Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Maher: Flag Pins Are For Idiots

Post by Dardedar »

Bill Maher: American Flag Pins Are For Idiots

By Volt

Bill Maher, CommonDreams, October 13, 2007

Show me a man wearing an American flag pin in his lapel, and I’ll show you an asshole. I’m sure there are exceptions, but in general people need to remember that lapels aren’t for wearing pins to create the illusion that you’re supporting the troops. They’re for wearing ribbons to create the illusion that you’re helping cure a disease.

Last week we had the first genuine controversy of the presidential campaign: the shocking news that Barack Obama doesn’t wear an American flag lapel pin, so apparently he and America are no longer going steady. “No lapel pin, Senator? It’s like not wearing pants. Why don’t you just stab the Statue of Liberty in the eye while bitch-slapping a 9/11 widow?” Another in a series of bullshit non-stories that have zero effect on the troops, the war or anything in the real world - or, as Fox calls it, “Breaking News.”

the rest
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

excellent essay.

I also read today that Obama said he doesn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance or hold his hand over his heart when others do. I don't these things, either, and I totally understand why he doesn't (which of course doesn't make either of us unAmerican) -- but that's probably not going to win him over to the apparent majority in this country who are flag wavers.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Betsy wrote:I also read today that Obama said he doesn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance or hold his hand over his heart when others do.
Sometimes he puts his hand over his heart when singing the national anthem, sometimes he does not.

The right wing nuts want to paint him as unpatriotic, so they'll say he never does. I have not heard that Obama doesn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance. That must be the latest right wing lie about Obama.

Here's something interesting:
See the context here.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

oops, I meant the National Anthem, but you know, whatever.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

The "hand over the heart" goes way back - it's the civilian form of salute. Men wearing hats are supposed to remove them and hold their hats over their hearts, while women (Darrel can give you the biblical reference - the "christian" traditions our country wasn't founded on) remained hatted. I don't say the Pledge any more, either. Not since I paid attention to the words. My alliegence is to the Republic and its foundation, the Constitution - never to a piece of cloth.
Barbara Fitzpatrick