Political Quotes of the Day

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

WASHINGTON - AP

President Bush, facing opposition from both parties over his plan to send more troops to Iraq, said he has the authority to act no matter what Congress wants.

"I fully understand they could try to stop me from doing it. But I've made my decision. And we're going forward," Bush told CBS' "60 Minutes" in an interview to air Sunday night.

Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

W's attitude is precisely why cutting funding is now back "on the table" - It is the one thing Congress can do without W's signature (don't have to worry about a veto). The Dems have been moving slowly - step by legal step - to bring as many Rs along with them as possible - that's the direction they are heading.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

(Totally unscientific) Poll on AOL

Which president was best?
Bill Clinton 30%
Ronald Reagan 27%
John F. Kennedy 17%
Dwight Eisenhower 13%
George W. Bush 5%
Richard Nixon 2%
George H.W. Bush 2%
Jimmy Carter 2%
Gerald Ford 2%
Total Votes: 406,002

Which president was worst?
George W. Bush 49%
Jimmy Carter 25%
Bill Clinton 15%
Richard Nixon 6%
George H.W. Bush 3%
Ronald Reagan 1%
Gerald Ford 1%
John F. Kennedy 1%
Dwight Eisenhower 0%
Total Votes: 408,543
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Admittedly an unscientific poll is of little scientific value - but it is interesting to compare the best/worst ratings on Clinton and Reagan. (And for that matter, the best/worst ratings of W and Jimmy Carter.)
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Guess Who Said It:

"If you get involved in a major ground war in the Saudi desert, I think support will erode significantly. Nor should it be supported. We cannot even contemplate, in my view, trading American blood for Iraqi blood."

ANSWER:

John McCain, New York Times, August 19, 1990.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

From Crooksandliars.com:

"Senator Leahy blasted Alberto Gonzalez at todays briefing over the treatment of Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen who was detained and sent to Syria, where he was regularly tortured for almost a year before being released uncharged:

Leahy: "We knew damn well if he went to Canada he wouldn't be tortured. He'd be held and he'd be investigated. We also knew damn well if he went to Syria, he'd be tortured. And it's beneath the dignity of this country, a country that has always been a beacon of human rights, to send somebody to another country to be tortured."

It's really nice to have a true American patriot like Senator Leahy, rather than the spineless Arlen Specter, chairing the crucial Senate Judiciary Committee.

You can watch the video clip here.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Nice to have people back chairing ALL the committees that aren't rubberstamps. (Or at least most of them - didn't Lieberman get a committee to flush?) As to all things legal and foreign policy - we have no evidence that ANY of the detainees did anything wrong, much less aided, abetted, or participated in terrorist activity against America. If we had evidence, they'd have been tried through the regular court system years ago and either be getting on with their lives or doing time. The U.S. court system worked fine on the sweep of possible traitor and saboteurs in 1942, and we'd actually been attacked by the armed might of a real sovereign nation, had war declared on us by that nation's allies, and were directing our efforts towards dealing with those who'd actually done it.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"In my view, history will show that this president never seriously prosecuted this war, never took his responsibility seriously, never provided sufficient resources, never even gave it his full attention. That became clear to me in 2003. I didn't get it beforehand because I just assumed that any American president would understand the gravity of the decisions he was taking and would ensure that he took all means to guarantee victory. But Bush didn't. He ran this war like a distracted frat boy, irritated by the distractions it required, and outsourced its execution to two unhinged aides. In other words: he wimped out." -- Andrew Sullivan
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"This is funny. The White House Correspondents' Association has apparently asked this year's comedic guest -- Rich Little -- not to give the president any grief since things are so bad for him already. And also no mentions of Iraq. The president is still recovering from last year's Colbert appearance."
-- Josh Marshall, link
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I didn't find the article about Rich Little, but the link led me to "The 50 most Loathsome people of 2006" - funny. smart. check it out.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

I saw the Rich Little thing on Huffington Post last week. It's a marvel to me how long it's taken most people to realize W IS NOT INTERESTED in the good of the U.S., the world, or even poor old Texas (putting the tough-guy face on what was the most disasterous governorship of the 20th century).
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

PAUL BEGALA, CNN POLITICAL ANALYST: Really, it's stunning. It's a great interview, and — because we saw the real Dick Cheney, you know, a really remarkable, probably historic, combination of arrogance, incompetence and dishonesty.

This is a man who, when he took office, Richard Clarke, the chief counterterrorism czar, told him that bin Laden was going to try to attack America. He ignored it. The president told him to chair a task force on terrorism. He refused to even convene it until after 9/11. He was too busy helping his friends at Enron and Exxon with his energy task force.

He told the country that Iraq was an imminent threat. He was wrong. He told us that they had a nuclear program — he was wrong — biological stockpiles, chemical stockpiles, that there were links to al Qaeda, that there were secret meetings between Mohamed Atta, the leader of the hijacking ring that attacked us on 9/11, and Saddam Hussein's government; they had a secret meeting in Prague. That was a fabrication as well — on and on.

It really is staggering, the — the level of this man's mendacity and arrogance, in the face — if he had any decency, he would simply resign, Wolf. He would give you an interview. He would say: You know, I give up. I have ruined — I have ruined the country in my first term. I'm ruining the world in my second term.

link
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Good for Paul Begala! The only thing HE was "kind" or "mendacious" on is Cheney being "wrong" about Iraq (imminent threat, nuclear program, WMDs, connections to al Qaeda...). Cheney wasn't wrong, he lied. He knew very well none of that was true. He pulled the whole thing out of his ass to support an attack on a sovereign nation he wanted control over. That his boss wanted to start armageddon wasn't a problem - you have to believe in armageddon before you worry about it - but since the invasion of Iraq fit in well with both their goals, what's a few lies?
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"He's very white...He is colorless. For whites, I think he's colorless.
You don't notice that he is black. So he might as well be white..."
-- Glenn Beck, CNN's most racist GOP bastard link
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"The openly gay Etheridge kissed her partner Tammy Lynn Michaels on the lips when her name was announced and onstage referred to Michaels as her wife. The couple held a commitment ceremony in 2003 and are the parents of twins.

"Maybe someone at home is going, `Did she say wife?'" Etheridge said backstage. "I was kissing her because that's what you do, you kiss your loved one when you win an Oscar, that's what I grew up believing."

link
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Variation:

"I pledge a grievance to the flag of the plighted states of America, & to the republics upon which it stands: one nation playing God, blind & visible, claiming liberty and justice for all."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Falwell says Christians shouldn't focus on global warming

Post by Dardedar »

Falwell says Christians shouldn't focus on global warming

LYNCHBURG, Va. The Reverend Jerry Falwell says global warming is "Satan's attempt to redirect the church's primary focus" from evangelism to environmentalism. Falwell told his Baptist congregation in Lynchburg yesterday that "the jury is still out" on whether humans are causing -- or could stop -- global warming.

But he said some "naive Christian leaders" are being "duped" by arguments like those presented in former Vice President Al Gore's documentary "An Inconvenient Truth. Falwell says the documentary should have been titled "A Convenient Untruth."

Falwell said the Bible teaches that God will maintain the Earth until Jesus returns, so Christians should be responsible environmentalists, but not what he calls ... quote ... "first-class nuts."

DAR
What would Fawell know about "first-class nuts"?
Barbara Fitzpatrick

The bible doesn't teach anything, being an inanimate object - however, even if it says in the bible (and you believe divine authorship) that god will maintain the earth until the 2nd coming, it doesn't say in what condition.

If I were a fundamentalist christian, I'd be hopping on the global warming bandwagon just as fast as I could. Especially if I believed the 2nd coming was going to be anytime soon. Would YOU want to face your dad's return if you'd totally destroyed the house and smashed the car while he was gone? Falwell has apparently blocked the memory of what fundie parents call discipline.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:if you'd totally destroyed the house...
DAR
But what if he was just going to burn it up anyway? Plus, there is the prophecy bit. A verse says if God didn't step in, no life would be spared. This suggests it is going to be a real mess near the end. Xtian's want their Bible's prophecies to come true....
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I know that Ann Coulter needs publicity in the same way that a tapeworm needs a large intestine. This is the environment that makes it possible for her to continue to make a living doing what she does." --Rachel Maddow