March 2009 Meeting

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

March 2009 Meeting

Post by Dardedar »

Okay folks, it's time for the March meeting of the Fayetteville Freethinkers.

We have several things lined up, including at least:

Coralie Koonce, a local Fayetteville author, is going to be doing a presentation called "Don't Turn Freethinking into an Ideology." It relates to her new book "Swimming in a Sea of Ideology." It sounds like a good starting point for discussion.

In keeping with our goal of furthering Bible education, Doug Krueger will do a short presentation on the contradictions in the Bible surrounding the famous old question "What Must We Do to be Saved?" This is the point of the book after all, saving souls. Does the Bible clearly and unequivocally tell us what someone must do in order to be saved? You may be surprised at the answer. Not even the cleverest bible-thumping preacher can sort out this mess. Doug will do his best. You will understand the scope of the problem when he is finished.

In addition, we'll see a 1/2-hour episode of "John Safran Vs God," a humorous TV series starring the irreverent John Safran. If you have never seen one of these, you're in for a treat.

We will also watch a 1-hour biopic called "Godless in America," on the life and death of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, former president of American Atheists.

Don't forget we have our Springfest booth event coming up the first weekend in May. Darrel has nine new baby goats ("scapegoats") in stock for the purpose of teaching people about the history of atonement but it's time to get cracking on other ideas to make our booth interesting and informative this year.

PS. If someone has an idea for a "scam of the month," or "moral question of the day" presentation, let us know and we'll see if we can fit it in this meeting.

Freethinker Meeting Details:

When: Saturday, March 28, 2009 (the last Saturday of the month).

Where: The Fayetteville Public Library. 401 W. Mountain
St. (two blocks west of the town square). Library phone: 571-2222.

Time: 2:00 pm

Room: The Walker Room. This is the main meeting room. Go in the front
door, through the lobby and go to your right. You can bring a snack or coffee from Arsaga's in the library lobby.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/b3sfgf

Dinner afterward: To be decided in true democratic fashion after the meeting.
kwlyon

moral question of the day

Post by kwlyon »

I have a suggestion...but it will take a fundie to answer it I think.

Is it still a sin to masturbate if one were to freeze one's "seed" at a sperm bank for potential future implementation?

As for an idea regarding a "scam of the month", if you would each send me $20 I will inform you of a good one.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: moral question of the day

Post by Dardedar »

kwlyon wrote:I have a suggestion...but it will take a fundie to answer it I think.
DAR
Bah, most fundies don't know much about the Bible. If you want accurate answers to your Bible questions, ask an atheist.
Is it still a sin to masturbate if one were to freeze one's "seed" at a sperm bank for potential future implementation?
DAR
I don't know that masturbation is ever directly and specifically addressed in the Bible but there are lots of verses that sexually repressed Christians try to spin into making them seem so. Onan once pulled out and spilled his seed on the ground but that's happened to the best of us. God killed him because he was supposed to have knocked up his sister as I remember. But that was a long time ago, he was grumpy back then.
As for an idea regarding a "scam of the month", if you would each send me $20 I will inform you of a good one.
DAR
Excellent suggestion. If you post your bank account number and a picture of your signature the funds could be transferred.

D.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Re: March 2009 Meeting

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:In keeping with our goal of furthering Bible education, Doug Krueger will do a short presentation on the contradictions in the Bible surrounding the famous old question "What Must We Do to be Saved?" This is the point of the book after all, saving souls. Does the Bible clearly and unequivocally tell us what someone must do in order to be saved? You may be surprised at the answer. Not even the cleverest bible-thumping preacher can sort out this mess. Doug will do his best. You will understand the scope of the problem when he is finished.
This presentation can now be found on our website here.