Britney Sculpture of Birth Causes Stir

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Tamara

Britney Sculpture of Birth Causes Stir

Post by Tamara »

NEW YORK -
Britney Spears will soon be giving birth again — in Brooklyn, as a sexy sculpture that has drawn thousands of hate e-mails.

"This is a new take on pro-life. Pro-lifers normally promote bloody images of abortion. This is the image of birth," Daniel Edwards said of his work.
snip

When some bloggers heard about the exhibit — "Monument to Pro-Life: The Birth of Sean Preston" — the gallery was inundated with about 3,000 e-mails from around the world in just a week, split between pro-choice and pro-life opinions.

"We also got calls from Tokyo, England, France. Some people are upset that Britney is being used for this subject matter," said gallery co-owner David Kesting. "Others who are pro-life thought this was degrading to their movement. And some pro-choice people were upset that this is a pro-life monument."
snip

His aim, said the son of a mother who gave birth to him when she was 17, was to stir up debate about a difficult topic that "is greater than the issues presented by either pro-life and pro-choice advocates."

When asked whether he's pro-life, he said, "You nailed me. I'm not saying that I am. I wouldn't march with either pro-life or pro-choice advocates. This is not meant to be political."

A Democrat, "I don't judge anybody for the decision they make."

Tamara

Post by Tamara »

I'd be willing to bet that the same pro-lifers that like to show graphic abortion images would be offended, if not horrified, by this pro-life statue.
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Tamara wrote:I'd be willing to bet that the same pro-lifers that like to show graphic abortion images would be offended, if not horrified, by this pro-life statue.
Absolutely. The irony isn't lost on those of us who know better...
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

DAR
Especially if it is anatomically accurate when viewed from the posterior.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

I just read that it shows the crowning.

ETA: from here:
The sculpture shows Brit naked and pregnant, crouching face-down on a bear rug as the baby's head appears at her opposite end.
Tamara

Post by Tamara »

It shows the crowning! Oh the horror! Warning: reality shown at link. If you prefer to live in a world where your meat was never slaughtered but showed up in neat little packages by the meat fairy, this could disturb you. Likewise if your children came delivered in fluffy blankets by the stork, you may not be able to fathom the images.
Last edited by Tamara on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

Brittany was lucky. Back in the day when I was giving birth women were forced to do it on their backs with their feet up in the air - for the convenience of the "attending" doctor, and never mind that position is only second to standing on your head for birthing a baby.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I read somewhere that Britney chose to avoid the whole going into labor, vaginal birth ordeal by scheduling a Cesarean Section prior to her due date because people told her childbirth hurt, and she didn't want it to hurt. So Sean P.'s birth looked nothing like this. She was strapped to a gurney with a sheet in front of her face, most of her body was numb and she was high on some super fantastic painkillers.
Doug

Crowning, Shmowning

Post by Doug »

DOUG
Just gimme an evening in the museum alone with it.

Just kidding...
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Here's what a comedian who writes on wwtdd.com said about the Britney sculpture:

I'm not a doctor, despite what my hunky calendar may have led you to believe, but I have done a lot of research on childbirth. And by "done a lot research", I mean "not done any research". Even still, I'm almost positive this isn't what it looks like when a woman gives birth. The bear head looks right, of course. Which is good, because most accidents happen because people get cocky and tempt fate but not giving birth while grabbing the bear head. I just don't think women normally lay in that pose. That pose is really more for conception, unless she's trying to see how far she can shoot the baby. Grow up Britney.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Nah, the kid had just crowned (not leaving any room for Doug's fantasies), so she was in the process of getting into the squatting position that is most likely to get the kid out fastest. (And it's still easier to deliver a kid kneeling than laying on your back with your feet in the air.)
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Doug

Heh, heh...

Post by Doug »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:Nah, the kid had just crowned (not leaving any room for Doug's fantasies)
DOUG
You don't know my fantasy...
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Well, it couldn't have anything to do with putting anything in the vagina channel. Anything else is your business and, thankfully, is none of mine.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Doug

Hands off!

Post by Doug »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:Well, it couldn't have anything to do with putting anything in the vagina channel. Anything else is your business and, thankfully, is none of mine.
DOUG
In case you were wondering, I haven't touched those statues around the Walton Arts Center!
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

here's the statue from another angle...
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

dagnab it, for someone who's supposed to be really f'ing smart (see reference to IQ test in other thread) you'd think I could figure out how to post a photo. Oh, well.
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Betsy wrote:dagnab it, for someone who's supposed to be really f'ing smart (see reference to IQ test in other thread) you'd think I could figure out how to post a photo. Oh, well.
When trying to post an image, make sure the URL you put in is for a picture file: common examples are .jpg (or .jpeg), .gif, and .png. For example:
http://www.wwtdd.com/images/bs226.jpg
However, since this might be considered a bit, uhm, lewd, by some, let's stick with the webpage URL instead of posting the actual picture itself: http://www.wwtdd.com/images/bs226.shtml

P.S.: The "Preview" button is your very good friend.

Re: Crowning, Shmowning

Post by Guest »

Doug wrote:DOUG

Just kidding...
Doug,

You are a sick, sick man! But I am damn proud to know you.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Sorry all. That was my smart ass comment on the last post. I did not realize I was not logged in.
JamesH
"Knowledge will set you free, but freedom comes with responsibilities." I know that someone had to say that before me.
Doug

Re: Crowning, Shmowning

Post by Doug »

Anonymous wrote:
Doug wrote:DOUG

Just kidding...
Doug,

You are a sick, sick man! But I am damn proud to know you.
DOUG
Maybe one day they'll erect a statue to me!