DICK SHOOTS WAD. HITS MAN IN FACE.

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
RickBaber
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

DICK SHOOTS WAD. HITS MAN IN FACE.

Post by RickBaber »

Just wanted to get that headline posted before anybody else did.
Am I too late? I'm having trouble navigating here...just learning.

Isn't it GREAT to hear all the Bush Admin Apologists blaming the VICTIM for getting shot by Dick Cheney? I think Saddam should use the same defense: "They shouldn't have walked so close to the plastic shredder!"
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Good to see your post Baber. Apparently we just missed you by five minutes at Georges the other night.
Jon Stewart was hilarious on this Cheney thing tonight. Here is a little excerpt for those who didn't catch it:

"Whittington was mistaken for a bird."

"Don't let your kids go hunting with the Vice President. I don't care what kind of lucrative contracts they're trying to land or-energy regulations they're trying to get lifted. He'll shoot them in the face."

Rob Courdry joined in.

Courdry: "Jon, tonight the Vice President is standing by his decision to shoot Harry Whittington. Now according to the best intelligence available, there were quail hidden in the brush. Everyone believed at the time-there-were-quail in the brush. And while the quail turned out to be the 78 year old man. Even knowing that today, Mr. Cheney insists-he still would have shot Mr. Whittington in the face."

Doug

Why the Delay?

Post by Doug »

DOUG
No, not Tom "Money-Launderer" Delay. I mean the delay between the time that Cheney shot his friend in the face and its revelation to the media.

Mrs. Armstrong, the ranch owner where this happened, tells a different story than the Cheney camp. It also seems that a sheriff deputy who went to question Cheney that night was turned away by the Secret Service. Armstrong said she didn't think that the Cheney bunch was aware that she was going to tell the media Sunday morning, specifically a local paper there. The Cheney people say they conferred with her before she went to the media.

Why the differing accounts? What are they covering up? Was Cheney drunk? Or were they just waiting to see if their friend died or something?
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
RickBaber

Post by RickBaber »

Google "Dick Cheney hunting jokes". There are already LOTS of 'em.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

chaney hunting jokes

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Why the heck is this so funny - I mean, it IS and I'm laughing as much as the rest, but a man got hurt here. Molly Ivins called him the only liberal Republican in the state of Texas and pointed out the irony of Chaney winging him, but still he got hurt. The Rs (and even the Libertarians) are running around blaming him for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - and heaven knows, Chaney will never accept responsibility for the (hopefully) accident! To a certain extent, it's such a small thing besides the evils this man has done - it's sort of like chortling because Hitler stepped on his favorite dog or something. Any ideas?
Doug

Re: chaney hunting jokes

Post by Doug »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:To a certain extent, it's such a small thing besides the evils this man has done - it's sort of like chortling because Hitler stepped on his favorite dog or something. Any ideas?
DOUG
The poor shot guy is not doing very well. Comedians may have to tone down the jokes, but the outrage should still be there: why did Cheney's office not come forward with this immediately? Clinton couldn't stink up a bathroom without the Republican hate machine calling for hearings, and here our vice-president shot some guy and we can't even get the full story? This is beyond the pale.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
(Baber)

Post by (Baber) »

A guy at Arkansas Times blog, who claims to have direct connections to the hospital the guy is in says he's told the press is not accurately reporting the information.
Imagine that.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

guy chaney shot

According to NYT, a pellet moved into the heart muscle - he's back in intensive care. Everybody is toning down the jokes - the guy's 78 & his heart doesn't need any help in acting up. If his heart doesn't settle down, they'll have him on rat poison (Comidin) for the rest of his life - or possibly try stopping and restarting his heart to get it back to normal rhythm. But, of course, according to "White House sources", it's still his fault. He shouldn't have been in front of wherever Chaney was shooting.
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Hey folks, it's easy and fun to post pictures here. If you find a picture on the internet you like (no triple x please), right click on it and "save image location." This copies the link to the picture.

Then come here and click on the "Img" button, paste your link, then hit the image button again. That's it.

Regarding Cheney, here is a nice list of his whoppers:

Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Dardedar
Site Admin

Cheney doesn't give a flying duck

Post by Dardedar »

Slightly dated Cheney Scalia hunting cartoon:

http://www.justiceisduckblind.com/

D.
-------------------------------
CHENEY SAYS SHOOTING OF FELLOW HUNTER WAS BASED ON FAULTY INTELLIGENCE
Believed Shooting Victim Was Zawahiri, Veep Says

Vice President Dick Cheney revealed today that he shot a fellow hunter while on a quail hunting trip over the weekend because he believed the man was the fugitive terror mastermind Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Mr. Cheney acknowledged that the man he sprayed with pellets on Saturday was not al-Zawahiri but rather Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old millionaire lawyer from Austin, blaming the mix-up on “faulty intelligence.”

“I believed I had credible intelligence that al-Zawahiri had infiltrated my hunting party in disguise with the intent of spraying me with pellets,” Mr. Cheney told reporters. “Only after I shot Harry in the face and he shouted ‘Cheney, you bastard’ did I realize that this intelligence was faulty.”

Moments after Mr. Cheney’s assault on Mr. Whittington, Mr. al-Zawahiri appeared in a new videotape broadcast on al-Jazeera to announce that he was uninjured in the vice president’s attack because, in his words, “I was in Pakistan.”

An aide to the vice president said he believed that the American people would believe Mr. Cheney’s version of events, but added, “If he was going to shoot any of his cronies right now it’s a shame it wasn’t Jack Abramoff.”

At the White House, President George W. Bush defended his vice president’s shooting of a fellow hunter, saying that the attack sent “a strong message to terrorists everywhere.”

“The message is, if Dick Cheney is willing to shoot an innocent American citizen at point-blank range, imagine what he’ll do to you,” Mr. Bush said.

Elsewhere, aviator Steve Fossett completed his three-day journey around the globe, setting a world record for wasting both time and money.

From: http://www.borowitzreport.com/archive_r ... 1320&srch=
Betsy (not signed in)

Post by Betsy (not signed in) »

the Daily Show has done some HILARIOUS stuff on this - my favorite was the "reenactment" with the old duckhunter video game playing and then a guy stands up in front of the TV and goes "HEY, ANYBODY SEEN MY THERMOS?" and gets shot in the face. Sorry, but it cracked me up.

Now that the guy has had a heart attack, everyone is toning it down and Dick Cheney supposedly accepted full responsibility for it all today.
THIS JUST IN

Post by THIS JUST IN »

Cheney Could Face Charges in Shooting

AP - 2 hours, 6 minutes ago

DALLAS - If the man wounded by Dick Cheney dies, the vice president could -- in theory at least -- face criminal charges, even though the shooting was an accident. Dallas defense attorney David Finn, who has been a state and a federal prosecutor, said Wednesday that a Texas grand jury could bring a charge of criminally negligent homicide if there is evidence the vice president knew or should have known "there was a substantial or unjustifiable risk that his actions would result in him shooting a fellow hunter."
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Does anybody know the legal technicalities of involuntary manslaughter?
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

This was discussed on a radio show. If the guy dies, Cheney could be up for murder #2 in Texas. The guy gave an example of someone who went to jail for something similar.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Betsy (not signed in) wrote:Now that the guy has had a heart attack, everyone is toning it down and Dick Cheney supposedly accepted full responsibility for it all today.
DOUG
Yes, now that the "blaming the victim" tactic didn't work, Cheney has confessed.

But he has still not apologized. You'd think that for a person who had a real heart, saying you're sorry would be the first thing out of his mouth.

And remember, I told you he was drinking. Cheney admits having "a beer" at lunch that day. Right. The proverbial one or two beers that drunk people confess when they have screwed up. It happens on "Cops" all the time.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

chaney accepts responsibility

Rove probably told him it was the only way to get the media off his case - not MSM, but the standup comics. It's not likely, but he could have apologized to the guy when it happened (sort of like the kid who says, "I'm sorry" over and over again after breaking a window in the hopes of not getting his tail beat - except he hasn't worried about getting his tail beat since he became the beater). Chaney wouldn't like time in a TX prison any more than he liked time in Viet Nam, so he will have "other priorities". The alcohol level of his blood is the probable reason for the delay in reporting. That's at least one thing the Ted Kennedy thing brought about - being drunk is no longer an accepted excuse (even for Republicans).
Dardedar
Site Admin

The neo-con practice of repeating a lie until it's believed

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Too good not to share:

Repeating the Lie until It Becomes True

My favorite of these is a technique that is quickly becoming ineffective. Just keep asserting something to be the truth over and over again. Will it to be true.

I knew, when I watch Scottie's Monday press conference, that Katharine Armstrong did not really witness the shooting she claimed to have seen. How did I know? Because Scottie said, no fewer than six times, that Katharine Armstrong was an eyewitness, or that she saw what happened. When this crowd repeats something that many times, you can bet they're lying.

The Vice President spoke with Mrs. Katherine Armstrong and they agreed that she should make that information public. She was an eyewitness, she saw what occurred and she called her local paper to provide those facts to the local paper.

[snip]

The Vice President thought that Mrs. Armstrong should be the first one to give that information out, since she was an eyewitness.

[snip]

I mean, Mrs. Armstrong was there and saw that --

{snip]

hang on, hang on -- she was an eyewitness to what occurred and could provide the facts to the press.

[snip]

Well, Mrs. Armstrong provided that information. She was the eyewitness to what took place. [my emphasis]

And guess what? I was right. Ms. Armstrong herself admits that the first indication she had that something was wrong was when she saw the Secret Service responding to the accident--and even then, she thought Dick's ticker had given out.

Armstrong said she saw Cheney’s security detail running toward the scene. "The first thing that crossed my mind was he had a heart problem," she told The Associated Press.

DAR
A few more of "Cheney's and Rove's favorite techniques for lying":

Erasing the Evidence

Referencing a Doctored Report

Hiding the Witnesses

Working Media Timelines

See them here:

http://thenexthurrah.typepad.com/the_ne ... .html#more

JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I saw a report last night that the local sherrif said Cheney would not be charged with anything. I wounder how many shares of Haliburton were in his Valentines Day card!

James
Barbara Fitzpatrick

In TX, if you shoot somebody and that person doesn't die, you don't get arrested unless/until the victim presses charges - it's like any other crime of violence in TX, if the victim doesn't care, who does? (Of course, we pretend that victims bribed, extorted, or just too scared to press charges just doesn't happen.)