Bush on Brokeback Mountain

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Bush on Brokeback Mountain

Post by Doug »

DOUG writes:
Did you folks see the clip of Bush answering a question about whether he's seen Brokeback Mountain? The person asking the question said he's a rancher, and he asked Bush what he thought of the Brokeback Mountain movie.

Bush said he hadn't seen it, but he added something odd. (No surprise there.) Bush then added, "I hope you go back to your ranch or farm..."

What is that supposed to mean? To me, it sounded insulting, as if he were saying, "I wish you would get out of here," or something to that effect. It seemed to convey the impression that he wished the questioner were not present. Since the guy who asked the question said he thought Bush would enjoy the movie, I suspect that GW formed the impression that the guy is gay. So to me it sounded like a homophobic thing for Bush to say.

You can see the clip here.

http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00002320.htm
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Actually, the first time I listened to it, I felt that the questioner's statement of "W is for Wisconsin" was a jab at Bush's near illiteracy... After listening again later I changed my mind, but perhaps Bush felt like throwing a barb back?

Listening again seems to do wonders. For example, the first time, I agreed entirely with Doug: it seemed that Bush had labeled the guy as a homosexual and would rather the guy not be there. But after listening again, it sounds more like classic Dubya-speak: he was going to BS something, changed his mind, then told everybody the gist of what he was going to say anyway. I think he actually meant that he hoped the guy would return to the farm/ranch way of life.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Doug »

Savonarola wrote:I think he actually meant that he hoped the guy would return to the farm/ranch way of life.
DOUG
OK, fair enough. But had they guy ever said he'd abandoned it?
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Doug wrote:OK, fair enough. But had they guy ever said he'd abandoned it?
Good point. I think we may be forced to conclude that the combination of Bush's inability to speak intelligibly and his disturbingly low IQ makes it difficult to extract his intended message from the words he actually says. (Of course, that assumes he has a message to convey at all...)
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Doug, I think the quote is actually more like "Those willing to give up essential liberties for security deserve neither security nor liberty." --Benjamin Franklin

But I'd have to expend some time and effort to make sure that's exactly right, so I'm just going to guess at it.