From the Mailbag

Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: From the Mailbag

Post by Dardedar »

-- On Fri, 4/29/11, [V.P.] wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. and after being around freethinkers, I am thinking maybe there is a higher power,freethinkers are not helping other people and all they do is make fun and laugh at the christians, which put them no better than the christians..Thanks for your help in making my mind up..V.P.
Glad to have helped you sort that out VP. Of course if you have been to our meetings, as you say you have, then you are well aware that we do a great deal more than laugh at the Christians (although we would certainly be remiss if we didn't point out some of their worst absurdities with good humor). Also, you might want to note that it would be a fallacious logic to presume that the behavior of any group, could in any way be evidence of "a higher power." That logic doesn't follow. Best to avoid fallacies when reasoning about such things.

I offered for you to take the lead in organizing some kind of "helping people" effort, but apparently you don't have any interest in that. Rather curious behavior for a person supposedly so interested in helping others don't you think VP?

Perhaps you were looking for a "church lite" group. You might give the Unitarians a visit. They're very nice, and they don't make fun of Christians.

Darrel.
------------------
Excerpt from our new booklet:

"Freethinkers are like goats; they’re quick and alert and they don’t take any guff.
They stand up for their beliefs, fight for what is right, and may give you a horn in
the ribs if they see you getting off-track and being led around like a sheep.
The dictionary defines a sheep-like person as:
“3. a meek, unimaginative, or easily led person”
Freethinkers say: Be a goat, don’t be a sheep!"
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:
[V.P.] wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. and after being around freethinkers, I am thinking maybe there is a higher power,freethinkers are not helping other people and all they do is make fun and laugh at the christians, which put them no better than the christians..Thanks for your help in making my mind up..V.P.
...Also, you might want to note that it would be a fallacious logic to presume that the behavior of any group, could in any way be evidence of "a higher power." That logic doesn't follow. Best to avoid fallacies when reasoning about such things.
DOUG
Since VP concludes that laughing at Christians makes us no better than Christians (so they do the same thing?), he surely can't conclude that our laughing at Christians means that our view of a higher power must be wrong, or else the fact that Christians are on the same level, as he claims, should likewise imply that their view of a higher power is wrong too, which would negate VP's conclusion that a higher power exists.

VP's reasoning here is certainly elusive...
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Subject:
To: fayfreethinkers@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
"Why was there nothing posted on the American Atheist Convention?>>
DAR
Didn't think of it. If you think of things like this, you can always pop by our forum and post information. It's strongly encouraged:

index.php

Having personally posted about 6,000 posts in our freethinker forum in the last five years (3 per day), I think that's probably enough. On April 25th I posted this picture from the American Atheist convention:

viewtopic.php?p=23806#p23806
T: "Mostly it seems you want to brag about a billboard for 1
month. even though what a waste of money.">>
DAR
We didn't spend a single penny on it, and we had dozens of people contact us and join our group because of it. We also had three television interviews, about five hundred comments on TV station internet blogs and several newspaper articles as well. For free.
T: "getting a real speaker or setting up a debate and advertising it would be a better use.">>
Two weeks ago we brought in speaker Tom Flynn, the executive director of the Council for Secular Humanism. He didn't charge us but we paid to advertised it. Debates are in the works.
T: "and posting local.state,nation and world events woould be a nice start.">>
This happens on in our forum, constantly. In the last five years, 18,500 posts have been made. One third of them have been posted by me. Would you like to join in with postings about local, state, nation and world events? Please do.
T: "But I'm glad you are trying! Thank you.">>
Thanks for the feedback.

regards,

Darrel
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:
T: "Mostly it seems you want to brag about a billboard for 1
month. even though what a waste of money.">>
T: "and posting local.state,nation and world events woould be a nice start.">>
This happens on in our forum, constantly.
Perhaps T's observation can be taken constructively. The first attention-grabbing thing on our homepage is the billboard picture from a year ago. What do you think of the idea of trying to redirect traffic to the forum with not just a single line of text but some sort of image? I might be able to come up with something in a couple days' time.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Savonarola wrote:What do you think of the idea of trying to redirect traffic to the forum with not just a single line of text but some sort of image? I might be able to come up with something in a couple days' time.
Sounds good. Also, the billboard picture could be made a little smaller and moved down, perhaps even to the bottom. A more recent picture from Springfest could be given higher priority. I'll send you some.

Incidentally, I did a short interview with NWA Times today regarding a Fayetteville Freethinker/secular opinion on:

The National Day of Prayer tomorrow and

How we might view the death of Bin Laden

Should run in the paper tomorrow.