Political Quotes of the Day

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Political Quotes of the Day

Post by Dardedar »

"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"[The Obama campaign] will say gun owners -- they'll say they left them alone," LaPierre told an audience at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) Friday. "In public, he'll remind us that he's put off calls from his party to renew the Clinton [assault weapons] ban, he hasn't pushed for new gun control laws... The president will offer the Second Amendment lip service and hit the campaign trail saying he's actually been good for the Second Amendment."

"But it's a big fat stinking lie!" the NRA leader exclaimed. "It's all part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and destroy the Second Amendment in our country."

"Obama himself is no fool. So when he got elected, they concocted a scheme to stay away from the gun issue, lull gun owners to sleep and play us for fools in 2012. Well, gun owners are not fools and we are not fooled," La Pierre declared."

crooksandliars
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Class Warfare My Ass
William Rivers Pitt, Truthout | Op-Ed

Excerpt:

"There is work available for the doing, on infrastructure and new technology fields and any number of other areas, but the GOP majority in the House of Representatives won't have any of it, because their marching orders are to screw the American economy in as many orifices as are available to try and unseat the sitting president. Period, end of file, and if you still think that isn't their intention, I have a big red bridge over San Francisco Bay to sell you.

Class warfare? These cretins have the unmitigated gall to accuse other people of class warfare?

It is a wonder of American politics, this absolute and astonishing lack of shame on the part of the modern GOP. They have spent the last thirty years stifling a minimum-wage increase, they blocked legislation to help 9/11 responders pay for very present health concerns, and spent the latter part of this last week trying to screw disaster relief funding for people who lose homes to tornadoes, floods, wildfires and earthquakes. They hate Social Security and Medicare down to their gold-plated bones. Now they are deliberately and intentionally stifling the very economy they themselves tore up, for no other reason than to win the next election."

http://truthout.com/class-warfare-my-ass/1316806211
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"If we believe in the cause enough to fight a war for it, we should at least be willing to pay for that war. Let's create a War Tax that goes into effect when a conflict begins and ends when the last veteran of that conflict has died and no longer needs any support. The tax must be big enough to fund all war-related expenses and must be paid by every person and every corporation that lives or operates in the US. No exceptions.

I wonder how quickly our current wars would end, and how seldom we would fight in the future, if we all had to actually [and obviously, in plain sight] pay for it."

Link
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

No comment:

"I've got the complete skill set to do this job," [Bachmann] told roughly 35 people in a half-full hotel ballroom on a rainy day."

LINK
David Franks
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by David Franks »

Interesting attempt to follow up on the Elizabeth Warren post above: http://tinyurl.com/3aqyxbk

The subsequent comments do a better job, I think.
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

David Franks wrote:Interesting attempt to follow up on the Elizabeth Warren post above: http://tinyurl.com/3aqyxbk
The subsequent comments do a better job, I think.
What a piece of crap. This line from the article was very telling: "It is not entirely clear whether education qualifies as a public good."

Pure teabagger. Wow.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Country singer Hank Williams appeared on "Fox and Friends" this morning and told the hosts that he didn't like any of the candidates in the GOP primary for President, and that John Boehner's golf game with Barack Obama was a major mistake.

"That would be like Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu. Not hardly. In the shape this country is in?"

When Brian Kilmeade said that he didn't understand the analogy, Williams continued, "I'm glad you don't brother, because a lot of people do. They're the enemy... Obama! And Biden! Are you kidding? The Three Stooges."

While it was suggested that the President and Vice President were only two people, falling short of the trio he described, Williams just moved on to talking about the current race.

ESPN [wisely] decided to pull its Monday Night Football introduction with singer Hank Williams, Jr."

Huff Po
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I already have a lot on my plate." -- NJ Gov. Chris Christie, explaining today why he's not running for president

*just kidding
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:Image

"I already have a lot on my plate."
"Three whole things!"
David Franks

Post by David Franks »

Savonarola wrote:Three whole things!"
A whole side of beef, a whole luau, and a whole five-gallon tub of Arctic brand peanut butter ice cream.
"Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Priceless. Reagan on taxing the millionaires:

Youtube clip, one minute

Also:

Reagan insider: 'GOP destroyed U.S. economy'

"How my G.O.P. destroyed the U.S. economy." Yes, that is exactly what David Stockman, President Ronald Reagan's director of the Office of Management and Budget, wrote in a recent New York Times op-ed piece, "Four Deformations of the Apocalypse."

"Reagan Republican: the GOP should file for bankruptcy

Stockman rushes into the ring swinging like a boxer: "If there were such a thing as Chapter 11 for politicians, the Republican push to extend the unaffordable Bush tax cuts would amount to a bankruptcy filing. The nation's public debt ... will soon reach $18 trillion." It screams "out for austerity and sacrifice." But instead, the GOP insists "that the nation's wealthiest taxpayers be spared even a three-percentage-point rate increase."

In the past 40 years Republican ideology has gone from solid principles to hype and slogans. Stockman says: "Republicans used to believe that prosperity depended upon the regular balancing of accounts -- in government, in international trade, on the ledgers of central banks and in the financial affairs of private households and businesses too."

No more. Today there's a "new catechism" that's "little more than money printing and deficit finance, vulgar Keynesianism robed in the ideological vestments of the prosperous classes" making a mockery of GOP ideals. Worse, it has resulted in "serial financial bubbles and Wall Street depredations that have crippled our economy." Yes, GOP ideals backfired, crippling our economy.

Stockman's indictment warns that the Republican party's "new policy doctrines have caused four great deformations of the national economy, and modern Republicans have turned a blind eye to each one:""

LINK
David Franks

Post by David Franks »

Reagan Republican: the GOP should file for bankruptcy
The GOP declares moral bankruptcy every time it opens its mouth.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"The great object [of political parties] should be to combat the evil:
1. By establishing a political equality among all.
2. By withholding unnecessary opportunities from a few, to increase the inequality of property, by an immoderate, and especially an unmerited, accumulation of riches.
3. By the silent operation of laws, which, without violating the rights of property, reduce extreme wealth towards a state of mediocrity, and raise extreme indigence towards a state of comfort."
--James Madison, 1792, Constitution dot org

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
-James Madison
Source: "Political Observations" (1795-04-20); also in Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (1865), Vol. IV, p. 491
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Five out of eight isn't bad...

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"Roughly 45 percent of all Republican primary voters are conservative evangelical Christians, and they’re probably as wary of Romney today as they were in 2008, when he drew only 11 percent of evangelicals’ vote in the crucial South Carolina primary-and failed to crack 20 percent in any Southern primary. Even outside the South, the “cult” perception is endemic; in a summer Gallup poll, 22 percent of Americans said they would never vote for a Mormon."

LINK
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

If only Obama had something to run on...

"If you'd told me in January 2009 that the banks would pay us back the entire bailout and then some, that the auto companies would actually turn around with government help and be a major engine of recovery, that there would be continuous job growth since 2009, however insufficient, after the worst demand collapse since the 1930s, that bin Laden would be dead, Egypt transitioning to democracy, al Qaeda all but decimated as a global threat, and civil rights for gays expanding more rapidly than at any time in history ... well I would be expecting a triumphant re-election campaign."

The Untold Story Of The Actual Obama Record
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

This is astonishing. Right now, there is a republican front runner (temporary and meaningless yes), who is so clueless he doesn't even understand what "pro-choice" means. He clearly has no understanding of the abortion issue:
On Fox Business’s Stossel show last week, Herman Cain once again made himself look like a moron. This time, the topic was abortion,... When asked if abortion should be legal, Cain offered a simple answer: “I’m pro-life from conception, yes.” Stossel asked whether there are any cases in which abortion should be legal, such as rape or incest. Cain replied, “I don’t think government should make that decision.” Stossel made an effort to clear up the obvious contradiction but Cain responded by giving three different positions, starting with his anti-choice position.

CAIN: I support life from conception. No people shouldn’t be free to abort because if we don’t protect the sanctity of life from conception, we will also start to play God relative to life at the end of life.

Confused? Stossel sure was. So should a rape victim have access to an abortion? Cain answered that one too.

CAIN: That’s her choice. That’s not government choice. I support life from conception.

STOSSEL: So abortion should be legal.

CAIN: No, abortion should not be legal.

CAIN: No! I don’t believe a woman should have an abortion. Does that help to clear it up?

STOSSEL: Even if she is raped.

CAIN: Even if she is raped or she is the victim of incest because there are other options. We must protect the sanctity of life and I have always believed that. Real clear.

Video here
As one fellow put it:

"So, wait, what was that? Cain says "people shouldn't just be free to abort," but also says that "government shouldn't make that decision." He thinks that if a woman is raped, getting an abortion is "her choice, that is not government's choice," but then adds that abortion shouldn't be allowed in the case of rape "because there are other options" and "we must protect the sanctity of life."
It was as if Cain had no familiarity with or understanding of the role that government plays in the debate over abortion rights. He had simply gathered some common abortion-related words and phrases — "her choice," "government's decision", "sanctity of life" — then randomly assembled them into sentences. Poor Stossel was left on the verge of speechlessness." LINK

On Meet the Press he did this:
Cain tells Gregory that he's against abortion without exception, even in cases of rape or incest (putting him to the right, by the way, of both Mitt Romney and Rick Perry). But when asked whether his opposition also applies to cases in which the life of the mother is at risk, Cain repeats this vague response three times: "That family is going to have to make that decision." LINK
On Wednesday he said this:
CNN's Piers Morgan asked Cain Wednesday about his view on abortion in the case of rape. "It ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president, not some politician, not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn't have to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive issue,"
On Friday he tried to clear it up on FOX with this:
"Abortion should not be legal, that is clear. But if that family made a decision to break the law, that's that family's decision, that's all I'm trying to say," he said Huff Po
All the video clips here.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Darrel wrote:
"So, wait, what was that? Cain says "people shouldn't just be free to abort," but also says that "government shouldn't make that decision."
This might be one of the smartest dumb things ever said by a candidate for the Republican nomination. The rabid anti-government people can buy into it, and the rabid anti-choice people can buy into it. Nevermind that it makes no sense and requires a mental defect to accept, because Republicans don't have the capacity to realize it.