Political Quotes of the Day

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Political Quotes of the Day

Post by Doug »

Darrel wrote:"Yesterday we had to get rid of our guns." --Rush Limbaugh
Really? Where was this? Obama finally took away everyone's guns? No, it's just Limbaugh lying again. But this one's a whopper. No wonder he's losing listeners for his radio show. And he's getting desperate.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Teddy

Real quote.
"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"I'm not a skeptic because I want to believe, I'm a skeptic because I want to know." --Michael Shermer
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

President Carter on Chavez:

"President Chávez will be remembered for his bold assertion of autonomy and independence for Latin American governments and for his formidable communication skills and personal connection with supporters in his country and abroad to whom he gave hope and empowerment. During his 14-year tenure, Chávez joined other leaders in Latin America and the Caribbean to create new forms of integration. Venezuelan poverty rates were cut in half, and millions received identification documents for the first time allowing them to participate more effectively in their country's economic and political life.

At the same time, we recognize the divisions created in the drive towards change in Venezuela and the need for national healing. We hope that as Venezuelans mourn the passing of President Chávez and recall his positive legacies — especially the gains made for the poor and vulnerable — the political leaders will move the country forward by building a new consensus that ensures equal opportunities for all Venezuelans to participate in every aspect of national life."

Carter Center

The hatred and vitriol from right wingnuts on HuffPo comment threads is something to behold. It's not clear whether they hate him more because he openly and brazenly mocked their Bush, or because he so effectively helped the poor.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"Pamela and the many others that call yourselves republicans but stand for normalcy like birth control and educating kids about birth control obviously haven't read the 62 page 2012 Republican Platform document. I just went through it so that I could comment accurately.

The platform clearly states that kids should be educated with abstinence only and should not have access to birth control. It also states schools should not have any family planning programs to assist kids that get pregnant to raise those kids or to help them graduate. The platform also calls for "individual responsibility" and "self reliance" rather than public assistance.
So to summarize the 2012 Republican Platform in regards to the sexuality of a teenage girl.

They should be taught abstinence only, should not be allowed to use birth control. If she gets pregnant she cannot have an abortion, she must carry the baby to term. There will be no school programs to help her graduate. Once she has the baby there should be no assistance for child care so that she can finish high school as she should be self reliant. She will be forced to drop out because the only way to afford child care is to work. Because she will be a high school dropout her job potential includes fast food.

If you are a teenage girl don't make the mistake of having sex because the republicans will want to screw you again."

--Saw it on Facebook.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"Today's GOP may desperately need to remake itself as "culturally modern, environmentally responsible and economically inclusive," argues David Frum, a veteran of the George W. Bush White House, but it remains, he says, in the throes of a "Tea Party tantrum."
As it works to lock in as many retrograde policies as possible before it finally chooses to either modernize or die, the Republican Party is like a wounded beast: Rarely has it been more dangerous."

The GOP's Real Agenda - Rolling Stone
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

"The U.S. war with Iraq did not begin 10 years ago when ground forces were unleashed for a dash to Baghdad on March 20, 2003. Nor the day before when limited bombing began. Nor the day after when the massive assault labeled "shock and awe" got under way. The war really started around 2:40 PM ET on Sept. 11, 2001, while the dust from the fallen twin towers still choked the streets of Lower Manhattan. It was then that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, as recorded by Undersecretary Stephen Cambone, said:
“best info fast. Judge whether good enough hit S.H. [Saddam Hussein] at same time. Not only UBL
[Osama bin Laden].… Need to move swiftly.… Go massive. Sweep it all up. Things related and not.”

Daily KOS
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Maddow responds to Rand Paul's old "Democrats were the racists" thing:

"The Democratic Party, in the first half of the 20th century, was home to two broad, competing constituencies -- southern whites with abhorrent views on race, and white progressives and African Americans in the north, who sought to advance the cause of civil rights. The party struggled with this conflict for years, before ultimately siding with an inclusive, liberal agenda.

As the party shifted, the Democratic mainstream embraced its new role. Republicans, meanwhile, also changed. In the wake of Democratic President Lyndon Johnson signing the Civil Rights Act, the Republican Party welcomed the white supremacists who no longer felt comfortable in the Democratic Party. Indeed, in 1964, Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater boasted of his opposition to the Civil Rights Act, and made it part of his platform.

It was right around this time when figures like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond made the transition -- leaving the progressive, diverse, tolerant Democratic Party for the GOP.

In the years that followed, Democrats embraced their role as the party of inclusion and civil rights. Republicans, meanwhile, became the party of the "Southern Strategy," opposition to affirmative action, campaigns based on race-baiting, vote-caging, discriminatory voter-ID laws, and politicians like Helms and Thurmond. (A Republican congressman from Texas named Ron Paul also criticized Abraham Lincoln for waging the Civil War, while also opposing the Civil Rights Act.)

Paul's remarks emphasized Democratic tactics in the South, and the observations aren't wrong -- Southern Democrats were, for generations after the Civil War -- on the wrong side.

The problem, however, is with the relevance of the observation. Which matters more in contemporary politics: that white supremacists were Southern Democrats or that white supremacists made a new home in the Republican Party in the latter half of the 20th century?

Democrats have no reason to sweep this history under the rug: they eventually got it right, and dispatched the racists and segregationists to the GOP, which welcomed them and their racial attitudes. Indeed, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee conceded just a few years ago that his party deliberately used racial division for electoral gain for the last four decades. (This includes, by the way, Ronald Reagan.)

By Rand Paul's reasoning, voters should care less about the last four decades, and more about the Democratic Party's divisions four generations ago. I'm afraid that's backwards.

If history ended in the 1960s, Paul may have a slightly more legitimate point. But given what we've seen over the last half-century, the more salient point is that Dems have been part of the solution on race, and the GOP has been part of the problem."

LINK
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Poor republican, people just can't understand what he really means, and that's not his fault, it's yours. Hilarious.

Peter Hansen, New Hampshire Lawmaker, Calls Women 'Vaginas' In Email To Colleagues

State Rep. Peter Hansen (R) made the comment, first reported by New Hampshire political blogger Susan the Bruce, in an April 1 email debate with colleagues about a "stand your ground" gun bill. Hansen's colleague, Rep. Steve Vaillancourt (R) had delivered a lengthy floor speech about the benefits of retreating instead of using deadly force, to which Hansen replied in an email:
What could possibly be missing from those factual tales of successful retreat in VT, Germany, and the bowels of Amsterdam? Why children and vagina's of course. While the tales relate the actions of a solitary male the outcome cannot relate to similar situations where children and women and mothers are the potential victims.
Hansen's comments are particularly bold in New Hampshire, the only state with a female governor and an all-female delegation to Congress. The speaker of the state House and the chief justice of the state Supreme Court also are both women.

Hansen initially did not back down. But on Tuesday, he claimed his comments were misinterpreted and he apologized "to those who took offense."
"Can there be any doubt my comment is being misinterpreted and taken completely out of context?" Hansen said in a statement. "It was not, and is not, my intention to demean women at any time. It is apparent that the intent of my remarks has been misinterpreted, the true goal of the message lost and for that I apologize to those who took offense."
LINK
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

The George Bush Two-step:
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »