believe we are not at the center of the universe.

Michael will step us through some freethinker forum basics. He can even sign you up and get you started.

Of course, we'll have a few other things to share but if you don't come to the meeting you won't know what they are.

Meeting Details:

When: Saturday, October 30, 2010.

Where: The Fayetteville Public Library. 401 W. Mountain
St. (two blocks west of the town square). Library phone: 571-2222.

Time: 2:00-4:30 pm.

Room:
The Walker Room. This is the main meeting room. Go in the front door, through the lobby and go
to your right. Feel free to grab a snack or coffee from Arsaga's in the library lobby.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/b3sfgf

We'll go for dinner afterward at... a location we'll figure out after the
meeting.

Questions? Drop us an email.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: October 2010 Freethinker Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

We had good attendance with about 65 showing up for our October meeting. Here is some more meeting information:

We watched the award winning documentary Marjoe (1972). It's a story about a boy who was forced into being a preacher at age four and his struggle to escape. You can watch the entire film online here.

Our resident astrophysicist Felix gave a presentation explaining why those fine geocentrist folks over at Galileo Was Wrong are in fact incorrect. The earth is not fixed and immovable at the center of the universe. We also watched this video which takes you on a 13.7 billion light year visual trip from earth, to as far as we have ever seen, and back (in six minutes).
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer