Obama wins nobel prize

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
thomaswos

Obama wins nobel prize

Post by thomaswos »

Obama wins nobel peace prize. Why?
Hard to believe that a U.S. President can win a peace prize while engaged in two wars.
Can some one please inform me as to why Obama has gotten a Nobel Peace Prize when he has yet to do what he has gotten the prize for?
Betsy

Re: Obama wins nobel prize

Post by Betsy »

perhaps if you posted this under the politics forum heading you would get some responses...?
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Betsy wrote:perhaps if you posted this under the politics forum heading you would get some responses...?
I'll move it, which is the next best thing.

--Savonarola, FFForums Mod@Large
tmiller51
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by tmiller51 »

I don't know that he really deserved it yet. It was mostly symbolic and a way to give Bush a well deserved jab.
L.Wood

Post by L.Wood »

Other than being the first black person to ever be elected President in a nation of loud racists and bigots (see here) the award is mostly
for NOT being George Bush. Worst. President. Ever.

It was also a symbolic "Congratulations" gesture to Americans for overcoming
our racist, bigoted past.

"Blessed is the Lord for he avoids Evil just like the Godfather, he delegates."
Betty Bowers
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

thomaswos wrote:Obama wins nobel peace prize. Why?
DAR
Oh, that's easy. The Nobel Prize committee carefully considered 205 nominations and decided, "unanimously," in a decision that "came with ease," that Obama had the best ability/potential to accomplish peaceful ends for the world compared with all of the rest.
THOMAS
Hard to believe that a U.S. President can win a peace prize while engaged in two wars.
DAR
One of which he is ahead of schedule on retracting us from (which he opposed from the start), the other... sort of a "make the best of a bad situation" left by a warmonger who didn't finish a job that should have been wrapped up years ago.
THOMAS
Can some one please inform me as to why Obama has gotten a Nobel Peace Prize when he has yet to do what he has gotten the prize for?
DAR
It's important to consider that many Nobel Peace prize winners went on to succeed with their better known accomplishments AFTER they were given the prize. So winning the award is also an attempt to give someone who has great potential to be influential in accomplishing peaceful goals even more power and influence in this regard. Note:

"I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement -- it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century." --Obama

Also, he has accomplished a great deal even in a short time. His reaching out to Muslims as human beings we can talk with was a stunner. Another obvious example would be canceling the provocative and unnecessary and expensive missile shield (that doesn't work).

ElBaradei, the chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency, who knows a little more about the proliferation of nuclear weapons than you or I says:

"I could not think of anybody who is more deserving," said ElBaradei.

The disdain for Bush's failures in this regard where also no doubt part of this:

"the Nobel Committee pushes "multilateralism around the world [and] very much disliked the prior U.S. president [George W. Bush]. ... This is in part a reflection of that as well."

D.
--------------------
Rising star, representative Grayson on the republicans complaining about Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize:

"I think I understand their disappointment. They're not going to be winning the Nobel Peace Prize themselves anytime soon. They probably wish there were a Nobel Prize for fear, a Nobel Prize for hatred, a Nobel prize for racism. You know, then they'd be in the running, but I don't think they're going to be winning a Nobel Peace Prize soon." --Rep. Alan Grayson, Link.
Doug

Post by Doug »

thomaswos wrote:Can some one please inform me as to why Obama has gotten a Nobel Peace Prize when he has yet to do what he has gotten the prize for?
DOUG
He HAS accomplished what the peace prize is for. It is for peace. Obama has travelled the world, even BEFORE being elected president, assuring the world that he will, if elected--and later after being elected--bring the U.S. back to sanity. He assured the world that under his administration the U.S. will no longer be a rogue nation, will no longer start wars without sufficient cause, and will work with other nations to promote peace and understanding.

After being elected, he continued this message, and has worked to make it a reality. He has done more to calm and reassure the world about the deadly U.S. threat than any other person alive. He has been able to show the world that the U.S. is no longer reckless and murderous. Unlike his predecessor who never thought to try to fight smart battles, who never cared about who he murdered, Obama reached out to Muslim nation in an attempt to show that we are not the demons that, together, Bush and Osama bin Laden had made us out to be.

Obama has brought the U.S. back from the darkness Bush and Cheney plunged it into, and he has strategically positioned the U.S. so that it can begin trying to win back its place as a world leader in the area of peace, an area in which we had lost all our credibility because of Republican principles gone amok.

Obama certainly deserved this peace prize.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Ha Ha Ha - This is the funniest post ever from this WACKO BAND OF NUT BURGERS- You folks ARE FREAKS.

Obama- Bows before the Japanese Emperor- OBAMA bows??????? What a dip.

This idiot deserves the NOBEL PEACE for not being Bush- for being half black??????/

YOU FOLKS ARE FREAKS------
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
I think if Mr. "Galt" had good arguments for his beliefs he would use them. Instead, he resorts to throwing insults and calling people names. That's too bad. I assure him it is much more rewarding when you can back up your claims without that kind of behavior.

D.
-------------------
Ad hominem abusive

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

wiki
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

John Galt wrote: OBAMA bows??????? What a dip.

Hey Galt, sometimes leaders temporarily adopt the customs of a country they are visiting. For instance, here is Mr. Bush doing just that. Doesn't he look snappy.

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

As one person noted:

"Everybody knows proper diplomatic protocol for foreign leaders is to give them backrubs."

Did it cause a problem when Eisenhower was bowing to leaders?