Abortion cartoon

Discussing all things political in NW Arkansas and beyond.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Barbara Fitzpatrick »

I have long been in favor, in the case of women forced to bear and deliver children they don't want - especially as a result of rape or incest, of leaving said infant on the doorstep of the nearest "pro-life" politician, along with the hospital bill.
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Dardedar
Site Admin

Post by Dardedar »

Barbara Fitzpatrick wrote:I have long been in favor, in the case of women forced to bear and deliver children they don't want - especially as a result of rape or incest, of leaving said infant on the doorstep of the nearest "pro-life" politician, along with the hospital bill.
DAR
Even better. Lets see these weepy republicans, crying crocodile tears over the necessary destruction of frozen embryos (left over from infertile parents trying to have children, creat life, via the test tube method) line up to volunteer their wombs.

D.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

Darrel, the problem with that is most of the Repubs in question are male and don't have wombs - and volunteering somebody else's womb isn't the same thing at all (that's what they do every time they vote to restrict sex education, preventative measures, and access to abortion).
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

If these male pro-lifers are sincere, they should volunteer to have the fetus transplanted to their bodies. It's called an ectopic pregnancy. Of course, this would be a true test of faith - castration is required for such a procedure.
"May the the last king be strangled in the guts of the last priest." - Diderot
With every drop of my blood I hate and execrate every form of tyranny, every form of slavery. I hate dictation. I love liberty. - Ingersoll
Savonarola
Mod@Large
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Post by Savonarola »

Hogeye wrote:It's called an ectopic pregnancy.
"Ectopic pregnancy" is the generic term for any pregnancy where the zygote is implanted somewhere other than the uterine wall.

My question, of course, has to deal with how the fetus is nourished without a placenta. Not that there aren't many more questions...
Barbara Fitzpatrick

The fertilized egg creates the placenta - implanting the fertilized egg in the abdomen so it connect to the small intestine does all that's needed for that egg to generate the placenta, umbilical cord, and amniotic fluids as well as the baby itself. The problem of this occurring in some part of the body other than a uterus is there is nothing to support the structure of the placenta. Anybody doing this procedure would have to spend most of the pregnancy in bed - quite possibly not even getting up to go to the bathroom (bedpans are SO icky - and somebody else has to take care of them - if you could, you wouldn't need one). And, of course, the delivery would have to be by caesarean - which, while the current "delivery of choice" in America, has been shown to be related to neo-nate respiratory problems (apparently the head and spinal massage of birth canal delivery stimulates the respiratory system).
Barbara Fitzpatrick
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Barbara, you said something about unwanted pregnancies ending with babies on front porches or in trash bins, but that happens now, even with abortion being legal and available.

I firmly believe two things about abortion (and have other beliefs that aren't as firm) 1) if you don't believe in abortion, don't have one and 2) the best way to "fight" abortion is to have many more and much better programs assisting pregnant women, so they don't feel like they can't have their baby.

It's so simple, I don't understand why all these anti-abortionists don't just stop spending so much time and money trying to make abortion illegal and use both on making better programs.
Barbara Fitzpatrick

I didn't say, and didn't mean, dropping babies in trash bins - and not on any old front porch, either. My comment is basically that those who force women to have children they don't want (the politicians who vote against sex education, preventative measures, and abortion), should be responsible for raising them.

The anti-abortionists don't spend money for better programs to prevent pregnancy because they aren't interested in preventing pregnancy. They are interested in women maintaining their supposedly biblical place as inferior to men and the mechanism for keeping them there is to keep them "barefoot and pregnant" - and financially responsible for the baby's/ies' upbringing. Pregnancy is also the biblical punishment due women for having sex (you note men in general aren't biblically punished for having sex, although some specific men are for having sex with specific women). The anti-abortionist/fundies contend that without the threat of pregnancy, women would have more illicit sex.
Barbara Fitzpatrick