Gay Republicans offended by Obama's Support

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Gay Republicans offended by Obama's Support

Post by Dardedar »

David Franks found this...

Gay Republicans Offended That Obama Supports Gay Marriage. Seriously.

Excerpt:

"Allow me, if you will, to paint a picture of pure insanity. This picture will reveal the absolute hatred that Republicans have for Obama. The current wisdom is that if Obama saved a kitten from a burning house, Republicans would complain that he was stealing the job of a firefighter. The reality is not far removed:

via the Log Cabin Republicans (the homosexual wing of the GOP. Yes, they’re real):
Obama Announcement Is Cold Comfort to LGBT Americans

(Washington, DC) – Log Cabin Republicans respond to President Barack Obama’s latest evolution on the freedom to marry.

“That the president has chosen today, when LGBT Americans are mourning the passage of Amendment One, to finally speak up for marriage equality is offensive and callous,” said R. Clarke Cooper, Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director. “Log Cabin Republicans appreciate that President Obama has finally come in line with leaders like Vice President Dick Cheney on this issue, but LGBT Americans are right to be angry that this calculated announcement comes too late to be of any use to the people of North Carolina, or any of the other states that have addressed this issue on his watch. This administration has manipulated LGBT families for political gain as much as anybody, and after his campaign’s ridiculous contortions to deny support for marriage equality this week he does not deserve praise for an announcement that comes a day late and a dollar short.”
[SNIP...]

Third, Obama’s manipulated LGBT families? How, exactly? By making sure that federal employees can cover their same sex partner on their health insurance? By ending Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell? By making gay bashing a hate crime? By announcing that gay rights issues are human rights issues throughout the world? By making it mandatory for hospitals to allow same sex partners to visit sick or injured loved ones?

Here’s the official White House list of stuff the Obama administration has done for the LGBT community. It is not remotely comprehensive. Obama has done more for the LGBT community in three years than every single previous president combined. If that’s “manipulating” the LGBT community, what do the Log Cabin Dummies consider “full-throated support?” Should he divorce Michelle and marry Joe Biden?

As for the claim of “political gain;” what gain would that be? Will moderates suddenly sit up and say, “YES! The hell with the economy! I was only interested in gay rights!”? Will conservatives suddenly feel that their institutional bigotry is misplaced and they should embrace the LGBT community as fellow humans instead of condemning them to burn for eternity as “unnatural?” Will the GOP decide that perhaps gay-baiting is not the way to go and focus on the issues? Hell, gay Republicans can’t even muster any support for Obama. They’re outraged! They’re offended! Not at their own party whose official platform is virulently anti-gay but at that goddamned Obama for not supporting them sooner! Obama gets nothing from supporting gay marriage and only hands the right another cudgel to attack him with.

If you need an example of Obama Derangement Syndrome distilled to its essence, gay Republicans mad at a Democratic president for supporting their right to marry is it."

Proud to be a filthy Liberal Scum
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer