Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Political Cartoons

Post by Doug »

tmiller51

Post by tmiller51 »

Doug I think that might be more sad than funny.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

I wonder if it's true.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Darrel wrote:I wonder if it's true.
I haven't crunched any numbers...and I am a physicist, not an accountant and thus I am not qualified anyways. None the less I feel quite confident saying this is not likely true...we could not have payed off the national debt over the past ten years...however we could have made one hell of a dent...at the very least it would not have increased to the ridiculous extent that it has. I think this cartoon was just intending to make that point...and a little exaggeration serves the comedic effect.

Kevin
Doug

Post by Doug »

President Clinton: The United States on Track to Pay Off the Debt by End of the Decade

See here.

December 28, 2000

Today, President Clinton will announce that The United States is on course to eliminate its public debt within the next decade. The Administration also announced that we are projected to pay down $237 billion in debt in 2001.
===============================
Doug writes:
We would have paid off the Clinton-sized debt at least. Of course, since then, Bush added another trillion, with at least a trillion dollars in tax cuts alone adding to the problem.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Goddammit Doug......
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Well... those numbers are based upon very optimistic projections that quickly evaporated, partly because they were just plain wrong (just as the projection were wrong when they didn't project/foresee the Clinton surplus), partly because of the recession, partly because of 9/11 and a lot because of Bush tax give-a-ways. And remember, even Clinton's surplus was still based upon using the same calculation everyone else uses, robbing SS.

There is no question we'd be in far better shape with Clinton's fiscal responsibility rather than Bush's fiscal stupidity, tax cuts for the rich and trillion dollar wars. But I am very skeptical that the deficit would have been paid off in a decade and to be persuaded otherwise I would need to see an analysis based upon the real numbers that followed fall 2000, not estimates/projections made at that time. In reality, the economic costs of 9/11 and recession that kicked in pretty much nix this notion I bet.

D.
------------------
“At the end of my husband’s Administration, the forecast was for a 10-year budget surplus of $5.6 trillion. Today, just two and a half years into the Bush era, we’re looking at a $4 trillion deficit.” --Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, 7/32/03, blaming this ten trillion dollar swing on Bush.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:But I am very skeptical that the deficit would have been paid off in a decade and to be persuaded otherwise I would need to see an analysis based upon the real numbers that followed fall 2000, not estimates/projections made at that time. In reality, the economic costs of 9/11 and recession that kicked in pretty much nix this notion I bet.
DOUG
Well, Clinton was so intent on getting Osama bin Laden that no doubt Gore would have been just as focused on it, and maybe 9-11 never would have happened.

But in any case, later that year or the following one, Clinton said that by 2015 we could have gotten rid of the national debt. At least, he was on track to do that even if later events made it impossible for Bush to do it. Of course, Bush had no intention of doing that anyway.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Doug

Post by Doug »

Doug

Post by Doug »

Doug

Post by Doug »

Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Doug wrote:[world according to Americans]
I think if you add "and cocaine" to South America, that is exactly how FAUX News viewers see the world, except that this cartoon probably does better with the geography.
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

This makes my third pecker chubby....

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end
Doug

Post by Doug »

Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Glenn Beck is also a sexist. When asked if he would be Palin's running mate in 2012, he said no way! and: "can you imagine, can you imagine what an administration with the two of us would be like? What? Come on! She'd be yapping or something, and I'd say, "I'm sorry, why am I hearing your voice? I'm not in the kitchen."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/2 ... 71728.html
kwlyon

Post by kwlyon »

Betsy wrote:Glenn Beck is also a sexist....She'd be yapping or something, and I'd say, "I'm sorry, why am I hearing your voice? I'm not in the kitchen."
This is kinda how I feel about Palin. Well, not because she is a woman, but rather because she is a woman AND an idiot. I don't want her representing american women. I don't want her raised to a position of prominence where foreigners and even our own young women might get the mistaken impression that she is someone to look up to. She is an embarrassment to women everywhere just as Jerry Falwell was an embarrassment to everyone with a penis. Somehow I don't believe this is where Glenn Beck was coming from, however he is an embarrassment to penis packing americans as well. Hell, he's an embarrassment to us all, and come to think of it, so is Palin. Haha...I said penis packing...hehe....(immature giggling continuities)

Kevin
Doug

Post by Doug »

Doug

Post by Doug »

Doug

Post by Doug »

Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Doug wrote:[pic]
As fun as it is to point out that the sign was no doubt made with significant help from a computer, a small circle on it reads "I agree with the SJC," which ruled in favor of gay marriage in Massachusetts. I think the absurdity of the sign is the equivalent of the winking smiley accompanying demonstration's of Poe's law......