February 2010 Freethinker Meeting -Jones Center

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

February 2010 Freethinker Meeting -Jones Center

Post by Dardedar »

UPDATE:

The Fayetteville Library has double booked our reserved room and has bumped us into the 30 person board room. Rather than have to turn people away we have instead booked a very nice meeting room at The Jones Center. Details below:

As promised, we are going to have some Sunday meetings this year and this month is our first one. Note, our freethinker meeting this weekend will be on Sunday, 2:00pm.

Okay Freethinkers, let's try this again.

Our February (Sunday) meeting is even more chock-full of useful nuggets of wisdom than our January meeting was going to be!

Doug Krueger will tell us about an obscure but revealing South Sea tribe that uses a Marine flag as a holy relic and whose members drink an interesting, mildly narcotic, liquid. You won't believe how they process it. And Darrel and Doug have recently tried it! We have a short movie segment that makes it all clear.

We will have our popular interactive segment: the Moral Question of the Day. Also, we're introducing a brand new feature called: "Ask the Expert." We have experts on hand and standing by in the areas of:

Biology, chemistry, physics, philosophy, archaeology, astro-physics and goat ranching?

In our never ending quest to get you freethinkers stimulated and THINKING freely, bring a novel or perplexing question in one of those categories and we'll put it to our experts. Best to write it down in advance. Witty and bizarre is encouraged.

Jack and Cheryl will have a presentation celebrating Thomas Paine's birth day January 29, 1737 "The Age of Reason"...The reason Thomas Paine has been forgotten. They will also announce the winner of the "Why Should Thomas Paine be Remembered" essay contest in which 102 Arkansas school children participated.

Also, Darrel Henschell will debunk and dismantle a popular e-mail going around the Internet. Even better, he will show us, step by step how to quickly and easily investigate these things for ourselves.

We will have some of the latest news items on freethinking, including recent attempts by some religious elements to skirt around the Constitution.

All this, including door prizes and of course good heretical funny bits from cyberspace.

Freethinker Meeting Details:

When: SUNDAY, February 28, 2010.

Where: The Jones Center, 922 E Emma Ave, Springdale, AR. (ph. 756-8090) Website

Time: 2:00 pm

Room: We will be in rooms 219 and 221 (they adjoin). Go through the front lobby of Jones Center, at the T take a right, go about forty feet and open a door on your right that goes into their computer education area. Take the first hallway to your left and our room is on the left. You can always ask for directions at the information desk.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/yb4xrt5

We'll decide a dinner location after the meeting.
Robert Madewell

Re: February 2010 Freethinker Meeting

Post by Robert Madewell »

SUNDAY!
Sunday!
At the Fayetteville Public Library!
MONSTER SKEPTICS!
Monster Skeptics!
BE THERE!
Be there!

Yay! My first meeting as a Fayettevillianite!
I look forward to it.
tmiller51

Re: February 2010 Freethinker Meeting -Jones Center

Post by tmiller51 »

Robert, see above, if you go to the Fayetteville library, you'll miss it. It's at the Jones center in Springdale.
Robert Madewell

Post by Robert Madewell »

I know, I posted that before the update. Damn you, Time!
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Hey...since we will be near sunset...I recommend we go eat at a place called Fuji's Japanese Restaurant. The best damn sushi you have ever had...and plenty of other options for those who hate the sushi. They are kinda struggling and deserve the advertisement. I would be sad if they went out of business. Just a suggestion. It is an excellent restaurant.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

kwlyon wrote:I recommend we go eat at a place called Fuji's Japanese Restaurant. The best damn sushi you have ever had...
DAR
My wife (from Vancouver, BC) was a little skeptical of the "best sushi" claim and did some checking and they indeed have VERY good reviews. I don't like sushi but I do like good Japanese food. So, sounds good. Could you do a little checking and make sure they are open Sunday eve and can handle a group of maybe 25 or so? That would be goot.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Yes, let me qualify that...it is the best sushi I have had in arkansas by a long shot. I have, actually, had better....but it was cut off a fish and to be perfectly honest I am not sure the fish was dead......

I'll call them in just a sec and post back...

Darrel, When do we usually get out to go eat...I am never paying attention to the time.

Kevin
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

kwlyon wrote:Darrel, When do we usually get out to go eat....
DAR
About 5:00pm.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Just gave them a call. They open at 4:00 p.m. and yes, they will be able to accommodate a table of 25 or more easily.

Kevin