Barack Obama

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
rolankie
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Barack Obama

Post by rolankie »

How would you assess Barack Obama's first year in office? How far has he gone in meeting your expectations? US President Barack Obama was elected by a landslide and brought hope to millions not only in America but around the world with his promise of genuine change. How would you assess his first year in office? Has he met your expectations?
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Barack Obama

Post by Dardedar »

Spam. When one puts:

"How would you assess Barack Obama's first year in office? How far has he gone in meeting"

in google, we see this little blurb is posted everywhere.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
David Franks
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by David Franks »

It's still a good question, though probably not for the reason that the spammer posted it. I think an honest assessment of Obama's performance so far would net him more support rather than cost him support. This is not to say that he hasn't screwed up in a few respects, not least of which is being too eager to lead through compromise with opposition that would not compromise. I just hope he doesn't get fragged.
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

It is a good question, that's why I left it even though it's spam. Just don't expect a response from Mr. rolankie.

I agree with your observations. He's over compromised at times. But can any of us even comprehend what it would be like to have to work, get things done and co-govern with these lunatics he has to deal with? One shudders.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

It makes you appreciate the times when he steps up and delivers:
WASHINGTON -- In a bold move sure to infuriate Republicans and possibly draw a court challenge, President Barack Obama announced Wednesday that he will use his executive power to bypass Congress and put Richard Cordray in charge at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau." Obama Using Recess Appointment Amid GOP Opposition
From his announcement speech. He ridicules Republicans for suggesting the 2008 financial meltdown was the result of overregulation and excessive oversight:
"Today I’m appointing Richard as America’s consumer watchdog. That means he’ll be in charge of one thing: looking out for the best interests of American consumers. His job will be to protect families like yours from the abuses of the financial industry. His job will be to make sure you’ve got all the information you need to make important financial decisions. Right away, he’ll start working to make sure millions of Americans are treated fairly by mortgage brokers, payday lenders and debt collectors. In fact, just this week, his agency is opening up a simple, 1-800 number you can call to make sure you’re getting a fair deal on your mortgage, and hold banks and brokers accountable if you’re not.

I nominated Richard for this job last summer. And yet, for almost half a year, Republicans in the Senate have blocked his confirmation. They’ve refused to even give Richard and up-or-down vote. It’s not because he’s unqualified. There is no question that Richard is the right person for this job. He’s got support from Democrats and Republicans. A majority of Attorneys General from both parties across the country have called for Richard to be confirmed. Your local Members of Congress who are here today – they support him. He has the support of a majority in the Senate. Everyone agrees that he’s more than qualified.

The only reason Republicans in the Senate have blocked Richard is because they don’t agree with the law setting up the consumer watchdog. They want to weaken it. Well that makes no sense at all. Does anyone think the reason we got in such a financial mess was because of too much oversight? Of course not. We shouldn’t be weakening oversight and accountability. We should be strengthening it – especially when it comes to looking out for families like yours. Financial firms have armies of lobbyists in Washington looking out for their interests. It’s time someone fought for you, too."