Political Quotes of the Day

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

Coulter's take on Darfur:

"These people can't even wrap up genocide. We've been hearing about this slaughter in Darfur forever - and they still haven't finished. The aggressors are moving like termites across that country. It's like genocide by committee. Who's running this holocaust in Darfur, FEMA?
This is truly a war in which we have absolutely no interest."

"She's asking for a more speedy genocide. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the voice of the Republican Party. Never–ever–let them try to untie themselves from this abomination of a partisan hack." --C & L

Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

That's a good example of how one can take a quote out of context to make it seem outrageous. In context, Coulter is making a point that most everyone would agree with - that the goings-on in Darfur are no significant threat to Americans (while making fun of hypocritical liberals who are anti-war wrt Iraq but pro-war wrt Darfur.)
Ann Coulter wrote:Saddam's barbaric rape rooms, chemical attacks and torture — those, liberals could live with. But now they want us to send troops to Darfur, a country from which no one anticipates terrorism anytime in the next millennium. If you're looking for a good definition of "no imminent threat," Darfur is it. The climate change "emergency," set to start taking effect sometime during the next century, is a more imminent threat to the United States than Darfur.

These people can't even wrap up genocide. We've been hearing about this slaughter in Darfur forever — and they still haven't finished. The aggressors are moving like termites across that country. It's like genocide by committee. Who's running this holocaust in Darfur, FEMA?

This is truly a war in which we have absolutely no interest. But liberals want our boys to go fight scimitar-wielding dervishes.
Here's the Coulter column in question. I don't agree with much she has to say, but she's often very funny, and wonderful at skewering "liberal" claptrap. She's everything "liberals" deserve!
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), 4/8/07:
“Extremist Shiite militia leader Moqtada al-Sadr is in hiding, his followers are not contesting American forces”

vs.

Muqtada al-Sadr, 4/9/07:
“‘You, the Iraqi army and police forces, don’t walk alongside the occupiers, because they are your archenemy,’ the al-Sadr statement said. He urged his followers not to attack fellow Iraqis but to turn all their efforts on American forces."

Sadr has called a rally today where “hundreds of thousands of Shia protesters have burned and trampled on US flags in the Iraqi holy city of Najaf.” Despite McCain’s claim that Sadr is not “contesting” the U.S. occupation...

source
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I'll never forget the sight of all those B-1s out there. The Berlin Wall had not fallen yet and we were still in the midst of the Cold War. I had dreams of being in a flight suit, hearing the scramble signal, and heading to Moscow with the bombs loaded." --Limbaugh
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I think Bush should visit the real world once in a while. Am I the only guy who's fed up? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone nods their heads when Bush say, 'Stay the course.'"

--Lee Iacocca, who supported Dubya in 2000 but now gives him an 'F' in leadership, excerpted from his new book. Detroit News

Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

Iacocca wrote:...we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind...
LOL! Pretty ironic, coming from a former world champion "gangster" recipient of corporate welfare!
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
No doubt the freemarket worshippers of the day were some upset when Iaccoa got the goverment to step in and save Chrysler by backing some loans. Perhaps they are still a little embarrassed at how well it worked and at being so wrong.

D.
------------------------
"Realizing that the company would go out of business if it did not receive a significant amount of money to turn the company around, Iacocca approached the United States Congress in 1979 and asked for a loan guarantee. While it is sometimes said that Congress lent Chrysler the money, it, in fact, only guaranteed the loans. Most thought this was an unprecedented move, but Iacocca pointed to the government bail-outs of the airline and railroad industries, arguing that more jobs were at stake in Chrysler's possible demise. In the end, though the decision was controversial, Iacocca received the loan guarantee from the government.

After receiving this reprieve, Chrysler released the first of the K-Car line, the Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant in 1981, compact automobiles based on design proposals that Ford had rejected during Iacocca's tenure there. Coming right after the oil crisis of the 1970s, these small, efficient and inexpensive, front-wheel drive cars sold rapidly.... Because of these three cars, and the reforms Iacocca implemented, the company turned around quickly and was actually able to repay the government-backed loans seven years earlier than expected; most of it came from cars built on the K platform." link
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I believe it’s unfair to a great political party – unfair to Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and Dwight David Eisenhower – to call the current tenants at 1600 Pennsylvania “Republicans.” A new label is far more appropriate, because it describes the end state likely to emerge from their transfiguration of American political institutions, namely “Banana-Republicans.”

Without attempting a comprehensive review, here are a few of the basic points of distinction between Republicans and Banana-Republicans:"

Harper's. The rest here
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

Darrel wrote:No doubt the freemarket worshippers of the day were some upset when Iaccoa got the goverment to step in and save Chrysler by backing some loans. Perhaps they are still a little embarrassed at how well it worked and at being so wrong.
Wrong on so many counts. My reply is here in a new thread.
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

Back in early 2006, a plan in the Virginia legislature to allow for concealed carry on the state’s college campuses failed in subcommittee. A representative of Virginia Tech said that the bill’s defeat would make “parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus.”

Perhaps it did make a lot of people feel safer. But the indisputable fact, which everyone should recognize by now, is that criminals don’t follow the law. Someone who is not going to obey laws against murder is not going to flinch at a law forbidding the carrying of weapons. And the notion that a gun law can eliminate weapons is just a fantasy, as any liberal who understands the failure of the drug war should by now see. Indeed, all these weapons prohibitions ever do is disarm those who are willing to follow the law, leaving them defenseless against criminals willing to break the law. Gun control rendered these students helpless, even as it did nothing to stop the killer.
- from Protection, Disarmament and Massacre by Anthony Gregory
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Let's keep this thread for current political quotes and redirect any associated commentary to either an appropriate existing thread or a new thread.

--Savonarola, Politics moderator
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"Don Imus was fired because he was critical of Hillary. This is an election year. Clinton Inc., You get on their case, they're going to take you out."
-- Rush Limbaugh
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"You've answered 'I don't know' or 'I can't recall' to close to a hundred questions, you're not familiar with the workings of much of your department, and we still don't have convincing explanations of the who, what and why of the firings. I urge you to reexamine your performance and, for the good of the department and the good of country, step down."
--Chuck Schumer to Attorney General Gonzales
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"Barbara Boxer thinks that killing babies is okay, but killing college students is bad." -- Rush
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

“Last November, the American people said they were frustrated and wanted a change in our strategy in Iraq. I listened. Today, General David Petraeus is carrying out a strategy that is dramatically different from our previous course. The American people did not vote for failure, and that is precisely what the Democratic leadership’s bill would guarantee.” --Bush

Bonus: Greg Sargent observes...
“The American people voted in 2006 for a change of course in Iraq. Bush gave them a change of course in the form of a ’surge.’ This shows, therefore, that he listened to the American people and gave them the change they wanted.”
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I spoke with a half-dozen prominent GOP operatives this past week, most of them high-level officials in the Reagan and Bush I and Bush II administrations, and I heard the same devastating critique: This White House is isolated and ineffective; the country has stopped listening to President Bush, just as it once tuned out the hapless Jimmy Carter; the president's misplaced sense of personal loyalty is hurting his party and the nation.

This is the most incompetent White House I've seen since I came to Washington," said one GOP senator. "The White House legislative liaison team is incompetent, pitiful, embarrassing. My colleagues can't even tell you who the White House Senate liaison is. There is rank incompetence throughout the government. It's the weakest Cabinet I've seen." And remember, this is a Republican talking."

Washington Post
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"My job is a job to make decisions. I'm a decision -- if the job description were, 'What do you do?' -- it's decision-maker. And I make a lot of big ones, and I make a lot of little ones. The first decision I made happened right before I got sworn in as president. I was getting ready to give my inaugural address. And the phone rang, and the head usher at the White House said, 'President-elect Bush, what color rug do you want in the Oval Office?' I said, 'This is going to be a decision-making experience.'"
-- Dubya, on his decision to pick the color of the rug
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"Voters shouldn't be weary of Romney being a Mormon. There are wild people in many religions. I mean it was in 1897 that bigamy was outlawed in that church. You know we have a lot of Christian wild people too, and a lot of Jewish wild people and a lot of Muslim wild people. The Mormon religion takes care of it's own, they don't have people on welfare.”
-- Barbara Bush, revealing why Dim Son grew up so twisted
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

MONTREAL (AFP) - Environmental crusader and former US vice president
Al Gore on Saturday accused the Canadian government of preparing a fraudulent emissions cutback plan, drawing a sharp response from Ottawa.

snip...
"I'm hearing that a reduction in intensity is going to be presented to the Canadian people as a legitimate policy. In my opinion it is a complete and total fraud. It is designed to mislead the Canadian people," Gore said.

link

ps Gore's right.
ChristianLoeschel

Post by ChristianLoeschel »

If this Virginia Tech shooter had an ideology, what do you think it was? This guy had to be a liberal.

Rush Limbaugh